Firepower» Forums » Variants

Subject: Counter update rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor Henderson
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Am working on a counter update for Firepower. Here is an early example, am trying to decide between using weapon or soldier silhouettes. May have to move text from its original position to use a larger image.

Thoughts? My initial plan is to do a basic set (green and brown force), then do some country specific themed counter packs for the included scenarios.

Trevor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadir Elfarra
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always felt this game would've benefitted from a conflict-specific approach so players aren't wading through the dozens of weapons on the table for their data. Cutting it down to just a few weapons for each side would make that part of the game much easier (and likely faster).

Personally I like the figures approach, but the weapon images are very quickly and clearly identifiable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

I agree completely.
When it's infantry, I really prefer to see a figure, though.
I like #1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Henderson
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Thanks for the feedback. I think I will do two sets, one with weapons and another with silhouettes. The image in counter 1 is a "leader" so I will put that on one or two counters, then the rest will be random posed silhouettes.

Trevor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also prefer seeing the silhouette.

Did you use a font or images?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Henderson
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Images. Found some nice free raster images to use, they resize nicely.

Trevor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. Can you share with an occasional maker of counters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCue
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In other such games (e.g., Patrol!, Sniper), I find the side-view silhouettes to be dysfunctional with respect to facing. Which way is front? Out the top of his head? The way he's looking? It drives me to distraction--specifically, it makes me want to play a different game until I can have top-view (or, more practically, oblique-view) counters, or maybe just some Airfix figures, so that I can play the game without wasting half my clock cycles on Escherian facing.

Which is to say, can you make top-view, or oblique-view, counters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matija Bublic
Croatia
Ivanic Grad
flag msg tools
mbmb
I propouse you make Firepower unit counters concerning to postures- one unit, two chits, 4 postures. We would need analyse the frequency of postures used in individual games and posture changes trends to determine best pairs of postures for two chits of the same unit (1/2,3/4) but I believe that standing and crouched for one chit and prone and running for the other (double sided)would do just fine to remove some of the chit clutter on the board.
Propoused list of chits needed to be made:
10 rfl x2
3 cmd x2
4 lmg x2
3 mmg x2
3 lmg x2
2 mtr x2
2 flm x2
27 x2
54 counters in all for start. There are high res photos of sounters in FP gallery that can be used.
I propouse making universal table with fixed size and then just fill the info in the counters in photoshop or similar program.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.