$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
49.3% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Tournay» Forums » Rules

Subject: Character effects after activating card in another player's district rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Theiss
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
When activating a building in another player's district, the rules state that "you do not benefit from your opponent's characters that are located in the same row/column as the copied building..."

I understand that. But then the rules go on to say, "However, you do benefit from your characters' effect." This small addition seems to complicate things purely for the sake of obfuscating the rules.

There is not a single character effect that occurs when you activate a building in another player's district. Am I missing something?

Or is this simply reminding (read: annoying) me that I still receive the effects of the characters in the same row/column of the building I activated in my own district? Because that seemed self-evident.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aftheiss wrote:
When activating a building in another player's district, the rules state that "you do not benefit from your opponent's characters that are located in the same row/column as the copied building..."

I understand that. But then the rules go on to say, "However, you do benefit from your characters' effect." This small addition seems to complicate things purely for the sake of obfuscating the rules.

There is not a single character effect that occurs when you activate a building in another player's district. Am I missing something?

Or is this simply reminding (read: annoying) me that I still receive the effects of the characters in the same row/column of the building I activated in my own district? Because that seemed self-evident.

Thanks!

I think it's probably just being overly clear that you still get your benefit for the initial placement (though as you said, it is obvious).

Some of the questions I've seen (hell, some of them I've *had*), I wonder how they could miss the obvious answer, so they're probably just covering their bases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Burkart
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aftheiss wrote:
Or is this simply reminding me that I still receive the effects of the characters in the same row/column of the building I activated in my own district?

My understanding of the rules is that this is the case. The cards that allow you to activate buildings in other districts can get complicated (especially if you chain them together), so perhaps the designer thought that a reminder would be helpful. Essentially, you only receive the effects of the characters in the same row/column of your building that you originally activated on your turn -- any other buildings that you use via a port or bridge isn't actually "activated," as you "copy the effects" of it instead.

EDIT: Dave beat me to the punch. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that some of the confusion comes from the idea of "activating card in another player's district."

That is not what happens.

You activate a building in your own district. It happens to be that you may have buildings that allow you to copy the effect of another player's building.

But you are not activating their building. You are activating your own.

For that reason, you derive no benefits from the opponent's characters in row or column of the building whose effect you copied - because you did not activate that building.

You do derive benefits from your own characters in the row or column of the building that allowed you to do the copying - because you did activate that building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Theiss
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Thanks for help, everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.