United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just received this today and after a first read through of the rules I wanted to clarify a couple of things.

Tile Movement

Tiles can be moved one space orthogonally. If they are no longer orthogonally adjacent to another tile is adrift and is removed.

In a 3-4 player game you set up a 5 x 5 grid. Can tiles be moved outside of this grid to become adrift? So I have my 5 x 5 grid, can I move (for example the middle tile in the rightmost column 1 space to the right on my turn, meaning it is adrift. Or, is the "board" set at 5 x 5 so this action isn't possible until tiles have started to crack and disappear?

Expansion Tiles

There are two "Partial Ice" tiles and two "Rotating Ice" tiles. The rules state that all of these only allow access from a specific direction.

The hourglass shaped "Partial Ice" tile is obvious, you can only enter from the top and bottom edges where the ice goes all the way along the edge. However as you can move orthogonally and diagonally would you be able to enter this from the corners? (I assume not)

For all the other tiles, the ice only extends part way along the edges. Can you enter orthogonally from the edge that it partly extends along, or only from the corner diagonally? My assumption is that for the tile where the ice covers half of the tile, you may enter from either of the corners with ice in, but only the edge that is totally covered. For the other two tiles you may only enter diagonally from the corners where the ice is, but not orthogonally from the edges.

Any clarification would be useful.

Thanks for producing an awesome game, can't wait to get it to the table!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Tile Movement

Tiles can be moved outside of the original grid. The sea is a lot bigger than your ice floe.

BUT, it is only if they are no longer adjacent they become adrift. Nowhere does it say 'orthogonally adjacent'. On the first page of the rules it says "adjacent means any of the 8 spaces around a tile"

So, if a tile in the right-hand column is moved one space to the right, it is still adjacent (diagonally) to at least one tile on the ice floe, so it isn't adrift (yet)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
bigflyer wrote:
Tile Movement

Tiles can be moved outside of the original grid. The sea is a lot bigger than your ice floe.

BUT, it is only if they are no longer adjacent they become adrift. Nowhere does it say 'orthogonally adjacent'. On the first page of the rules it says "adjacent means any of the 8 spaces around a tile"

So, if a tile in the right-hand column is moved one space to the right, it is still adjacent (diagonally) to at least one tile on the ice floe, so it isn't adrift (yet)

Ok, thats what I had assumed but wanted to double check. And thanks for clarifying on that point, I guess I was just inferring from the fact they can only be moved orthogonally.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Pogacic
msg tools
Movement of tiles.

From my understanding it mentions a player can move to any adjacent tile, meaning they can move diagonally onto another tile, the word Adjacent is very important I believe.

When moving a tile it can only move one space forward, back, left or right (but not diagonally) but will only be made adrift if it is not adjacent to another tile.

"A tile that is moved so that it is not adjacent to at least one other tile is 'adrift' and removed and discarded at the end of the player's turn"

This means in my eyes that as long as a tile is adjacent to another tile (using the player rules) it will not be set adrift. So your first movement to the right will move the tile out to sea but it will be adjacent to two tiles diagonally so it will not drift just yet until it is not touching any other tile which makes sense thematically.

This then makes sense to the expansion tiles that have their corners filled in only, so you can move from them diagonally if you can and also from the orthogonal tile as well as long as it is touching the side with ice. The hour glass tile has two sides that do not have a piece of ice on so you would not be able to get to them from the side lacking the ice but diagonally would be fine as that is touching.

I would like the designer to clarify this though if they could

Edit: Just seen the post above explain as well while I was writing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Quantum
msg tools
Hello, Nick here - one of the creators of Thin Ice.

Thanks Peter for the message. For clarification:

Tile Movement
Tiles can be moved one space orthogonally.

1) If a tile is no longer adjacent (not just orthogonally) to another tile it is adrift and is removed.

In a 3-4 player game you set up a 5 x 5 grid. Can tiles be moved outside of this grid to become adrift? Yes, they can.

So I have my 5 x 5 grid, can I move (for example the middle tile in the rightmost column 1 space to the right on my turn, meaning it is adrift. Or, is the "board" set at 5 x 5 so this action isn't possible until tiles have started to crack and disappear?

According to 1) this will not happen, as the tile will still be adjacent (not just orthogonally) to another tile. But, of course if you shake a tile move on the dice, then you could move that tile twice – which would cause it to become adrift – an aggressive move!!!

Expansion Tiles
There are two "Partial Ice" tiles and two "Rotating Ice" tiles. The rules state that all of these only allow access from a specific direction.

The hourglass shaped "Partial Ice" tile is obvious, you can only enter from the top and bottom edges where the ice goes all the way along the edge. However as you can move orthogonally and diagonally would you be able to enter this from the corners? (I assume not). That is how we play it – but you may want to be kinder and have diagonal entry as your house rule.

For all the other tiles, the ice only extends part way along the edges. Can you enter orthogonally from the edge that it partly extends along, or only from the corner diagonally? My assumption is that for the tile where the ice covers half of the tile, you may enter from either of the corners with ice in, but only the edge that is totally covered. Yes, this is correct (how we play it).

For the other two tiles you may only enter diagonally from the corners where the ice is, but not orthogonally from the edges. The triangular one can be entered from the two edges or the corner (and left the same way). The small square ice black in the corner of the tile can be entered from the two edges or the corner (and left the same way).
This is just the way we play it – feel free to make your house rules suit your gaming style and gaming group!!!

Hope that is OK.

Best
Nick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thansk Nick, appreciate you taking the time to answer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.