Hide
17 Posts

Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: Would Scythe appeal to a Chaos in the Old World fan? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick JoJo
msg tools
How does it compare in terms of strategic competitiveness,theme and mechanics? Is it interesting and simple at the same time? Does it have replayability and assymetry?

What I love about Chaos in the Old World which is my No1 game is that it blends many mechanics marvelously and it never gets old.

From what I've read Scythe seems to combine area control with combat,upgrades and resource management.Do these mechanics blend together well as in CitOW for example?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, I own both and think very highly of both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"...to excel above the common rate, in frivolous things, is nothing graceful in a man of quality and honor." - Michel de Montaigne
badge
Let's just play everything always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe, but I'd go with either Blood Rage or Cthulhu Wars over Scythe if you are looking for something similar to/(IMO) better than Chaos ITOW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick JoJo
msg tools
quietcorn wrote:
Maybe, but I'd go with either Blood Rage or Cthulhu Wars over Scythe if you are looking for something similar to/(IMO) better than Chaos ITOW.

Which do you think is better game,Blood Rage or Scythe?If you had to choose only one of those 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"...to excel above the common rate, in frivolous things, is nothing graceful in a man of quality and honor." - Michel de Montaigne
badge
Let's just play everything always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hands down Blood Rage, although Scythe is growing on me a little more with each play. Just today I added Scythe to my top 100 geeklist. I didn't like Scythe at first because I thought the starting setup was too deterministic for what you'll wind up doing over the course of the game, but with each play I start to see there's more wiggle room for creative strategy choices than I had originally thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both, and I really enjoy both, but based on what you said above, I would not recommend Scythe.

First off, Scythe is not much of an area control game, and combat is pretty limited. Essentially you will have your own section of the board, and most contention will be for the edges of that section and center. Depending on the number of players you might branch off a bit to other areas, but you are never really at risk of losing your "pizza slice."

On top of that there is usually little combat, and by association limited direct player interaction. In Chaos, nearly every region will have some degree of contention as players try to use clever card play and battles to control their key ares. You won't see any of that in Scythe. Players may occasionally fight, but after s certain point combat has little value for most factions and can even have negative effects. It is a lot more stand-offy.

Scythe is effectively a race game where you are trying to end the game quickly, but doing well in something and getting ahead almost never has a negative effect on other players. Compare this to Chaos where at most one player will get 2 clicks in a turn so doing well actually can slow other players down.

Edit: I completely agree about Blood Rage. It has a very similar feel to Chaos, but with drafted abilities and goals instead of starting asymmetries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick JoJo
msg tools
So from what you say there is little to no tension in this game between players,nor by combat neither by any other approach,is that correct?

So what exactly makes Scythe a good game then? Does the "race" type of gameplay have any strategic depth that can make you feel like you outplayed or outsmarted the others? Or is it just a solitaire game that in the end whoever happens to have the most points wins?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Taranto
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Chaos once, and Blood Rage once, and would probably play neither again if I could help it. I also adore Scythe.

For me, the former two are too interactive/direct conflict and in-your-face about it. And that's why I'd second the sentiment that Scythe MAY not be for you. Definitely try it before you buy it. I'm not saying any of the games are poorly designed - far from it. Chaos and Blood Rage just aren't my style.

Also, a gamer friend of mine that adores Chaos doesn't like Scythe because he was expecting it to be more interactive and less engine-buildy than it was. Scythe is not a "war game" nor a "lite war game." It is a "Cold War" game through and through. There is intimidation and inherent threat in things you do, but I usually see games that only incorporate 1-3 actual combats in the whole run. And there's absolutely no element of "take that" to the powers or abilities in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "race" has lots of options and depth, and there is interaction on the board. However, the interaction is more of a cold war, with very localized tension. Also the combat is lifted right out of Dune/Rex where you are secretly bidding military resources, and that, in itself, adds another layer of tension. That being said, you don't like Euro engine building, you probably won't enjoy this as it is a fair bit of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick JoJo
msg tools
Well,it's not that I don't like Euro engine building,it's just that I thought it had more interaction between players,not necessarily by combat.

