Subject: Buying 2 copies... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Farrell
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I know that 2 copies for the base game are needed to play 4 player, but is thr same required for expansions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. It only applies to the base set because you need the extra components to expand to 4 players. You will only need 1 expansion of each expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
And the MSRP on the core set is $50?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
$40.00 USD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
$39.95 for the core set.
$29.95 for the 1st expansion The Dunwich Legacy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm brand new to the LCG format, so please answer me this:

Why else would I buy 2 copies of the core set, other than for more players?
People were talking about wanting duplicates of some of the cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
velvetvoulge wrote:

In other LCGs, the core sets offered a high diversity of cards without offering all the cards you could use to build a deck. This meant that you could have three copies of a card in a deck, but the core set might only have one or two. This meant that, for some games, you would buy as many as three core sets in order to maximize the decks you could build (more copies of a card means higher consistency in your build and better performance). It seems that, for this game, they are offering a complete set of cards in one core, but for a maximum of two players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
velvetvoulge wrote:

The main reason people are buying two cores is that you can included 2 copies of the same card in your hand but the core set is going to only include 1 copy of some cards. For those that what to have all the legal options opened to them when building a deck they will buy multiple cores to have the volume of cards they want.

Another option if you sleeve is to proxy the missing cards.

For someone starting out playing 1-2 players you are fine with a single core. I think the base game and the 1st expansions first makes more sense. Add a 2nd core later if you think you need it or wait until a future printing which has errata fixed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It allows you to build more consistent (so theoretically more powerful) decks.

If there is a really good card -- say "Unexpected Courage" -- you have a better chance of drawing that card if there are 2 copies in your deck instead of just 1.

One of the common complaints about FFG's LCG's is this business model (and has been debated on the forums many times). In short, the response is that it allows FFG to have a wider variety of different cards to play with while at the same time keeping the cost down a bit to entice more casual players to buy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
koraldon
Israel
holon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Indecision101 wrote:
I know that 2 copies for the base game are needed to play 4 player, but is thr same required for expansions

You might be able to use just a single base game and dunwich legacy for 4 players (if you can use tokens from another game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Ft. Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As mentioned, the only real requirement is for 3-4 players.

Bear in mind if you sleeve your cards, proxies are a quick and easy (as well as cheap) solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without knowing the exact deck building rules there is no way to properly know how many core sets are needed. Especially with the presence in decks of "negative" cards I suspect the ability to customize will be restricted somewhat in order to keep the "negative" ratio in the deck correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joelist wrote:
Without knowing the exact deck building rules there is no way to properly know how many core sets are needed.
Yes there is: if you want to play with 1-2 players you need 1 set, if you want to play with 3-4 players you need 2 sets. Of course you might decide that you would prefer to go over these requirements to tweak your playing experience, but I doubt that these additional sets will be a requirement to play the game.

I'm actually wondering how much real deckbuilding there will in campaign mode. After all, if I'm (role-) playing a single Investigator (unlike LotR where I'm playing a Party of Adventurers), how much is my character able to rebuild themselves? Select equipment, sure, but fundamentally rebuild? It might be different in scenario play, which might be your experimental playground. I dunno, it's all fairly pointless speculation at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
koraldon
Israel
holon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Probably limited deck building between scenarios, as changing a card to another zero level card will cost 1 xp.
So you basically build your deck at the starting of the campaign and than just tweak it.
I like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
koraldon wrote:
Probably limited deck building between scenarios, as changing a card to another zero level card will cost 1 xp.
So you basically build your deck at the starting of the campaign and than just tweak it.
I like it.
That's my assumption too. I'm not convinced that the model is so close to LotR, I think it's more likely to be similar to Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game, but with a deck of cards rather than just 4 upgradable cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
Joelist wrote:
Without knowing the exact deck building rules there is no way to properly know how many core sets are needed.

But we do know the deck building rules. It's 30 cards, no more no less, plus the mandatory cards for your Investigator (one special asset and two weaknesses, to start with; more can be added as the campaign progresses).

Core Investigators have a primary and secondary class, and can choose their thirty cards from either one in any combination (the distinction only matters when leveling up). Dunwich Investigators have only a primary class; they must take at least twenty-five cards from that class, but have no class restrictions at all for the remainder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
koraldon
Israel
holon
flag msg tools
mbmb
rsdockery wrote:
Joelist wrote:

But we do know the deck building rules. It's 30 cards, no more no less, plus the mandatory cards for your Investigator (one special asset and two weaknesses, to start with; more can be added as the campaign progresses).

Core Investigators have a primary and secondary class, and can choose their thirty cards from either one in any combination (the distinction only matters when leveling up). Dunwich Investigators have only a primary class; they must take at least twenty-five cards from that class, but have no class restrictions at all for the remainder.

Slight correction - Dunwich Investigators can take up to 5 level 0 cards from any sphere, and the rest of the cards can either be neutral or from the sphere they belong to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
KC
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
clip611 wrote:
velvetvoulge wrote:

The main reason people are buying two cores is that you can included 2 copies of the same card in your hand but the core set is going to only include 1 copy of some cards. For those that what to have all the legal options opened to them when building a deck they will buy multiple cores to have the volume of cards they want.

Judging by the YouTube "browse-through" of the components that was recently posted, it looks like all player cards might be 1x, except for a small number of neutral cards. So buying a second core set gives you a full playset of all cards, plus a handful of extra neutrals. I think that even with two players, it might make sense to have an extra core set for some people who prioritize freedom in deckbuilding -- that way you can both have two copies of neutral cards like Knife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Cox
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agent Archer wrote:
clip611 wrote:
velvetvoulge wrote:

Judging by the YouTube "browse-through" of the components that was recently posted, it looks like all player cards might be 1x, except for a small number of neutral cards. So buying a second core set gives you a full playset of all cards, plus a handful of extra neutrals. I think that even with two players, it might make sense to have an extra core set for some people who prioritize freedom in deckbuilding -- that way you can both have two copies of neutral cards like Knife.

I think a base set has four copies of knife, and some/all other neutrals

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.