Hide
4 Posts

Exceed: Red Horizon – Reese & Heidi vs. Vincent & Nehtali» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Having trouble with Lily rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mason Sokol
msg tools
I am assuming the game is fairly balanced but I'm personally having a difficult time beating Lily. Many characters seems to be a little weak to her and Eva feels like she gets completely smashed. What oarticular strategies are good to employ here? It feels as though she is often advantaged in attacks, can move into favorable positions at rates that are hard to keep up with and can refill her hand quite easily once she has unloaded.

This isn't a whine post I am just trying to get better at this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit: hmmmm, I may have gone completely off the rails. I reread your first post and realized it was a how to deal with Lily in general not how does Eva deal with Lily. Oh well my post is what it is and there yet might be something useful here.

This is post is going to end up being vague and possibly not very good because I don't have the cards with me atm but hopefully there will be some use in here and I should be able to make a more detailed post once I get home.

First off even in well balanced asymmetric games with many sides (even games with only two different sides have trouble getting their game to be a 5-5 mu) you're going to have tough mu, it's just a thing that is going to happen. This might be one of Eva's tough mu. However it should still be winnable.

Lily's strong points are being able to retreat for less force then everyone else, she has really long range attacks and those long range attacks have good speed on them. Her long range attacks don't do a ton of damage though. If you can back Lily into a corner it will take away both her greatest advantages and she will have to use a turn spending a lot of force advancing just to get out of the corner.

Using Block and Eva's unique card that is like a pseudo block when at longer range can be good for canceling all of Lily's damage and building gauge.

If you can get up close on Lily to a range that is uncomfortable for her you can try laying down the boost that draws her a card at the start of the opponents turn. This can allow you to keep up will Lily if she is doing a lot of retreating.

I think with Eva it is better to use one or two boosts over and over again as opposed to trying to build up some super duper Eva that tries to swing with super attacks. Against Lily Spike's boost of +1 Armor and +3 Stun Guard might be good? It will allow you to not get stunned by her fast long range attacks which opens up the slower Dive to become a really good get in there card. I'm pretty sure there is a boost that grants additional range if so that's another good one to use.

Even though it doesn't stay in play don't forget about the boost that lets you move 4 spaces (or is it possibly 3?). Lily also has access to this one so that might be a bit of a wash.

Maybe some of this is helpful. I'll recheck my facts once I get home and can look through the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
Play Alice and go Exceed - there done.

Lily does not do a lot of damage on most cards, so the Guard boost on Spike is super useful. Put it with Dive or another advancing strike to close the distance during strike exchanges. Lily might be able to retreat for cheap, but it is still a drain on resources if she has to keep retreating by paying force while you are using Dive and Assault to get close.

This is how Eva can be painful for Lily - she can keep bringing Guard back to her hand. You could play it almost all game. So abuse those boosts and make Lily squirm.

EDIT: Oops missed ClanNatioy's post about Guard, not trying to parrot but good to know others have the same idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Armstrong
msg tools
I'd say there are four general rules to dealing with Lily:

(1) Cross-ups. More than any other opponent, Lily needs to cross to the other side of you several times per match. If you can keep her on one side, then it shuts down her retreat discount, and you can overpower her relatively low damage output.

Consequently, it is extremely important to stay out of Range 1 without a good reason to be there. When you stay close to her, she can use Run or Somersault to cross you up AND open up the range. Most characters will be best at Range 2, but a few outliers (e.g. Miska and Alice) will prefer Range 3. At those ranges, you can often immediately punish Lily's cross-up, because she'll still be in range of most of your Strikes.

I'm not kidding - even Gabrek should avoid getting close to her - he's better off just trading blows with Lily at Range 2 and completely ignoring his unique ability rather than constantly giving her the opportunity to cross him up inexpensively.

(2) Ultimates. For the most part, you'll be better off spending these as Force. It doesn't take much to overpower Lily, provided that you can keep her closeby. The same goes for Gauge with a lot of characters because, if you're spending your Ultimates on movement, then holding onto Gauge really depends on whether your Exceed side is useful in this matchup.

(3) Focus. At close-range, Lily's attacks are mostly low-Power push-moves. This makes her pushback-attempts very telegraphed. A well-timed focus can wreck Lily for a turn or two.

(4) Run. This is pretty obvious, but might as well mention it. You should almost never play Cross on Lily. Try to keep it in your hand for when you need a Run boost.

As for Eva, there is one thing that I expect a lot of new players miss, which is that her "on your opponent's turn" Boosts are terrible to lead with. If you just give yourself +1 Speed or +1 Power, the opponent can take that away from you just by Striking. You're better off opening with Fierce, Guard, and especially Light, to make it more costly for your opponent to keep Striking you. Also, her Exceed ability is crucial for pulling out her absurd show-stopping 13+-power smackdowns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.