Istanbul: Letters & Seals» Forums » Variants

Subject: using 2 d12 dice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mihir Shah

Austin
Texas
msg tools
Now since more tiles are added and the Governor/Coffee trader/Courier/Smuggler can only move according to the 2 d6 dice, does anyone feel the need to start using the 2 d12 dices?

This would make them travel anywhere on the grid, what do you all think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked this question awhile back - I had added at D20 to the game thinking I was being super clever allowing the governor and smuggler to travel the whole board.

It was pointed out to me that I really shouldn't do that as they are meant to only travel to the 1-12 spots. That those spots can be considered not quite as powerful and therefore having the smuggler or governor there may give you another reason to head to one of them.

Hope I'm explaining this well. The short answer is, no don't do it, as you want them sticking to the lower number tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihir Shah

Austin
Texas
msg tools
I find it very hard to digest that, the lower numbered tiles are equally powerful and are very integral to the game with or with the extra Encounters, in most of our games people visit there often irrespective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1402321/using-d20-governor-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mazzone
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As we play the advanced setup (where all the tiles are randomly assigned at the start with fountain somewhere in center) we've been using a d20 to assign the new spots. I also thought I was clever with that one lol. When the new expansion comes out, I plan to get a d24 (no such thing as a d25) and use that. Of course whatever tile happens to be in the #25 spot cannot have a pawn on it, but thats as close as your gonna get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihir Shah

Austin
Texas
msg tools
I had read that thread before but that was when Mocha and Baksheesh came out, but mow with more tiles due to the Letters and seals expansion, i think having a limit to places these guys can travel do not make much sense to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Lim
Philippines
Iloilo
Oton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely agree to susan..

with only minor correction
2-12 instead of 1-12

as susan pointed out. it is the way it is. the places was balanced that way and the chances of that 2d6 where adjusted to that places too. so i suggest never use any other dice, it will ruin the balance of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.