Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

How is everyone that is currently playing the game handling the fact that gold, buildings, and upgrades are all returned to box at the end of each individual game?

I am asking because it does not seem thematic but I do understand it helps the mechanics of game play

Are players pretty much comfortable with that after a few games in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thomasrobb wrote:
How is everyone that is currently playing the game handling the fact that gold, buildings, and upgrades are all returned to box at the end of each individual game?

We are handling it by returning gold, buildings, and upgrades to the box at the end of each individual game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you talking about in terms of rationalizing why the structures (etc) disappear between games? If so, I think the idea is that ship upgrades and structures represent a short term edge in the related aspect of the factions. So building a gun tower doesn't mean that you're the only one with a gun tower, instead it means that you've temporarily pulled ahead in the arms race. Between games, the other factions catch up, and ships get a little better to compensate. To gain a long term or permanent edge, you need to use a faction improvement -- in this example, a garrison improvement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

yes Becq

that is what I was thinking of

but your answer thematically answers the question

thank you

(I wanted to have a more thematic answer to satisfy my gaming group's curiosity when I tell them the rules about returned items)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Sousa
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rob recently gave an interview where he explained this design choice. To paraphrase, initially buildings stayed from game to game but it caused runaway problems. Buildings provided so much advantage that players in early games cared more about buildings than actually winning the current game. And once someone had a lot of buildings they became too powerful. So the buildings were nerfed, but then there was no incentive to buy them. So Rob decided that buildings don't carry over from game to game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly

Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamblin Mat Cauthon wrote:
Rob recently gave an interview where he explained this design choice. To paraphrase, initially buildings stayed from game to game but it caused runaway problems. Buildings provided so much advantage that players in early games cared more about buildings than actually winning the current game. And once someone had a lot of buildings they became too powerful. So the buildings were nerfed, but then there was no incentive to buy them. So Rob decided that buildings don't carry over from game to game.

You nailed it. During one design iteration I decided to play almost purely economic. After a few games I had established such a significant degree of upgrade (purposely ignored winning to buy buildings and upgrades) that not only was I likely to win most games, but I had built an impregnable defense. Good times
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.