5 Posts

Pillars of Eternity: Lords of the Eastern Reach» Forums » Rules

Subject: Building into the discard pile? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Baltimore
Maryland
msg tools
As I understand the rules, you can build over your building limit as long as you destroy a number of buildings to bring you back down to your building limit afterward. Easy enough.

My brother had this idea to deny me resources - build the cheap buildings he had, then immediately destroy them, effectively building into the discard pile. I quickly skimmed the rulebook and didn't find anything against doing this exactly, but it seems very much against the spirit of the rules. Later we agreed this was no bueno and agreed not to do it, but he did it again to build a second Inn and destroyed the original Inn he had. Some loophole...

So what's the rule here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules wrote:
Players at their limit may destroy friendly cards to make
room for a new card. Players may not destroy a card from
their city or army unless they are at their limit.

So he could destroy a building he already had in order to make room for a cheap building just to deny you resources, but then he's stuck with that building until next time he does this and he's potentially wasting one or more building slots just to spite you.

I've seen players destroy a farm just to replace it with another farm though just to deny the resources to downstream players. Seems totally legit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Baltimore
Maryland
msg tools
Right but what about building a building and then immediately destroying it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only destroy a building when you are at your limit and you are replacing it with another building. As long as those requirements are met, you can build and immediately destroy a building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My interpretation was that an existing building had to be destroyed to make room for the building about to be built.

It is a tiny town and there is only so much room. Once you run out of plats you have to tear down an existing building in order to build a new building in its place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.