$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 47.11

3,559 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22.4% of Goal | 30 Days Left

Support:

Quick Word

This game first came to my attention when a friend described it as Rampage, the Video Game come to life (but luckily it had nothing to do with Adam Sandler). I barely had time to read the description before the game showed up on my shelf. I was dying to play a giant werewolf named Ralph as I did battle with George the King Kong knockoff and Lizzie the Godzilla wannabe. So let’s just start the review with my disheartening reaction to realizing that all four players were Lizzie.

Brief Game Synopsis

Rampage is essentially a dexterity based game with some set collection elements in which you are competing to score points (floors, teeth, or some combination of different colored meeples) by eating stuff with your dinosaur. There are Special Abilities and Secret Special Abilities that are one-use bonus actions but there really is little more to the game then that when you boil it down to the bare bones.

Toys With Rules

The rulesbook is bright and flashy, like the game itself, and walks you nicely through the setup and flow of the game. I actually got the impression it was a little long for what was needed but I will say after reading it once the game is simple enough you have no need to go back to the booklet. Well, maybe that is untrue. My copy did not have stickers for the meeples so it can be confusing what each color of Meeple represented (which helps with the theme) and some of the iconography on the Special Powers and Secret Special Powers.

On your turn, you essentially have four available actions to choose from (not including your individual Special Powers):

1) Move (flicking a disc)
2) Destroy (dropping your dino pawn onto a building it is touching)
3) Throw (flick a vehicle of your pawns head at another player or building)
4) Blow (place your chin on the top of your piece and blow at something)

After your turn you eat. Which means any building tiles you knocked off the building in the zone you are in you collect, if you knocked over another player you eat one of their teeth, and any meeples lying on the ground after your attack you eat (up to the number of teeth you currently possess).

Any meeples that fall off the board on your turn count as having escaped which can trigger different effects based on the number of meeples that have escaped throughout the game.

There is a sprinkling of additional rules but that gives the basic idea.

Boards ‘N Bits

Okay, this game is all about the flash and spectacle. The contents only work to enhance that experience. The monster pawns with their movement discs containing their feet are cool and fun to wield. The meeples, each representing a different type of person is neat, the building tiles are beautiful and there is a lot of fun to be had just looking over them to pick up all the geek culture references spread throughout, the monster standees are a little flimsy, but still look visually appealing, the various tokens and counters are functional, and the Ability cards are all unique and chalk full of life and flavor. So, nicely done Repos.

That’ll do pig. That’ll do.

(A Babe expansion, that'd make this game great! Little pig lost in the big city? I'd play that.)

My Thoughts

There is a lot, I mean a lot to like about this game. Even when I have played with groups who did not like it (at all), there was still a lot of laughter, and a lot of joy drawn from the game. I think, for me, this is not so much of a game you play to Game, it is an activity you do to have a goofy, fun experience.

Some of the mechanics are a little fiddly. I have seen a lot of anger over bad flicking. Almost everyone I have played with under the age of ten crowd thinks that blowing is disgusting and refuse to play with that (I agree as I have squirmed seeing people spit on my game). Some of the Power cards are unbalanced. And the setup / tear down time is a beast – this can be mitigated somewhat by other players helping but it is still time consuming.

But there is a lot of good in the design as well. The escaped meeples really act as a clever timer to end the game if you play with people too aggressive and keep the game from getting out of hand to quickly. There is a lot of finesse and skill employed by dropping your pawn just right on the building to cause maximum damage. The Special Powers really can create unique play styles and experiences as you aim to select certain colors or what have you. Also, honestly, aside from Dungeon Fighter and Catacombs and Flick ‘Em Up (all four are pretty much mixed favorites of my son), I do not have another game in my collection that brings more joy and laughter from my boy when we play. And isn’t that what the hobby is truly about? For me at least, it is.

Also, and this is really an issue I am almost reluctant to add into this but it did sour my overall experience. I am a little frustrated with Asmodee. Hear me out now, I found out when the game was rethemed as Terror in Meeple City that meeple stickers were included for free in the game. I reached out to Repos to see if I could buy them directly as a gift for my son as he is bananas about this game and I know he would get excited about the meeples getting pictures on them. Repos sent me to Asmodee as they handle the USA distribution. Asmodee has not replied to any of the three emails I have sent (including the one in which I attached the Repos reply). I went back to Repos only for them to tell me they will check into it followed by a month of silence and then more unreplied emails from me.

I also had an issue with a Fantasy Flight printer error on one of the cards on a game I just got but Asmodee, the monopoly they are, will not respond to that email chain either.

Minor gripe I know, but it kind of soured me on a game I was a little mixed on already.

