Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have noticed that over several games, players that scatter the ball always send it to their own team when possible. And when it is not their teams turn, they usually send the ball to a far away point where the active team can not reach it.

Although this strategy is great for slowing down a teams scoring game, it forces the opponents to make a choice;
Run after the ball to be in a better position next turn, OR beat on the closer opponents to get points that way.

I have seen several rounds go by where several teams could not reach the ball and ended up just clobbering eachother.

This really hurts a team if they are more frail or aren't prepared to defend themselves from an agressive team.

So I pose the question, is feeding an enemy team the ball a good strategy if you think it will keep them off of you?

Also, feeding a team that is falling behind can get them some points and then make them a target going forward.

I wanted to get peoples thoughts on scattering the ball to give the best benefits, as tucking the ball safely behind your team may have painful consequences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dalke
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
I don't think there is an easy answer to this. It really depends on your team, the opposing teams, what the score is, what turn it is... there are just too many variables and I have to say that I have seen it done - feeding the ball to another team - making a good guess as to what goal will be used in a score - and where the ball will return to the pit and positioning accordingly.

dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ogmund prime
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't fed the ball to an opponent except to set up a "Shot Clock" penalty. While chopping teams should concentrate on smacking the opposition, goal oriented teams should spend the turn getting two athletes on opposite sides of the pit. A goal relaunches on the far side scored from. With an athlete already there you can effectively play a reverse game of tennis potentially scoring three times per turn once you get the ball. Using a turn to set up may not gain you immediate points but will definitely pay off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dalke
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Which is fun to do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mentioned an example in a previous session where I fed the ball to a last place team, which brought them into contending for the win, and allowing them to draw attention from me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ogmund prime
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could definitely see giving an opponent a "Lucky Bounce" so long as their athletes are far from me assuring that they will use that ball to chop or spike the 3rd or 4th coaches athletes. I consider that a win for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
The friend I play with likes to hit my dudes a lot. So I like feeding the ball to him so he has to choose to spike one of my guys in the face or try to make a goal. Ain't I a stinker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.