$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
49.3% of Goal | left

Support:

Ryan
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Hi Everyone!

I have a couple questions regarding the re-release of this game!

1) Is it true that Love Letter Premium won't be available before November at the earliest? Isn't that a bit of a stretch... To my understanding, it was to come out Sep/Oct, and even now Amazon lists its release Dec 30.

2) Based on reviews, gameplay and such... You don't seem to be able to play the new 16 role cards with 2-4 players. Are those specifically made for 5+ players? That's unfair... I love this upgrade, but I'd wanted to try out these new roles with 2-4 players as well.

3) Since Miniature Market has this game up for pre-order, does that mean it'll be made available by November on there as well?

4) Playing with 5+ players means this game could turn into a Lost Legacy-sized mess with the 4-5 expansions, and the custom sets you could create. Lost Legacy has found a way to overstay its welcome... even though it plays the same, its prolonged games, and SO MANY DIFFERENT cards allows for a hectic game. I sure hope this is not the case with Love Letter.

5) I understand they shouldn't have "fixed something that wasn't broken", but y'all know how the business works, right? Producers will be milking their "hit" product for extra cash. I hope the retail price $29.99 is worth this game.

If you've read through these questions, thank you!

Any kind of response would be appreciated! xx

p.s. DID YOU KNOW?! Love Letter is now available on Board Game Arena; http://en.boardgamearena.com/#!gamepanel?game=loveletter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience of release dates is not the most positive - basically, when the release date was announced, it was, no doubt, their genuine intention to release the item then. Wizard's of the Coast's Magic the Gathering never fails to get it right. WizKid's stuff is hardly ever on time. AEG's Love Letter? No idea.

I think the intention is to release an 'ordinary' card version of this game at a lower price some time in the future.

I don't know if the new cards are only for 5+ players.

Value for money? The amount of play it's going to get in our drop-in centre, definitely yes!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Aldridge
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair, WotC/Magic have many things relying on pinpoint precision in release dates, and has put significant amounts of money, time and research into assuring their release dates are just that - the trade off has been product being available out of their control early enough to allow spoilers to be posted days, even weeks, before any sort of official release.

The board game industry doesn't suffer from the need for a level of secrecy that Magic or any other CCG would, and can use other (perhaps overall less expensive) channels and systems of distribution. The number one issue I hear about release dates for board/card game product is the inconsistency of passage through foreign customs. So often we hear "it's on the boat" as a milestone of a pending release. They may set release dates far in advance to try to counter that, but setting it too far out may hurt initial sales if people don't think it will make holidays or other social deadlines and devote their money elsewhere.

To answer your gameplay questions - the intention with LLP was to expand the game beyond 4 players. In doing so, they also embellished on the product itself (and it made a nice hat-tip to release it at GenCon in conjunction with the US appearance of the creator). The intention is not to prolong the game, no more than adding more players would normally do to any game. (In all fairness, Lost Legacy is just as quick of a game regardless of how many expansions you use if you still only have 16 cards and <5 players.)

I admit I haven't truly opened my set but from everything I've seen and heard from when I originally saw the game Gencon 2015 to present tells me that any of the cards can be used with 2-8 players so long as you follow certain guidelines in preparing your set of cards appropriate to the number of players. (ie. if you have <5 players, just be sure you end up with 16 cards and the same numerical breakdown as the original game.)

As for milking the industry - Love Letter (and Smash Up) have been doing that, and doing it sucessfully, since their release. (How many different Love Letter skins are there? At least each of Lost Legacy's chapters offer effect-unique cards.) The packaging, the large sized cards, and the other materials, all serve to make this a "premium" edition, as it's labeled, but it's in no way a required purchase no more than the "collector's edition" of a digital copy of World of Warcraft is.

Surprised to hear Love Letter's available on BGA without some sort of announcement in other channels (such as Smash Up's pending mobile release). Not sure how that plays out legally...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aljon Vizewsky
Slovenia
flag msg tools
2) Yes, the extra cards are meant to be used only with 5+ players. Nobody's stopping you from using them anyway though.

4)Gameboy Geek says in his review that the extra cards make the game a bit too long, watch his review for more info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me the simple solution for it going too long would be to reduce the number of tokens of affection yiu need from 4 to 3 or even 2.

Or play for points. First person out gets 1, second out gets 2 etc. The longer you last, the more points you get.

Then just play X rounds and highest score wins.

As for new roles. I definitely plan on using the new roles, even in 4 player. Ill just shuffle each number together and grab from its pile. So we will have balanced numbers but never be sure which cards are in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
portland
OR
flag msg tools
Except Colt Express!
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:

As for new roles. I definitely plan on using the new roles, even in 4 player. Ill just shuffle each number together and grab from its pile. So we will have balanced numbers but never be sure which cards are in.

So then you would always play with the zero?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madmanw wrote:
MajaiofDreams wrote:

So then you would always play with the zero?

Not sure about that. I'll have to wait till I buy my copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Cherry
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
skywide wrote:
4)Gameboy Geek says in his review that the extra cards make the game a bit too long, watch his review for more info.

I got the impression that he felt the larger game made the game a bit too long. His critique didn't seem to hinge on the cards, so much as the extra players.

While I have no experience with the cards, I don't think playing with the full 5+ player deck with 4 or less people will be quite as cumbersome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.