Support:

David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Available at US$55 (via the amazing CLS in Atlanta) it has finally hit one of Canada's best OLGS ... for $140. I know the Canadian dollar sucks compared to the US at the moment but wow, that's unfortunately too rich for my blood (it was only on my strongly-considering list, but still ...).

Though Compass Games always seem to be a bit expensive on this side of the border, that's a bit of a shocker. Today's exchange rate on US$55 = C$72.49. I'd have expected to maybe pay C$90.

Any idea why such a huge price disparity? Are there no Canadian distributors like Lion Rampant for the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a wag here, but perhaps shipping duties of some sort?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Taxes would be on top...there's no specific duty on games other than sales tax.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rinella
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow that is severely over the top. That's more than double.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Love
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear that, but if it's any consolation, I paid (pasted this here from another thread)-

$65 game + $33 shipping = $98. With the Aus / US conversion rate, works out to around $133 for me. So, its actually $7 cheaper to get the game mailed to Aus, than it is to pick it up from a LGS in Canada. Seems a bit odd to me.

For a $65 game, I would hope / expect to receive a mounted map, instead of just a poster print map, but now I am just being picky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rinella
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately most companies have ceased printing mounted maps. There are a few exceptions but it is an expensive proposition for publishers. Not sure if it would add cost to the shipping for the extra weight or not.

The reason my Take Aim Designs games sell for the high 20s is that they don't even come in a box - ziplocked instead. Though we are looking at getting a deal for boxes for our next release. It might happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm looking forward to the day some wargame publishers just sells me the counters and the map in a ziplock bag. I'm perfectly capable to print-out the rules and the player aids myself and have enough dice for a dozen shots of shrapnel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Port Macquarie
NSW
flag msg tools
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
Any idea why such a huge price disparity? Are there no Canadian distributors like Lion Rampant for the game?

It's fairly obvious to me. They are working on their profit margin so as to improve their bottom line.

I have purchased mine from CLS Atlanta.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Love
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Rinella wrote:
Unfortunately most companies have ceased printing mounted maps. There are a few exceptions but it is an expensive proposition for publishers.

That's interesting, as nearly all my board games have a mounted map. Indeed, the three 'Compass' games I own (Bitter Woods, Enemy action: Ardennes, and of course, Festung) are the only games I have which don't include a mounted map. But I understand the need for publishers to keep costs down, so perhaps an unmounted map is now the trend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rinella
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have fifteen games in print with Compass, Multi-Man Publishing, Worthington Games, plus a number of magazine games and none of them have mounted maps. My copies of a few GMT games have paper maps (though I did buy a separate "delux" mounted map for Paths of Glory as I recall).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
da pyrate wrote:
DaveyJJ wrote:

It's fairly obvious to me. They are working on their profit margin so as to improve their bottom line.

I have purchased mine from CLS Atlanta.

As have I. It was an easy decision as my in-laws are in their "sunny south" home right now and can bring it back for me.

The Canadian-based OLGS that Davey refers to usually has prices roughly competitive with US-based OLGS, although he stocks fewer wargames. So this is a real anomaly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.