Subject: NH creator mentions Neojungle mechanics issues. Can we fix this? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jędrzej Jarocki
Poland
Warszawa
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
In his talk on creating board games, Michał Oracz (via ZnadPlanszy.pl), the designer of Neuroshima Hex!, says that the main problem with Neojungle is that it will usually either completely overwhelm its enemy or it will be obliterated itself. This fact might adversely affect gaming experience when playing as/against Neojungle as well its viability as a tournament army. Oracz notes that Neojungle mechanics issues are due to Neojungle being one of the first new factions, and that the team did not consider some stuff at that time.

Okay, but maybe something can be done about this? It's not like old armies cannot be changed, look what happened with Doomsday Machine. And we have already seen how creative this community is, giving us fantastic new armies. Can Neojungle be improved/remade?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if the "problem" is merely that it either wins big or loses big, I don't see that as a problem (although I can understand how it might disconcert or confuse completely new players), but merely an interesting feature.

Did he think that Neojungle actually wins significantly too often or loses significantly too often? That would be a problem, to me. But that's a completely different issue from the described "problem" of games with it finishing with big score differences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For "hotfixing" the original, either you can find some amazingly clever reimplementation of Neojungle that changes its rules while keeping the same tiles for compatibility, and prove that it behaves better than the original while still being Neojungle, or Neojungle stays the way it is now.

Web Mephisto had the same thing. It needed to be properly reinvented in order to fix that.

But - MOracz did also say that everyone has the right to make their own version of Outpost, Moloch, Neojungle, whatever, and it does not have to have anything in common with his armies. You can put that right to use, too - if you feel like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Fast 4X eurogame Kickstarting in January
badge
First game is Tribes in January, participate in development on dev.teatimeproductions.se!
mbmbmbmbmb
Neojungle needs to get started and build some momentum, if they never do that they are boring to play and easy to play against.

My main gripe with the published armies is that poison can affect HQ. If you manage to draw poison early and infect the enemy HQ then the whole battle dynamic breaks down and makes the game a lot less fun. But if armies with poison are not allowed to infect HQ they are too weak. This means I almost never play or play against armies with poison. A more reasonable poison would add a delayed wound in the next battle, and then the effect would be removed. This would work the same for everything, including HQ, but would mean some rebalancing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.