Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Loftiss
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Does any artillery in a hex stacked with attacking inf/cav units that opt to retreat due to an AR result in combat, also retreat with those units or does the artillery remain in the bed and deny the defender the advancement into the attacker's hex?
I could find no rule pertaining to this issue. Technically the artillery unit is not part of the attacker's and thus would not retreat according to the CRT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Todd
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm having a hard time finding an answer myself, even looking in the rules for Jena! I'll check Consim and see if Ed posted something directly.

In the meantime, logic and sense make me want to say yes, the artillery should retreat with the other units in it's hex - but I would submit that it's not eligible to take a loss instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ed Wimble confirmed that artillery units can retreat (but only horse arty can advance).

Edit: cut out the second part of my answer, as it was not necessarily correct (!)

I can't see artillery standing alone while everyone else runs away though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Wimble
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,

I only have the JENA! rules handy, but they should supersede those in L'AdN in any case. In them horse artillery may retreat or advance as a result of combat (10.44). Since this is specifically mentioned I'm assuming foot artillery may do neither, and must lose steps rather than retreat.

Technically the artillery unit is not part of the attacker's and thus would not retreat according to the CRT.

Exactly. Since it is not part of the attack it is not affected by its results. So in this particular case, it neither retreats nor loses a step (if it were horse artillery it would have had the option to retreat, but would not have lost a step if the player chose not to). But the units that assaulted will retreat or lose a step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Todd
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there you have it, right from the horse's mouth, rather than what I said, which came from the other end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Wimble
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the advantage of being able to make things up as I go, and they are still official. But it's an odd thing figuring out what I wrote 20 years ago. The intent now is completely lost. However, think on the French grand battery at Waterloo and the infantry from d'Erlon's corps that retreated back to it. It couldn't have limbered up and gotten away even if it had wanted to, and much of it belonged to the guard so was made up of the best artillerists in the world. On the other hand, Mercer's battery RHA, performed all kinds of gymnastics escaping from Genappe on the 17th, and was almost as lithe on the 18th.

A better example occurs in the fighting at Ligny on the 16th when you had Pecheux' infantry assaulting the village, being thrown back by the Prussian counterattack which drove it onto the supporting French guns, who in turn did not retreat but stood rock solid, fired canister point blank, and drove the Prussian pursuit back into the village. That happened 5 times in the course of the afternoon between 3:00 and 6:30 PM. Or more than once an hour. (Eventually, for the 5th assault the 30th Line was down to around 100 effectives and led by a captain, they'd started the day with around 1300 men. On the 17th only half the regiment was available, the rest were casualties.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Todd
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remembering intent
Remembering your train of thought and intent from 20 years ago, especially after working on so many similar but different things since, would amaze me - I can barely remember from day-to-day.

I have a website with work-logs of my model building for two reasons;

1: I get a lot of questions via forums and emails about the models and what I'm doing - posting a work-log actually heads off much of that as well as documenting my work so people can see me screw up before they screw up their own projects copying me.

2: I tend to work in spurts with days, weeks, and even months between. I take notes and post these logs so I can remember where I left off, and what the heck was I thinking when I did that.

http://todd.mainecav.org/model/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.