That being said,I'll keep Scythe in mind.Not convinved whether I'll like it at the end of the day,but if i find a chance to play it before buy,then I'll do just that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy McCann
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Saying Scythe has limited interaction is misleading. There is as much interaction (after you can get within reach of one another) between players as the players want there to be. This can be in direct combat, threatened combat and even deals struck between players for VP's or other favors.

While this doesn't help your question, I just wanted to point out that in the 5 games I've gotten a chance to play (4 at 3 player and one at 5 player), 2 of those games were brutal slugfests after mid game point, 1 was moderately combative (I think 7 fights: 6 for Star and one for Factory control at the end) and 2 were mild (<4 fights in each).

It is true that combat is NOT the focal point of the game, so if that's what you're looking for... probably not what you're gonna want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
While it has been said, I really think it bears pointing out again that probably the number 1 complaint about Scythe is that there's not enough combat. So that could be an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Lavender
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
You kids, get offa my lawn!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkFlame92 wrote:
Well,it's not that I don't like Euro engine building,it's just that I thought it had more interaction between players,not necessarily by combat.

That being said,I'll keep Scythe in mind.Not convinved whether I'll like it at the end of the day,but if i find a chance to play it before buy,then I'll do just that

I think a key consideration is that you asked for a comparison of CitOW with Scythe and they are not the same type of game, in play style or overall design. Yes, Scythe can be as combat-interactive as players want it to be but combat comes at a cost and often, it's not the smartest move. Scythe does have a cold war style tension where players fortify borders to deter attacks, and I find that aspect quite compelling and interesting. Even tense.

That said, Scythe is not a game for everyone and if you are looking for a game like CitOW, Blood Rage fits that bill quite well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Dodson
United States
Akron
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a HUGE CitOW and Blood Rage fan, and I like Scythe a whole lot as well.

They're totally different games. CitOW/Blood Rage are all about being in your opponents faces, Scythe is more about building an engine and racing to complete objectives. You might see combat once, twice in a game of Scythe, the others could be every turn.

If you LOVE CitOW, get Blood Rage for a more "fun" and quick version. I think you'd still like Scythe, but it's not exactly what you sound like you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Lages
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own them both and CitOW is also my favorite game at this point in time. I've only played 2 games of Scythe so far and I'd not recommend it to you if you want something similar to CitOW. Don't get me wrong, Scythe is a great game, but it feels more like if you were preparing your faction to whatever happens next, which can be disappointing for some people. In this sense, its climax is very different from CitOW where you are about to conquer the whole f*ing Old World. I'd say that the experiences I had playing Scythe up to now felt as if I had to plan my moves better than in CitOW (that's the race analogy), it seems less ~ chaotic ~ considering players interaction and because of that your own moves may cost you the game. Other players actions do not interfer as much the game course as in CitOW. It feels a bit static.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Wrigley
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a huge CitOW fan, love Blood Rage, Kemet, Cyclades (base game) and Clockwork Wars. Scythe just doesn't do it for me at all. Feels a bit like a war between accountants ☺. Another fun dudes on a map game is Evo (2nd edition).March of the Ants might be up your alley too. Very interactive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion Free
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
pwrigley wrote:
I'm a huge CitOW fan, love Blood Rage, Kemet, Cyclades (base game) and Clockwork Wars. Scythe just doesn't do it for me at all. Feels a bit like a war between accountants ☺. Another fun dudes on a map game is Evo (2nd edition).March of the Ants might be up your alley too. Very interactive.

Right there with you. I love CitOW, Kemet, Eclipse, Clockwork Wars (always nice to see another CW fan!), and Scythe just fell flat. It seemed like it took a lot of the character of those out. On paper, it has some similar elements (I hear) but while playing it, it really didn't click for me.

Take that for what you will - I feel like the reasons you might like Chaos won't be the same reasons you like Scythe, even if you enjoy the game.

- Edit, for that matter, if you want some cool under the radar dudes-on-a-map, check out Clockwork Wars, or if you're really adventurous, the Lord of the Ice Garden

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.