13 Posts

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island» Forums » General

Subject: New edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony
United States
flag msg tools
I am completely new to this game, but am highly interested. However, it sounds like a new version is getting ready to launch? And I haven't seen it in stores in awhile as well. Thinking it may be a game I request for Christmas. Either way, is there much information on the changes of the new edition vs the previous one? Thanks for the help in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trzewik wrote:
I don't want to call it a new edition since this is the same old, good Robinson without any major changes in the gameplay, but at the same time, everything in the game in terms of production is new. We have new wooden pieces, we have a new scenario (well, it's King Kong so it actually is not that new), we have new First Player token, we have nice looking discovery tokens and most importantly we have a brand new rulebook.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/blog/679/board-games-tell-stor...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Robinson Crusoe marks its return to Portal Games in an all new English edition featuring: custom wooden pieces, thick cardboard character cards, over 450 edits on the cards to improve clarity, a standard sized square box, a 7th scenario, and an all-new English rulebook based on the excellent German edition. Portal Games has also update the cover illustration with all new artwork from industry veteran Vincent Durait. This change should help customers identify the new version of the game from previous editions.

http://portalgames.pl/new_en/announcement-portal-games-annou...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Schindler
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I've been able to find, the gameplay is the same. What has been updated is the rulebook (which, in the Z-Man edition was...hard to parse, to say the least), the text on many of the cards (for clarity), and the components (they bits are shaped wood now instead of cubes, and the cardboard is thicker). There's also a seventh scenario included in the box (formerly available as a promo or as a print-and-play), and the box art is updated.

So: the game is the same, but this new edition is likely to be definitive, especially now that it's back home with Portal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
United States
flag msg tools
Awesome!! Sounds excellent. Thanks for the information. Can't wait to try this one out later in the year!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Fleischer
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
Anyone know the name of the new senerio?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
So many people think that being bigger makes you a better person.
badge
I'm (probably) bigger than you, but that doesn't make me any better. It's what's inside that counts.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Adventures on King Kong Island or something close to that. You can find the scenario here in the files if you want to print it yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...along with many other official and non-official scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
The Adventures on King Kong Island or something close to that. You can find the scenario here in the files if you want to print it yourself.

I think the scenario had the word dreadful in the title too. I hope they review the language of the previous Portal scenarios, some of which including the King Kong scenario, had some awkward phrases.

Also (not included in the new edition) "Tracing Dr Livingstone" probably should have been called "Searching for . . " , "Looking for . . ", "Finding . . . " or something like that. There are many odd phrases in that scenario, which spoils the atmosphere, as they were clearly not written by an English speaker.

Apparently the author of the new rule book lives in Devon, so I'm optimistic there will be improvements to the language of the new edition, when compared to the previous Portal edition.

I thought the Zman edition did a reasonable job of tidying up most of the text.

The Beagle expansion (Portal again) was also nicely written.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
nickbolton wrote:
Apparently the author of the new rule book lives in Devon, so I'm optimistic there will be improvements to the language of the new edition, when compared to the previous Portal edition.

That'll be Devon, in Cornwall. The Cornish do have excellent clarity of language.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trystan
Sweden
Hässleholm
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:
nickbolton wrote:

That'll be Devon, in Cornwall. The Cornish do have excellent clarity of language.

Saying Devon's in Cornwall seems a bit like fighting talk, that's like saying Scotland's in England.

Devon folk can't even put together a cream tea properly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The new rule book is being edited by Paul Grogan of the Gaming Rules YouTube channel and BGG Guild of the same name. He's one of the best game teachers around and his involvement is what made my decision to get the new edition a lock.

Check out his site and watch a couple of his rules breakdowns to see what I'm talking about. I'm betting this will be one of the hobby's clearest, most concise rulebooks when it drops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:
nickbolton wrote:

I think this is the new explanation of how to draw cards from the mystery deck.

(Ignoring the fact Devon isn't in Cornwall)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.