$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 130.27

7,672 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
48.3% of Goal | left

Support:

Philip Falk
msg tools
So last night I pulled up RealmSpeak to get in a quick solo game. Having played some recent games as sneaky folk, I decided to give a monster-killer a try, and on a whim, picked up the dwarf.

Having read various debates about his Short-Legged curse, I decided to use the house rule in RealmSpeak that, instead of limiting his phases, just increases the number of phases needed to move. It fit better, I thought, that he still had the same amount of time as everyone else; it would just take him longer to travel.

I decided to head to the caves, which were only a couple tiles away. As I had to cross over the Ledges to get there, I was only too pleased that I had an extra phase to hide or peer as I made my way.

The caves yielded some trolls and the statue. I dispatched the former, snuck a couple treasures out of the latter, and then decided to leave before my luck ran out and imp showed up.

Except I couldn't--at least not the way I came.

I only had two phases from being in a cave, but my alternative short-leggedness meant I needed three to go back over the ledges. It was then with horror that I realized the only other exit from the caves lay across the cliff (the third went off the board edge).

My dwarf was stuck in a hole and couldn't get out.

Rather than test the RNG and hope to get the better end of a troll/curse ratio, I conceded; and concluded I should more fully think through the game implications of a given rule (or house rule) before adopting it, rather than just how thematic it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Unionville
Virginia
flag msg tools
Time for some new overtext
badge
Something will come to mind
mbmbmbmbmb
During combat you could have run out of the cave clearing and started the next day with four phases to complete your move into the mountain clearing.

It doesn't fix the problem from happening in the future but it would at least allow you to "climb out of the hole" and continue your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Red Hook
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Short legs doesn't just mean walking great distances more slowly. It also means that smaller activities, like searching for something, can take longer. I think the printed ability (with the rest bonus and Duck chit) is thematically sound. The Dwarf is actually one of my favorite characters to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Falk
msg tools
robertg611 wrote:
During combat you could have run out of the cave clearing and started the next day with four phases to complete your move into the mountain clearing.

Now that you mention that, I guess I do recall a similar move being used in The Book of Learning to utilize the extra daylight phases when leaving a cave clearing. I'm still picking up the intricacies of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.