Subject: Using the Shield when owner in Sunrise Box rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J A
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Hello fellow gamers,

I am uncertain about the Shield's power to cancel a negative Event card when the owner of the shield is in the Sunrise Box.

It seems to me 2 distinct situations may arise:

1.The owner of the shield has retired to the Sunrise box (ended his day) while other players have not finished spending their hours (i.e., so before the current day/round has ended): if a player activates a fog token that calls for an Event card, can the Shield of the hero who has finished his day be used to cancel the negative event? (can he use his shield even though he is "asleep" and the current day/round is not over?)

2. All heroes have ended their day and are in the Sunrise box (it is the start a new round/day). During the Sunrise sequence, a negative Event card is drawn. Can the Event be cancelled if one of the heroes possesses a Shield?

I'm quite sure the answer to #2 is YES, but I'm uncertain about situation #1.

Thank you for your comments!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must admit that I am not 100% sure, but I'd say "Yes" to both accounts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for your response!

Vardaine wrote:

Me too: although in one case the round is in progress, and in the other it is before the start of a new round (before the Narrator has advanced and the first player begins his turn), it seems to me that in both cases the Shield bearer is "asleep" (same status) , so it would be inconsistent if he could in #2, but not in #1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylusboy wrote:
Thanks for your response!

Vardaine wrote:

Me too: although in one case the round is in progress, and in the other it is before the start of a new round (before the Narrator has advanced and the first player begins his turn), it seems to me that in both cases the Shield bearer is "asleep" (same status) , so it would be inconsistent if he could in #2, but not in #1.

My thoughts exactly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ross Spurgeon
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - no (yes, maybe)
2 - yes

From my Fantasy Flight rulebook....

page 6:

"Using any item is a free action, so it does not require a hero to spend hours on the time track."

page 3:

"A hero cannot preform free actions after his time marker is already in the sunrise box."

I follow the page 3 description, with the exception of event cards drawn when the heroes are starting their next day (executing the icons in the sunrise box)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuel Fratila
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes to both, as long as you have the shield and you WANT to use it.
After 1st use, turn it over, and for the 2nd time, it is consumed, and put back to the supply.
The shield is an advantage in the game, so as long as you have it and you want to use it, you can, no matter the situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is really tricky, but here is my thinking:

1. The use of articles is a free action.
2. Free actions can be performed out of turn, but not if a hero's time marker is "already" in the sunrise box.
3. In the second free action example (KOSMOS rules, page 4) a negative event is triggered from the fog. The dwarf blocks this event with a shield, and it is stated that the dwarf has not taken a turn. This implies the dwarf is in the sunrise box.
4. Points 2 and 3 lead me to conclude that free actions may be taken by players in the sunrise box at the beginning of the day (before they take any other actions) but not at the end of the day (after they have moved their marker to the sunrise box).

So, in my view there are three situations, and they are resolved in this way:

1. A negative event is triggered at sunrise. Use the shield! (This situation is explicitly spelled out.)
2. A negative event is triggered from fog. The shield-bearer has not yet taken an action today. Use the shield!
3. A negative event is triggered from fog. The shield-bearer has passed, with their marker in the sunrise box. Can't use the shield.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Olsén
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say No to question 1. As seen from Scotts post from the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
Yes to both. Source: Michael Menzel in the German support forum "Die Taverne von Andor".

Quote:
Ja. Die Ereigniskarten bzw. Sturmkarten gehören zur genannten Ausnahme. Es ist egal ob die Ereigniskarten durch das Sonnenaufgang-Feld oder durch ein Nebelplättchen von einem anderen Helden aktiviert wird.

Translates to:
Yes. The eventcards and stormcards [the later referring to "Journey to the North"] are among the mentioned exception. It does not matter, if the eventcards are activated because of the sunrise box or by a fog tile activated by another hero.

And to specify, with "mentioned exception" he means an exception from the rule, that free actions cannot be performed wile in the sunrise box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks Susumu!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.