Subject: Feedback on card design rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Filip Baranowski
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
Hey guys!

Together with Joanna Efenberger we are working on our first card game (Interregnum) and would really appreciate your feedback on our card design.

The game will feature 30+ characters split between 4 factions. Please tell us what you think.

Illustrations and layout done by by Joanna Efenberger

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fbaranow wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like them, but they feel a bit empty/bland

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DJ Wilde
United States
Monroe
LA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the layout and the art. I do get the feeling that something could be more dynamic somehow but that's really hard to judge from two cards and not understanding the game itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Baranowski
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
GalaxyZento wrote:
I like the layout and the art. I do get the feeling that something could be more dynamic somehow but that's really hard to judge from two cards and not understanding the game itself.

You are right. I forgot to give context. The goal of the game will be to build a coalition of characters (courtiers, servants, nobles etc.) who will support your claim to the throne of a kingdom.
That is why the cards represent static portraits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Baranowski
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
abodi wrote:
I like them, but they feel a bit empty/bland

Thank you, Samuel. Do you mean empty background or card layout?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
number font could be larger

not sure about 'blandness' but, if they represent portraits, how about a picture frame? could be simple on some portraits, ornate on others, gilt on others, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
The central artwork is fine, and the overall sparse layout and lack of icon clutter is commendable, but I echo the sentiment that it's just bland.

There's nothing really setting these cards apart from other games or otherwise reinforcing your "brand." Nothing is drawing me into the card.

If you have cards on a table, you want to ask yourself if someone is walking by, will they stop and look? Right now, there's zero about these cards, other than artistic competency, which gets my attention.

There's scores of games out there with lousier artwork but better presentation. What can you do to make these cards distinct for your game? You're halfway there, and you have decent central art. You just need to frame and present it better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastián Koziner
Argentina
Capital Federal
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
OK Ediciones: Juegos de autor en Argentina - facebook.com/okediciones
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe if you zoom a little the chracters to cover the gray empty background, it will look better.
You can also comission a background more detailed, like inside a mansion or something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joanna Efenberger
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
Hi,
Thanks for all feedback, it's really appreciated for a newbies

The black frame visible in above is not entirely cropped, and to be honest there was an idea about frames, covered by fear of how the print will be cut.

This is some mock-up how it looks like on table:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Daeris ART wrote:
Hi,
Thanks for all feedback, it's really appreciated for a newbies

The black frame visible in above is not entirely cropped, and to be honest there was an idea about frames, covered by fear of how the print will be cut.

This is some mock-up how it looks like on table:

Better, but I agree with Sebastián. Zooming in on the characters and making them fill the frame as much as possible would help a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Naomi Ooooooooo

Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The black outline is too heavy, they feel like they were cut out of another picture. The man's hand doesn't feel connected to that orb either...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is purely a game-play mechanical observation.

I'm going to make some assumptions, please correct them if wrong.

Upper left corner represents a 'cost to play' of some kind.
Bottom of the card represents a 'resource granted' of some kind.

If I'm holding the cards in hand, the upper left index is probably what I'm looking at. I'll actually probably want to hold the cards in some way that shows both the index (cost) and benefit (resource), which will cause most of the portraits to be blocked when holding the cards.

If I've placed the cards in my tableau, the only piece of information that is valuable is the bottom, and I'll probably STACK the cards so just that information is visible (so the top costs don't get confused during play).

Stacking the cards will *also* block the portraits, except the top one. I'd be unlikely to have the cards in play as shown, especially if the only valuable piece of information on a card in tableau is the bottom resource part.

Basically, if the portraits are meant to convey some kind of value, at some point in the game they should be displayed. Based on my guesses, that time is currently 'never'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Baranowski
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
byronczimmer wrote:
This is purely a game-play mechanical observation.

I'm going to make some assumptions, please correct them if wrong.

Upper left corner represents a 'cost to play' of some kind.
Bottom of the card represents a 'resource granted' of some kind.

If I'm holding the cards in hand, the upper left index is probably what I'm looking at. I'll actually probably want to hold the cards in some way that shows both the index (cost) and benefit (resource), which will cause most of the portraits to be blocked when holding the cards.

If I've placed the cards in my tableau, the only piece of information that is valuable is the bottom, and I'll probably STACK the cards so just that information is visible (so the top costs don't get confused during play).

