22.9% of Goal | 30 Days Left

Support:

H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played RR numerous times and am fairly good at it, beating most people I know. I like it but think most others don't like playing with me since I overwhelm a bit.

I have never played MM but am interested in it. I suspect I would enjoy RR's streamlined less and ease of entry, but I think this one would have more replay and be kinder to beginners/better at handicapping me.

Thoughts? Also, is it possible to play RR with a set of this? Does this come with a timer? Is the board bigger than RR's board? Is the board as modular?

Poll
Does Mutant Meeples replace or fire Ricochet Robot?
Yes
No
Other (Post below please)
      12 answers
Poll created by NowOrNever88

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Williams
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Let us go out this evening for pleasure; the night is still young."
badge
STOP! WHOSE TURN IS IT NEXT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Since a few years have passed now...does this replace or fire Ricochet Robots for anyone?
IIRC: The Mutant Meeple board is bigger, double sided, and the box includes chits to add walls for a more variable setup. Not sure about the sand timer.
You could ignore the super powers and use RR rules to play something very similar to Ricochet Robots.
That being said, I keep both games in my Mutant Meeples box. I love the simplicity of RR and I love the powers of MM, so I keep both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
McKinney
TX
flag msg tools
I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Whenever you become anxious or stressed, outer purpose has taken over, and you have lost sight of your inner purpose. Your state of consciousness is primary. All else is secondary.
mbmbmb
Re: Since a few years have passed now...does this replace or fire Ricochet Robots for anyone?
I was good at Ricochet Robots and found Mutant Meeples fiddly and a nuisance to figure out and review each character's powers each turn. Others are more competitive with me at MM so they might prefer it.

I bought Mutant Meeples because I am a fan of Ricochet Robots but I played MM at BGGcon and have never been motivated to crack the shrink on my copy. I occasionally play Ricochet Robots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I worry the same about playing MM and that itll be fiddly/I'll SO MUCH prefer the elegance of RR. But the replay and board and other ideas of MM appease me so much...Not sure. I guess I'll wait for more input.

I searched images and rulebook stuff. MM has a timer so you can use it to play RR as well. MM has 18x18 - 2 squares in a square shape while RR has 16x16 in a square shape. 5 robots in RR and 7 Meeples in MM.

RR's board is 4 small boards put together back and front, so its more combinations of walls than MM's which is a static back and front though. But MM has a hard and an easy back and front.

MM does come with construction/destruction tiles which seem to add/remove walls essentially to vary the static layout. It also has sidekicks for 2 more meeples for 10 total I think?

MM's timer is 30 sec according to reviews while RR is 1 min too, another aspect.

Anyway, ATM, I'm leaning toward MM since I suspect I could play RR with it by using 2 sets of player colors...not sure fully though. MM also seems to be more colorblind friendly, a smidge, which is a small bonus for my eyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.