Runebound (Third Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Skill Sets rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There 8 skill sets released so far Runebound.

The base game has 6:
Strength of the Wilds (Red)
Military Training (Red)
Thirst for Travel (Yellow)
Friends in Low Places (Yellow)
Favor of the Gods (Blue)
Rune Magic (Blue)

There are two in expansion released so far.
Power for Profit (Yellow) in Gilded Blade
Song of the Mountains (Blue) in Mountains of Madness

In the list below I have divided skills into combat and support. Combat skills have a direct combat effect or increase health or hand size.
Support are all other skills, which might help in combat in specific cases, but don’t in general.

Combat (cost) - Support (cost)
Strength of the Wilds 4(2.25) – 6(2)
Military Training 6(2.8) – 4(1.8)

Thirst for Travel 2(2.5) – 8(2.1)
Friends in Low Places 3(2.6) – 7(2.1)
Power for Profit 3(3) – 7(1.8)

Favor the Gods 3(2.7) – 7(2.3)
Rune Magic 4(3.5) – 6(2.7)
Song of the Mountains 2(2) – 8 (2.1)

Thoughts
Power for Profit seems in line with the other Yellow skill sets.
Song of the Mountains has cheaper skills and less combat skills then the other blue skills.
The Red sets are the most combat focused.
Every set has 4 skill success symbols.

What does FFG want you to do? They want you to pick 2 red, 2 blue, and 2 yellow sets.
Why? The colors are balanced. The chance of succeeding at a skill check stays the same.

What will I do? Do what FFG wants.
Why? I feel that color balance is important. It is unfair to have less Red skills.

What will you do when they release an expansion with a Red skill set? I will mix them all together.
Why? I feel that the 1% level odds changes are not worth sorting the skill deck each game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Stiltner
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not just mix everything together and use a die to determine the success of skill checks? You could devise a system like 1,2=yellow 3,4=red 5,6=blue. Then the probability will stay constant throughout the game.

Unless maybe slight shifts in the probability of success as players draw and acquire skills is an intended part of the design. Is it even feasible to increase your chances of succeeding in red by keeping a hand full of blue and yellow cards? I've never tried.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stiltr01 wrote:
Why not just mix everything together and use a die to determine the success of skill checks? You could devise a system like 1,2=yellow 3,4=red 5,6=blue. Then the probability will stay constant throughout the game.

You're confused about something. The colors don't have anything to do with skill checks. All of the colors have the same 40% chance of success. The reason for the colors to be balanced is so that a hero with a high red statistic and a hero with a high blue statistic have the same chance to find skills they can use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Nichols
United States
Clermont
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just planning on mixing them all together, I think with the amount of exerting players should be taking advantage of the deck gets cycled quickly enough anyway.

We'll see after a few more "expansions".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I left my main reply in your Asset thread, but just wanted to say thanks again. These are tremendously useful. Bookmarking this one as well. Now that you've done two, I feel strangely compelled to shower you in .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i like the skill sets have names :-)
ya a bit faffy to separate
but if separating them leads to more diversity play types seem worth it..

I mean i game where i don't become a rogue trader.. will be different from a game from a game where i can not even become a rogue trader? right?

think it depends on how well i can organize my base set.. and be disciplined in the tear down after game..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Andon wrote:
I'm just planning on mixing them all together, I think with the amount of exerting players should be taking advantage of the deck gets cycled quickly enough anyway.

How quick the deck gets cycled from skill checks and exertions makes no difference. Once discarded you have no easy way to pick those skills up.

If you just add the new cards without removing a set then if you play Corbin you won't be able to use 37.5% (3/8) of the cards you draw, rather than 33% (1/3) as in the base game.

Not working with the 3x2 set system means someone can more easily end up with hands of useless skills. If you think that will be fun then by all means play that way. But I know I won't be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orion3T wrote:
Andon wrote:

How quick the deck gets cycled from skill checks and exertions makes no difference. Once discarded you have no easy way to pick those skills up.

If you just add the new cards without removing a set then if you play Corbin you won't be able to use 37.5% (3/8) of the cards you draw, rather than 33% (1/3) as in the base game.

Not working with the 3x2 set system means someone can more easily end up with hands of useless skills. If you think that will be fun then by all means play that way. But I know I won't be.

Yeah, I agree. I prefer to mix, but I will wait until I have a third RED set before I do. Hopefully that won't be to long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald I
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Yes but what if they introduce a new yellow in an expansion after the red set. There will come a point where the administrative set-up time will out-weigh the satisfaction of playing a very good game.

Hopefully FFG will concentrate on the game as a game rather than a card collection set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boredflak Boltlobber
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been working well for us…

* Store skill cards grouped by attribute: Body (red fist), Mind (yellow eye), and Spirit (blue swirl).

* During setup, deal out 20 from each group and shuffle into a combined skill deck of 60 cards.

Anybody see a problem with that? It's a lot easier to store three groups of cards than eight (and probably more in the future).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I have 21 red cards, all different. And I have all expansions too. I expected to have 20 red and each other 30 - but that's not true. I have 29 of yellow.

It can't be a misprint, since then I'd have a duplicate of one red card. Or do people have 30 yellow cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
Hmm, I have 21 red cards, all different. And I have all expansions too. I expected to have 20 red and each other 30 - but that's not true. I have 29 of yellow.

It can't be a misprint, since then I'd have a duplicate of one red card. Or do people have 30 yellow cards?

We have 30. So possibly one yellow has been printed with a red dot instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
Slashdoctor wrote:

Is there a list of cards somewhere? I'd like to know of what is misprinted in this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:
Slashdoctor wrote:

Is there a list of cards somewhere? I'd like to know of what is misprinted in this case.

PM me your email and I'll mail you my Excel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
Slashdoctor wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:
Slashdoctor wrote:

PM me your email and I'll mail you my Excel

Done, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Boredflak wrote:

* Store skill cards grouped by attribute: Body (red fist), Mind (yellow eye), and Spirit (blue swirl).

* During setup, deal out 20 from each group and shuffle into a combined skill deck of 60 cards.

Anybody see a problem with that? It's a lot easier to store three groups of cards than eight (and probably more in the future).

Only problem I see is that the sets are balanced to have a reasonable spread of costs. The way you do it, you could end up with a deck containing very few cheap skills of one type and no stronger skills for another.

Probably not a major issue, but you asked and it's all I can think of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orion3T wrote:
Boredflak wrote:

Only problem I see is that the sets are balanced to have a reasonable spread of costs. The way you do it, you could end up with a deck containing very few cheap skills of one type and no stronger skills for another.

Yeah that is a pretty reasonable plan. Go for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Snider
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orion3T wrote:
Boredflak wrote:

Probably not a major issue, but you asked and it's all I can think of. :)

Wouldn't that also potentially skew the distribution of successes for skill checks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
quazai wrote:

Wouldn't that also potentially skew the distribution of successes for skill checks?

Yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
quazai wrote:
Orion3T wrote:
Boredflak wrote:

Yes, good point. In principle you could be playing with a deck considerably higher or lower than the usual 40% success rate and that will change the game difficulty accordingly.

In practise you won't know which sort of deck you have (normal, generous, stingy) so it shouldn't affect the way people play and until you have seen most of the deck your prior probability is still 40% though.

So yeah it will affect it, but in a random manner averaging around the correct ratio. I wouldn't want that personally but if you don't think about it too much it will just seem like you were particularly lucky/unlucky (which you were, but not in the usual way).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.