Stacking the cards will *also* block the portraits, except the top one. I'd be unlikely to have the cards in play as shown, especially if the only valuable piece of information on a card in tableau is the bottom resource part.

Basically, if the portraits are meant to convey some kind of value, at some point in the game they should be displayed. Based on my guesses, that time is currently 'never'.

Close, but not exactly . The upper left symbol represents one of the 4 factions / colours of cards and the lower one - effects of the card while it's on the table or being discarded from hand. The small number is not the cost but tier of the card (gives quick info about it's power and doubles as VP)

We would not recommend stacking the cards on the table as the player will have to be able to manipulate them (flip 90 degrees etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you could have a portrait frame and still have a plain 'bleed' on the outside. If frames were in 4 distinctly different designs - that could even be an 'icon' for a faction.

what do the backs look like? if they were asymmetric, it could reduce a little fumbling to get cards upright during game play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Baranowski
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
1 Lucky Texan wrote:
you could have a portrait frame and still have a plain 'bleed' on the outside. If frames were in 4 distinctly different designs - that could even be an 'icon' for a faction.

what do the backs look like? if they were asymmetric, it could reduce a little fumbling to get cards upright during game play.

We thought about the frames some time ago but decided to try the curtains in 4 different colours. The idea is for the card to be more "open" for lack of a better word.

As for the backs - we do not have a final design ready but we will probably be going with something asymmetric.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fbaranow wrote:
1 Lucky Texan wrote:

We thought about the frames some time ago but decided to try the curtains in 4 different colours. The idea is for the card to be more "open" for lack of a better word.

As for the backs - we do not have a final design ready but we will probably be going with something asymmetric.

gotcha - I think it's close and really, frames would just be a tweak.

if not a 'frame' maybe just a narrow intermediate border inside the black bleed - gold/bronze pinstripe or something?

make it your own and go with it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Baranowski
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks for your valuable input, guys!

We will experiment with the background / layout to try and make the cards stand out more.

You have been an encouragement for further work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Davidson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
Looks good. Great balance between function and theme.

You have room to make the number bigger and maybe the other icon as well.

I'd lose the black border. I usually prefer no border on cards, and in this case having the detailed curtain sharply cut off doesn't work to me. I think it would look better borderless, have the curtains go out into the edge and the bleed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Avallone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree with most of what's been said.

The artwork is great. And I like the black outlines around the figures: they evoke stained glass and Alphonse Mucha. But that grey background really does the art a disservice! Some architecture and landscape -- themed for each faction -- would make the art really sing.

I'd also add that while all of the design elements look medieval, the semi-transparent bottom area looks very modern, and thus somewhat jarring.

Regarding icon layout, I'd put the most crucial stuff at top left. I'm not sure how often one needs to check which faction a card belongs to, but with the color-coded tapestry, perhaps the prominence of the faction icon is a bit redundant?

The black border on the cards might be a cost-saving thing, though: full-bleed designs require a double-cut, and some printers charge more for that than single cut. A black border allows you to do a single cut, because if the black from one cards bleeds fractionally into another, no one will notice.

Still, that black border also looks modern, and thus detracts from the overall look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Baranowski
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Guys!

Thank you once again for your feedback.
We have been experimenting with new design based on your suggestions.
What do you think ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pekka Södervall
Finland
flag msg tools
To be honest, I liked the previous design better. In this one, in my opinion, the black borders stand out even more.

I would rather go with the original design and perhaps try to create a nice texture for the frames? Or have you tried completely frameless cards? That might work too.

I initially thought the number should be larger too, but I'm not sure anymore. On a physical card it's probably big enough as the viewing distance tends to be shorter than when looking at the cards on a screen. Or try using gold or silver in the background of the number? Unless the white has a specific meaning ofc.

Maybe some more shine/highlight effect as a whole? The golden? octagonal frames on the symbols could maybe use a bit of bling to make the card look a bit more interesting?

But great work anyway, I like the characters a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Baranowski
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
Raawen wrote:

I would rather go with the original design and perhaps try to create a nice texture for the frames? Or have you tried completely frameless cards? That might work too.

The final version of the parchment will most probably be more regular and fit more closely to the card's edges. That way the black frame should be much smaller.

Thanks for the note about the icons. We are currently torn between shiny, rich icons and much more toned down, stylised as wax seals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.