BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: What do you do here? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Who? What?
Antarctica
msg tools
Hi,
So I was surfing the nets, looking for info on a boardgame. Bam here I am. I make an account and start clicking on all the things. Suddenly I'm lost. My original goal way behind me, I'm realizing that there are a lot of people using this site in a lot of ways...but I can't really figure it out.
sooo....

What do you do here?
Like YOU personally, not in the general sense of what can be done here.
maybe you let me in on what you're up to and I'll just follow you around the site a bit, you know get to know the place.

Thanks.

ninja and a ninja because I just wanted to click on one of those smileys

• [+] Dice rolls
Lina B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome! There's lots to do on here. I spend most of my time here researching games I'm interested in. Sometime I read reviews or watch videos of gameplay so I can decide if I'm ready to drop some cash on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When I started I spent most of my time in the Recommendations forum, just learning about games/tastes. After a year I mostly only use it for researching games, like going into a games page and then the forums/reviews for that game. I also do auctions which you use via geeklists and you can find most the auctions listed at:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/66420/metalist-geeklist-au...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly I just cause problems and annoy people, but that's hardly limited to just "here".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I browse the forums, look at images and read comments about games I am interested in buying, watch videos, and keep my collection up to date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Tams
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Mostly I just cause problems and annoy people, but that's hardly limited to just "here".

You beat me too it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

strangely, one of the things I don't do is ... play board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
Research. This is the best site to research any specific game. I read the reviews, look up rules questions and check out the video section for any walkthroughs or instructional videos. I search for storage solutions and look at what expansions are worth getting. I will read quite a bit on a game before I pull the trigger to actually buy. The specific game forums are a great way to get a feel for the game and after buying the game, it's a great place to search for questions I might have and in the rare case it doesn't already exist, ask it.

A secret pleasure is keeping an eye on the top 100. I'm always curious about what is rising an falling. I always have this goal that I could teach any of those games on the spot if the situation arose, so as games enter the Top 100, I learn the game, even if I never buy it. It might be a little weird, but I like learning and teaching games.

I post sporadically, mostly in General Gaming when a post strikes my fancy. Mostly, I'm probably just looking for a good debate, but am not above posting fluff, I suppose. I also like checking out the Recommendations forums just to see if I can recommend anything that fits the request.

And finally, I keep an eye on the forums of most of the games that I own, just to see if I can answer any questions. Particularly the Go forums, as that is one of my most played games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
In the forums I take place in discussion, follow deals and auctions. On the game pages I use it for answering questions about a game, find reviews, print out player aides and and other files.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mabuchi wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

You beat me too it.

So annoying... wait...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Edwards
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I:
- Inventory my collection
- Look up avg ratings, read and watch reviews
- Subscribe to the Hot Deals forum
- Reference the Sleeves geeklist. http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/102880/card-sleeve-sizes-f...
- Reference the Plano geeklist. http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/65321/o-plano-boxes-how-do...?
- Subscribe to Trades and Math Trades forum
- Play NFL Survivor League
and
- Lose BGG contests

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
OI, that's my job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonia Mitchell
Scotland
Renfrew
Renfrewshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to subscribe to games, but quickly got swamped. Now I only keep up with:

BGG News
Kick the table
Every man needs a shed
Mina's fresh cardboard

I have hot-links (top left corner) to:
the recommendations thread general gaming
geek buddies

aaaannd I like re-rating games on my profile and adding new ones to the wish list (things I want to buy) and want in trade list (things I'm less keen on but still want to note the title, or games that are out of print) laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly write slashfic about other posters in my head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
I mostly write slashfic about other posters in my head.
I would pay good money to read that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's tons to be done on BGG I use it to inventory my collection, and I carefully keep my ratings and comments up to date on my collection and games that I've collected. This easily lets me go back and see what I think about any particular game.

I also log plays, so I can see how often we play different games at game night and also see historically how many games and which games we have played in a month.

The forums are a great place to look up recommendations and research board games through reviews.

I've also gotten fairly into my own PNP and retheming efforts, so I use the forums to discuss and share those.

BGG is a great place and a bit of a black hole -- welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I mainly visit the boards and post useless stuff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to read and obsess about rulebooks and answer rules questions so other players can have the best experience out of their games. I've subscribed to all the games I own and/or play frequently, so I get notified when there's any new image, review, video, and specially any new forum thread about them, so I can pitch in with some useful answer most of the time. You can also subscribe just to specific threads/blogs/images/lists instead of whole games, to get notified when new comments or items are added to those.

The site is a very valuable resource to read about and get to know any new game you are mildly interested in before buying, and you can take a look at the rules and frequent questions for the games you have already bought before the package arrives home. That way you and your players can have the best first experience possible (hopefully without a lot of mistakes and downtime while you check the rulebook for the 10th time).

The "lists" section is also interesting to know about other games that you were not prevously aware of, maybe because they appear on a list along another one you like ("Tile-laying games beyond Carcassonne"), or because they have a specific setting/theme you had never considered before ("Best cyberpunk games with dinosaurs"), or because they share mechanics/artists/designers/components that are relevant to your interests ("Games with real glass pieces"), or any other reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
southern AB
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm considering buying new games, I'll come here to get some ideas about what I might like, and research the ones that pique my interest (by reading reviews).

If I'm trying to cut back on game purchases and focus more on game playing, I don't visit the site as often, although I do use it to look up questions about the rules, just browse to see what others' experiences with the game are, and sometimes post session reports.

Occasionally I dive into the "seeking playtesters" or "free print and play" forums and geeklists, and just kind of browse around to see what looks like it's worth my time. I've gotten 3 or 4 free-ish amusing little games that way. (I say free-ish because while they're free to download, they take up a bunch of time assembling them, and usually I have to buy some kind of raw materials, like bristol board or foamcore, or take the files to a printing service to have them done up on heavy cardstock.)

I've even done a few game trades with local folks I connected with on the site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
Monky wrote:

What do you do here?

I'm not sure. I've always just kind of been here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Apostle Green
United States
Lake County
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mabuchi wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

You beat me too it.

I was going to say that about Bryan too... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my escape. Many of my coworkers take smoking breaks, I take BGG breaks. I answer rules questions, log my game plays, read designer blogs, track new games, maintain my collection and wishlist, participate in Secret Santa and Pay it Forward communities, and generally just interact with other BGGers. It's a fantastic community, I'm sure you'll find something to your liking!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:

You too??? I've actually amassed a few nicknames because of it.

As for what I do here... other than annoy people... I participate in different forums, waste a lot of time searching/reading/etc. stuff about games that I have and would like to get, I participate in contests, I participate in math trades, I buy and sell stuff in auctions, I started a blog, etc...

So... yeah... a lot of different stuff. Figure out what interests you and become involved in it. BGG is just your canvas. You'll find that it's quite the great community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Avoid doing work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep an inventory of my games, research games, and look up/ask questions about games I'm learning. I somewhat watch the thrifting Geeklists and dabble in RSP, but not too much. I don't know what most of them do that they're able to post at all hours of the day in the volumes that they do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.