Son’s Thoughts

Here is what my six year old son, Judah, had to say about his (many and many and many) plays of Rampage:

So what I really like about Rampage is that it has that thing where you can throw cars and it lets you destroy buildings and eat buildings and destroy old peoples and even eat the old peoples up and stuff and destroy superheros and stuff like that. The different powers can be confusing and it takes too long to setup and daddy gets grumpy during the setup and it is easy to knock over buildings accidentally but I do like eating peoples and throwing cars and stealing other monsters teeth and blowing buildings down as long as daddy doesn’t yell at me for spitting. But yeah, I like it…and daddy, you yell to much when we play games.

Seriously, dude’s been killing me at this one since he was four.

Pro’s

+ Fun and quick
+ Kids can play and Powers make is scalable to player ability
+ Cathartic in nature as you destroy and devour a city full of innocence...(okay, maybe that was too dark…meh)

Con’s

- Long setup time
- Gross / Frustrating mechanics (to some)
- Unsatisfying customer service

Purchase, Play, or Pass

I considered saying Pass but honestly, I think with the right group this game generates enough laughter that I will probably never get rid of it. Plus Judah loves it. Overall, my feelings are very conflicting on this one, so I will settle on Play. It is very much a unique experience regardless and If you have kids or like silliness and don’t mind long setup time, then this is a solid choice for game night.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I share about the same experience as you. I ran out to buy the game as soon as I had heard about it. Fond memories of the old NES and Arcade game in my head. Finding out that they replaced all of the monsters with a generic Lizzy was the first letdown. The later licensing issues that forced the name change were the next. Apparently Asmodai never even had the rights to the name and just assumed that no one would care that they were making a game off someone else's IP...


The complete lack of text on everything in the game was another problem for us. I understand why they did it as it makes localization of the game a lot easier as they only need to reprint the rule book in other languages, but not having even basic text on things for explanations is a pain in the ass and more and more games are doing things this way unfortunately (looking at you Guilds of London!).

The blowing thing was a fun and quirky rule, but one that we ignored right from the start. Especially if you play the game with kids or anyone who isn't feeling well. It's just asking to spread germs and get spit on your game. Take that rule right out completely (don't even explain it to people) and you will skip that whole fiasco in the making. The game is perfectly fine without it anyway.

Setup time is a bit much, but honestly, after you do it a couple times, it takes a lot less than many other games out there. I can have this entire game set up faster than you can hand out starting cash to the players in most games.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:
I share about the same experience as you. I ran out to buy the game as soon as I had heard about it. Fond memories of the old NES and Arcade game in my head. Finding out that they replaced all of the monsters with a generic Lizzy was the first letdown. The later licensing issues that forced the name change were the next. Apparently Asmodai never even had the rights to the name and just assumed that no one would care that they were making a game off someone else's IP...


The complete lack of text on everything in the game was another problem for us. I understand why they did it as it makes localization of the game a lot easier as they only need to reprint the rule book in other languages, but not having even basic text on things for explanations is a pain in the ass and more and more games are doing things this way unfortunately (looking at you Guilds of London!).

The blowing thing was a fun and quirky rule, but one that we ignored right from the start. Especially if you play the game with kids or anyone who isn't feeling well. It's just asking to spread germs and get spit on your game. Take that rule right out completely (don't even explain it to people) and you will skip that whole fiasco in the making. The game is perfectly fine without it anyway.

Setup time is a bit much, but honestly, after you do it a couple times, it takes a lot less than many other games out there. I can have this entire game set up faster than you can hand out starting cash to the players in most games.


Is the Rampage version OOP then?? My LGS has it, i want this game, but should just buy that then??
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jnowak415 wrote:
Is the Rampage version OOP then?? My LGS has it, i want this game, but should just buy that then??


It's the same game. They had to change the name for legal reasons. It will never be reprinted as "Rampage", so if you want to get it, you'll have to get "Terror in Meeple City"... but you aren't missing anything, as they're equivalent aside from box cover and title on the rules sheet.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:
Is the Rampage version OOP then?? My LGS has it, i want this game, but should just buy that then??


It's the same game. They had to change the name for legal reasons. It will never be reprinted as "Rampage", so if you want to get it, you'll have to get "Terror in Meeple City"... but you aren't missing anything, as they're equivalent aside from box cover and title on the rules sheet.


Nah, my LGS has the Rampage game, which is why this threw me off, being so old.

Also, I wasnt sure if there was gameplay stuff, or cosmetic changes that were made, as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jnowak415 wrote:
Also, I wasnt sure if there was gameplay stuff, or cosmetic changes that were made, as well.

Only changes are cosmetic. However, the Rampage version doe snot have a sticker sheet for the meeples (doesn't affect gameplay).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.