Terraforming Mars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Beginning Resources rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael R

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
So I'm reading through the rules for my first play tonight, and the setup example on page 7 of the rulebook has me a little confused.
Specifically, step 4 states "You start with 1 production of each resource on the player board, so place player markers on the tracks...".
But then in the example it says "Stanley then reveals that he's going to play ThorGate, starting with 48 MC and 1 energy production, which he marks on his player board."

Is this an extra production? Or do you not start with 1 production of everything on your player board?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Knoblaugh
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They way they wrote it is a bit confusing. Players using the Beginner Corporations will get to start the game with 1 production of each resource. If you are playing with the regular corporations, you start the game with only what is given to you by that corporation card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your question is answered in this thread.

The short answer is yes, it's extra production.

Note, you only start with 1 production of each resource when not using the Corporate Era project cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karenv731 wrote:
They way they wrote it is a bit confusing. Players using the Beginner Corporations will get to start the game with 1 production of each resource. If you are playing with the regular corporations, you start the game with only what is given to you by that corporation card.

That's not quite accurate. What determines your starting base production (0 or 1) is whether or not you've included the Corporate Era project cards in the project deck. You can play the "standard" game (start with 1 production of each resource) and still use the non-beginner Corporation cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
mvettemagred wrote:
Your question is answered in this thread.

The short answer is yes, it's extra production.

Note, you only start with 1 production of each resource when not using the Corporate Era project cards.

I think this is an important distinction that could confuse people.

It's not when using one of the 12 corporation cards (ie. non-beginner) that you start with 0 production on all tracks, it's when using the corporate era cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the responses!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Karenv731 wrote:

Another thing to correct in the rulebook...

Actually, the starting production of 1 for each resource is connected to the standard game (i.e. not using the Corporate Era version). So you can play a Beginner Corporation with Corporate Era, and thus start without any production. Using one of the 12 regular corporations in the standard game (like the example in the rulebook) would mean starting with 1 production of each (because of using standard version), plus any production granted by the corporation card.

I hope this is clear now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Knoblaugh
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, obviously I didn't interpret this part of the instructions correctly. So that means that I did a very good job winning my first solo game as I began with only the production indicated on the Corp card I had, which might have been nothing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Karenv731 wrote:
Well, obviously I didn't interpret this part of the instructions correctly. So that means that I did a very good job winning my first solo game as I began with only the production indicated on the Corp card I had, which might have been nothing!

For solo, you always use Corporate Era, and thus always start the solo version without production, except for any production granted by your corporation. Playing solo with a Beginner Corporation doesn't change this.
So you did it right (except maybe you didn't use the Corporate Era cards?), and did a great job winning

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enoch Fryxelius
msg tools
mvettemagred wrote:
Karenv731 wrote:

That's not quite accurate. What determines your starting base production (0 or 1) is whether or not you've included the Corporate Era project cards in the project deck. You can play the "standard" game (start with 1 production of each resource) and still use the non-beginner Corporation cards.

I hope we don't offer too many options in this game. I can see some people getting confused here...
Let me see if I can summarize in an easy way:

- Basic game (short game): Play without the CE-cards and everybody starts with 1 (extra) production of each resource. You can play either beginner or normal corporations and add their starting bonuses. (So Thorgate starts with 1+1=2 energy production in basic game)

- Extended game (Corporate Era): Play with all cards in the game and you get no extra production except for corporation starting bonus. Play either beginner or normal corp.

Note: You can also mix beginner and normal corporations. Let the new players play beginner while the rest go with normal corporations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Knoblaugh
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fryxen wrote:
Karenv731 wrote:

For solo, you always use Corporate Era, and thus always start the solo version without production, except for any production granted by your corporation. Playing solo with a Beginner Corporation doesn't change this.
So you did it right (except maybe you didn't use the Corporate Era cards?), and did a great job winning

Yes, I used the Corporate Era cards, glad to know I got those rules right at least! Thanks for such a great game, I am loving it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.