Hide
7 Posts

Potion Explosion» Forums » General

Subject: Shuffling potions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Nelson
msg tools
I've just recently picked this up and have only been able to play it a couple times, but it seems like shuffling the potions is really clunky. I've not had problems with cards or tiles on other games, but the round shapes with the stoppers sticking out of the sides on the top seem to make it difficult regardless of how I try. Is there some obvious insight I'm missing, because I really like the game but setup is just frustrating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Chan
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found similar problems when shuffling and even washing the potions in a pile is kinda rough since they're a little weird to pick up and stack. My solution has been to use a cloth bag to put all the potions in and mix and blind grab the 5 potions needed for display, discarding if I grab one of the two 'removed' potions. Possible concerns about game balance if it's intended to be able to pick one stack clean to reduce choices for future picks but I think it shouldn't affect play overall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Nelson
msg tools
I assume it should be possible to empty a stack, but I'm not sure how that could be used strategically (though I've only got about 4 games under my belt at the moment and that was 2 players). I might give your suggestion a try and see how it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James O

Pennsylvania
msg tools
I've only played once but this seemed to work for me. I threw all the potions used for the game in to the empty box top, shuffled them around, and just pulled a handful at random, stacked one of each into the five piles, repeat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hacker
United States
Elmhurst
Illinois
flag msg tools
Live to Game!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think literally shuffling them like cards would be tricky. I would advise just dealing them into piles sloppily, then redealing in the appropriate number of piles.

Another way you can speed up setup and increase the randomness is to not sort them between plays. When it's time for setup, pull the potions not in use as you deal the potions into stacks. Then at the end, just dump all the non-starter potions into a big pile, scramble them around and load them back into the box.

I've found that just doing that shaves 5-10 minutes off the setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Chan
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or shuffle everything in the box top and just draw five potions ala Ticket to ride?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Bowers
United States
Strongsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
Richard Harrow RIP
badge
Richard Harrow RIP
mbmbmbmbmb
Pile shuffle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.