Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just picked up my copy of the Episode 1 game and expansions. After unboxing everything I have started to have a much closer examination of the rules. I had read the rulebook previously but there is info on cards and missions that make it much easier to understand as you go through it.

My question is regarding wound cards. I understand how you gain one at the end of a turn and that if you have three in your hand you are knocked out, but why would you ever play one? According to the rules, you get to pick up all your power cards once you have none in your hand and Wound cards do not count as power cards. So would you not just play everything except any wound cards and then pick up all your powers again? I'm guessing I am overlooking something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok..

This is a tough one for folks to wrap their heads around but ill explain..

Playing a wound card, lets you last longer. thats the short answer..

Lets assume we have 2 wound cards in hand already. note the Rule.. "when you have three in HAND <---"

Lets asume the turn begins you know your going to take damage this turn that will exceed your health. that means at the end of this round you will have your THIRD CARD.

Instead of playing a special power or secret technique, you play a wound card instead. THE CARD IS NOW OUT OF YOUR HAND. thus at the end of the turn you get your third wound card but you only have TWO IN HAND. thus letting you as a hero last longer before getting knocked out. You wont get this card back into your hand untill you play all of your cards and pick the pile back up.

You can keep playing them and suffering the penaly but your getting that exctra bit of go power.. then.. you have to pick up your hand and your done!..POW!..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That helps, thanks!

I was wondering why you would ever need to play one. So really you will only ever play one during the course of the game? When I first looked over the rules I had guessed that you would have to play the card at some point during your turn in order to empty your hand and get all your cards back. It wasn't until I read them more thoroughly that I noticed you can hold on to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Wrobel
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great explanation and one of the very novel and interesting parts of the game. It follows the comics with the damaged Hero doing their best to struggle forward knowing in the end that they will be done...

I did not realize that Wound Cards are not Power Cards (they should clarify that in the rules). Let me get this straight that if a Hero has only a Wound Card in hand (no Power Cards), the player will redraw the Power Cards at end of turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is correct. It is in the rulebook (near the end, pg 18 I think), under the heading End of Turn. It discusses cards and wounds and mentions that wounds are not power cards.

Now I think it could make the game more challenging if they were treated as power cards and you had to play them during your turn, but I'll have to get a bunch of games in to get a good feel for the rules before I start making it harder

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Armitstead
United Kingdom
Gravesend
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having read and re-read the rules a dozen times, trying to iron out the ambiguities, I now think that you have to play at least one Power card every turn, literally, as the rules state, therefore you can play one Power and one Wound, but not two Wounds or one Wound only.

This makes a difference as the Hero cannot make his deck last indefinitely if he is being wounded every turn, as has happened in one of my first games. Although of course, he could have more than three wounds in his discard and two in his hand.

I know the rules are confusing on this and originally I interpreted them that playing a Wound was the same as playing a Power card, but it does make more sense now to me treating them as different.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Wrobel
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely think some clarification is needed. In the GC2 rulebook under Weakness Cards it says, 'As new power cards can only be drawn after ALL the cards in your hand have been played, the Weakness cards have to be played eventually.'

This seems to contradict the rule of Wounds are not Power Cards and that you redraw your Power Cards if you have Wounds in your hand. I agree it makes sense if

1. Wounds are not Power Cards
2. You must play at least 1 Power Card/turn
3. Redraw if no Power Cards in Hand
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Armitstead
United Kingdom
Gravesend
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ejwrobel wrote:
I definitely think some clarification is needed. In the GC2 rulebook under Weakness Cards it says, 'As new power cards can only be drawn after ALL the cards in your hand have been played, the Weakness cards have to be played eventually.'

This seems to contradict the rule of Wounds are not Power Cards and that you redraw your Power Cards if you have Wounds in your hand.

Yes, that does contradict these rules; unfortunately, the clarity of the rules still leaves much to be desired, even after the FAQs have been incorporated. However, I think it is most probably a case of accidental contradiction as the lack of precision in the wording elsewhere indicates, because 1) the text you quote is not a rule per se, but a comment on playing weakness cards and 2) if it had merely been worded "As new power cards can only be drawn after ALL the ONES in your hand have been played," this further ambiguity would not exist.

If that's the case, do I understand you correctly that you would agree with my thinking that you need to play a Power card with a Wound?
Edit - re-reading your post I think you've answered already.

I would like to ask the makers but their website FAQ section is only in French.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Armitstead
United Kingdom
Gravesend
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just checked the Fan Edition Rulebook that apparently has been approved by the makers, and it states:
"A wound card is played like a Power card. However, during
each Strategy phase, a Hero must always use at least one
Power card and cannot play two Wound cards at the same
time."

Again, I think that is correct on that a Wound is not a Power card, although it is played like one.
The original Rule Book states "you must always play a Power card, even if it's a Wound." This is the basis of the first interpretation of the rule; that's where we all got it from! And I thought it was me mis-reading the rule.

However, the GC2 Rules p.18 states: "Attention: a Wound card is not considered as a Power card."
Then on p.23 it says: "A Wound card is played as a Power card. However, during each Strategy phase, a Hero must always
use at least one power card and cannot play two Wound cards in a row."

This last bit is almost identical to the Fan Rule Book, so I would say that is CORRECT! or at least a correction, because the rule was broken as it was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meaning you can't play two wound cards in the same round (on both sides of the character sheet), not one wound on two consecutive turns, correct?

Initially I would have expected you had to play them on your turn like any other card in your hand, thus adding to the challenge of figuring out which cards to play when....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy
England
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mb
I thought you had to play wound cards as part of your deck then pick them up again from the discard deck once you have no cards in your hand. Where in the rules does it say you dont have to play them

It makes thematic sense that the wound is like another weakness card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On page 18 of the rulebook under the main heading "End of Turn"

Note: a Wound card is not considered a Power card.
So a player who only has a Wound card in hand must
pick up all the cards in its discard pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy
England
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mb
Ok fair enough. Might house rule it though that you have to play......if I ever play a game that doesnt raise a whole load of new questions first!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Armitstead
United Kingdom
Gravesend
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

If you are getting hit a lot you will need to play quite a few wound cards to stay in the game (until you run out of Power cards). So the Villain can target a Hero and effectively force them to play Wound cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.