Subject: Character progression as expansions are released rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll admit I haven't read a full rulebook if it's available, but I've been trying to sort through many of the threads for this game as they pop up.

With expansions, can you just swap in new cards to character decks or do you need to "earn" them somehow (or both)? I'm assuming some good and bad cards linger with a character from one scenario to the next, but at what points does a campaign "permit" a major overhaul of cards? Asked another way, is a complete reset of a character "cheating" if you're playing in campaign mode?

One article mentioned that the Dunwich expansion will have new characters in case you got the old ones killed. That intrigued me since it seems a campaign not only remembers the state of the characters that make it to the end (i.e. what cards are in their decks right now), but the state of the ones who don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Bigler
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
The game advises you to start a new campaign with a fresh new Investigator, with no experience. So,if you use Roland Banks in the "Night of the Zealot" campaign (Core Set), you are advised to start or with a brand new Investigator or with a new Roland Banks deck (or the same deck, but with no experience). You gain experience betewwn the adventures that form a campaign, but nothing was said abaout carrying over the "Experienced Investigator" (L5R much?) from one campaign to another

But I don't think it is very difficult to do it. You can gradually add difficult levels to the adventures/campaign - playing the Core campaing in easy difficulty, then The Dunwich Legacy in normal difficulty... so an Experienced Investigator could be used as a house rule ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rog
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just guessing here, but I got the understanding that your supposed to start a new campaign with a new (lvl 0) character.

But since this game has rpg elements, I guess there's nothing stopping you from playing a new campaign with an existing character.
It's just that the difficult would get easier i guess.

But then again, maybe FFG will release POD Nightmare expansions like they have with LotR.
That would give you the perfect excuse to continue using an existing character.

Edit:
(Well, guess I'm a slow typer. Someone beat me to the punch). goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Bigler
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
But then again, maybe FFG will release POD Nightmare expansions like they have with LotR.
That would give you the perfect excuse to continue using an existing character.

With the already adjustable difficulties the adventures have (ranging from easy to ~i think the name is~ extreme), I don't think that we'll see "Nightmare" versions like LotR has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry I wasn't clearer with my original post. I was thinking about the Mythos Packs when I referred to "expansions".

I'm concerned with a character jumping in mid cycle: is there a means of "gearing them up/levelling them up" so they're at an appropriate footing with the rest of the investigators?

Likewise, if the story has progressed to a particular Mythos pack, but the next hasn't arrived yet, once it does, do I just swap in cards, or are the cards in the Mythos packs essentially rewards for completing a scenario in that pack (effectively they'd be what you'd use for the following pack).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think based on the FFG articles about upgrading, the you create a base character deck before starting the campaign, then the only changes from then on through the entire campaign are cards added by the scenario (good or bad?) and cards upgraded between scenarios spending experience points.

My feel is that maybe we'll get enough experience points to upgrade a card it two (depends on level of card and amount if points). So how likely is it that there will be even one card in a cycle pack that I really want (and legally can) add?

I think the best thing about cycle packs as they're released will be the new scenarios.

Once a cycle is completed, then building a new investigator deck with all the cards available at the start will be more flexible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you need to have an investigator jump in mid-campaign I think all you need to do is give them XP roughly equal to what the other investigators have and build them a deck.

What you do with new player cards is up to you. They are just new cards you can choose to put in a deck, that's all. Not special earned rewards. However, in LotR there are a lot of people who like to stick with the cards that were out at the time. Jumping a couple packs "ahead" shouldn't be a big deal, but in a game as old as LotR you have a sizable advantage with dozens more packs in older scenarios. Of course in AH you can also adjust the difficulty level more easily to compensate.

Edit: You may also need to add additional Weakness cards if the other characters seem to have collected those, or compensate by giving the new guy a little less XP if he doesn't have more Weaknesses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks folks! I'm really looking forward to this game. Unfortunately, my gaming group (including myself) often has a helluva time finding time to game, so I feel like the continuity of characters between chapters will get fractured a bit, so having avenues for catching up is useful, not to mention means of swapping in a character that isn't dead or bouncing off the rubber walls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
koraldon
Israel
holon
flag msg tools
mbmb
SirRoke wrote:
I think based on the FFG articles about upgrading, the you create a base character deck before starting the campaign, then the only changes from then on through the entire campaign are cards added by the scenario (good or bad?) and cards upgraded between scenarios spending experience points.

My feel is that maybe we'll get enough experience points to upgrade a card it two (depends on level of card and amount if points). So how likely is it that there will be even one card in a cycle pack that I really want (and legally can) add?

I think the best thing about cycle packs as they're released will be the new scenarios.

Once a cycle is completed, then building a new investigator deck with all the cards available at the start will be more flexible.

My guess is that the deluxe expansion will contain mainly level 0 zero cards, while mythos packs will contain mainly higher level versions of those same cards.
Makes the most sense to me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Browne
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
Isn't there also cards that have a certain level but don't have any level zero or low level cards?

Spending XP on those would be a way of new cards being included in decks during a campaign

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.