45.6% of Goal | left

Support:

Peter Ball
United Kingdom
Nr Grantham
Lincs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bayonet and Knife why would I ever use Normal or Fast?
I have looked at the maths of these weapons. If I use a bayonet in Strong I have a 10% chance of a stumble and 30% to hit, if I use it in Normal I have 36% (axa+2ab+bxb)(a=2/10 & b=8/10)chance of a stumble and only 19% (a=1/10 b=9/10) to hit.
The Ka bar knife: Strong I have a 10% chance of a stumble and 40% to hit, if I use it in Normal I have 36% chance of a stumble and only 36% to hit and fast a 49% to fumble and hits only if I have a bonus on HTH.
The only reason I can see for ever using fast would be if you can hit more than one hostile on a card, but I am pretty certain that is not correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fike
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
PandaBall wrote:
Bayonet and Knife why would I ever use Normal or Fast?
I have looked at the maths of these weapons. If I use a bayonet in Strong I have a 10% chance of a stumble and 30% to hit, if I use it in Normal I have 36% (axa+2ab+bxb)(a=2/10 & b=8/10)chance of a stumble and only 19% (a=1/10 b=9/10) to hit.
The Ka bar knife: Strong I have a 10% chance of a stumble and 40% to hit, if I use it in Normal I have 36% chance of a stumble and only 36% to hit and fast a 49% to fumble and hits only if I have a bonus on HTH.
The only reason I can see for ever using fast would be if you can hit more than one hostile on a card, but I am pretty certain that is not correct.

None of us have the game and cannot help you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ball
United Kingdom
Nr Grantham
Lincs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was looking at the downloaded rules, hoping that they have corrected this as the maths is very weird.
It is a bit like what they did in Thunderbolt and Apache Leader where one of the options allowed you to fire missiles singularly rather than pairs with a -2 mod but this actually meant you had better odds of hitting firing one at a time than in pairs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David in Sydney (now in Coffs)
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the reasons for the changes to melee - is to allow for WF to expand into other genres.

It may be that in a genre that is melee focused there will be skills that allow fast to inflict more than one result. Just as there may be skills that allow you to recover from a stumble without spending an action (just like fast reload).

WW2 WF focus was on fire team to section fire and manouvre with melee being subordinate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ball
United Kingdom
Nr Grantham
Lincs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for that is this also the melee system that will be used in WF modern? It was more that why would you pick anything but strong when others lower your hit probability but increase your stumble?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Camas
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the equipment costs the same for the bayonet and K-bar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the draft that I have - they have different cost.
due to
The M1 bayonet had a Hit 8 vs Ka-Bar Knife Hit 9
(ps I think the M3 Knife is fun.... ninja )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PandaBall wrote:
Thanks for that is this also the melee system that will be used in WF modern? It was more that why would you pick anything but strong when others lower your hit probability but increase your stumble?

Unless I had a skill that avoided stumble and allowed multiple Supp/EKIA - I would only use strong.
But if I could avoid stumble and do potentially 3 EKIA - then I might go Fast..

Of course my Wave 3 Japanese Officer with a Katana ninja vs the Hostile USMC fire team arrrh may mean the potential for 3 EKIA might be the difference between Fast and Downed... zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.