8 Posts

BattleCON: Devastation of Indines» Forums » General

Subject: Question about combining War with Devastation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Brown

Wisconsin
msg tools
I havn't bought either yet, but I'm more or less sold on the game.
Reading around, the general consensus seems that War (remastered) characters are worse than Devastation or something along those lines?

I'm asking because my budget won't allow this game until November so I'm making a re-themed version of it with my friends as a couple of characters so a) I can play it before I get it and b) to sort've ease them into the idea of the game (some of my friends can get overwhelmed with rules).

The majority of my friends are going to be based on War because I don't plan on getting that one, but I feel Devastation has some styles that fit my friend's interests too well to pass up. Would my Devastation based friends be at a significant advantage over my War friends?

Specifically, I was looking at Karin and Gerard from Devastation.

Also, one of my friends wanted to play as a character who: "Has low defenses, hits more at a range, that is also seemingly useless and not picked much." Anyone from all games that fit that bill?

Thanks for any advice! Can't wait to get my own box and relish the sweet, sweet artwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno about "seemingly useless", but Malandrax is a ranger with poor defenses who some players think is a joke. Also he's awesome. Do you might start there.

I don't think War is underpowered compared to Devastation overall, but there will be some matchups that feel unfair, especially for new players. Make sure you have enough characters to swap out one your friends find hard to beat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, it might help to think of BattleCon more along the lines of Dominion or the DC Deck Building Game, where there are multiple standalone expansions that are designed to work together (in this case, War, Devastation, and Fate) rather than a collection of unrelated games. They are designed to work together, and any character can take on any other.

In general, the order I've heard is War (simpler characters, has gone through a Balance patch, and has the most recent ruleset), Devastation (characters have a bit more variance in power level, and is a lot more expensive than War, but the large number of characters allows for a better difficulty range), and finishing up with Fate (cheapest of the bunch, but also has the highest average character complexity). But, in my experience, all of them work well together and it doesn't much matter, practically, which you go with first.

Finally, for your friend, it sounds like Rukyuk (War) may be the character for them. Very much a ranged character at heart, and doesn't have much in the way of resisting damage (though he does have a few tricks to manage his range and get out of a corner), but I don't think he's one that I would consider to be a rare pick. Voco (Devastation) may be another character that would work, very much fitting in with the 'doesn't get picked much' paradigm - but there's a reason for that. It's hard to work with his ranges, and he lacks the mobility and defenses to account for it. He can be fun to play, but it's a rough go figuring out how to get yourself in position to do your thing without a lot of mobility options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RyanDanger wrote:

Also, one of my friends wanted to play as a character who: "Has low defenses, hits more at a range, that is also seemingly useless and not picked much." Anyone from all games that fit that bill?

Malandrax is far from useless. He's a freaking nightmare in the right hands.

I would suggest Khadath from War, Malandrax from Devastation and Welsie from Fate for your friend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiran Kin
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RyanDanger wrote:
I havn't bought either yet, but I'm more or less sold on the game.

Voco fits this description perfectly, but he's also widely regarded as underpowered and can be very frustrating to pilot.

Marmelee is often considered seemingly useless; she does have low defenses, she's generally a mid-range fighter, and she's difficult enough to play that new players tend to look at her and assume she's underpowered. (Unlike Voco, she isn't.)

Rukyuk is the "original ranger," but he has moderate defenses and is extremely threatening at all ranges. Misplaying him, however, is extremely costly. He might work.

Malandrax is a terrifying control character who can make his opponent literally afraid to move. He doesn't seem useless at all, to me. >.>

Kaitlyn is a powerful ranger, but she's banned in tournaments because her matchups tend to be very one-sided (in which direction depends on the matchup).

Welsie is tough for new players to wrap their heads around. If your friends shy from rules, avoid Welsie at all costs!

All told, I suggest Marmelee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiran Kin
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RyanDanger wrote:

I'm asking because my budget won't allow this game until November so I'm making a re-themed version of it with my friends as a couple of characters so a) I can play it before I get it and b) to sort've ease them into the idea of the game (some of my friends can get overwhelmed with rules).

There's a Kickstarter active right now for Trials, the latest installment, so you might pick that up—the only catch is you'd have to wait for it to ship before you got it. >.>

Are you aware that there's a free Print-and-Play edition with four complete characters?

Trials KS: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/level99games/battlecon-...

PnP: http://www.level99games.com/downloads/battlecon-line-7/file/...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
All told, I suggest Marmelee.

If you do give Marmelee a try, remember Meditate -> Dash. She shines when she has 3+ Concentration Counters. Then keep disappointing your opponent by not playing Petrifying or Barrier when they expect and getting cheap shots in the process.

Do not worry about hitting hard, just worry about hitting a little while your opponent hits even less. Marmelee is my favourite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnson
msg tools
A perfectly played Marmalee game is a 20-19 time out win.

She is possibly the most obnoxious character in the game when played right...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.