6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: NetMeeples.com review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
matt janssen

California
msg tools
I posted this on Reddit, but BGG is my main source for games info and I thought it might be of interest here.

I just wanted to offer a review of the NetMeeples.com site. My family has been using it for several months and we are pretty happy with it.

Quick disclaimer: I don't know Mr. NetMeeples or have any Meeple affiliation.

For context, my wife and I decided to make our family a boardgaming family about two years ago. We noticed one night after dinner that we were all on our electronics—me, my wife, our three kids. There’s just that one precious hour each day between dinner and getting ready for bed where we are all together and don't have homework or work concerns and we didn’t want to waste it on Facebook, Youtube videos, iOS games, whatever. We did some research on good family games, bought Carcassone at Target, and just jumped in one night. Now we are playing games four or five times a week.

I decided to try NetMeeples for a few reasons: First, there’s two parents and a 4 yo, 8 yo and 9yo who all have different tastes and abilities and attention spans so it’s hard to find a game everyone is into. We’ve bought games that had good family reviews and found them to be either a little to basic for us, or too complex, or just plain boring or generally not our cup of tea. Then we’re out $40+ and trying to resell/ship the games gets us back pennies on the dollar. Second, we’ve got a short attention span as a family. For most games, if we the game 10 or 12 times we all get a little bored of it and its harder to get the kids excited about getting to the table.

We signed up for the lowest $20/month NetMeeples option. They mail us 5 games that we keep for two months before mailing back. If we love a game we buy it from NetMeeples and then it makes an appearance as a birthday or Christmas gift. If we hate a game we just set it aside and amuse ourselves with the other four. This has worked really well for us.

And I venture to say it’s paid for itself in saving us from buying highly rated games that we ended up just not being into for whatever reason. Ghost Stories—really well reviewed game, but it just didn't grab us. Arkham Horror—I was so intrigued by the premise and reviews I had to have it….but two gameplays was enough to make it clear we were four or five years from being able to really get into it in all it’s complexity.

On the other side, we’ve found games we absolutely love and didn't necessarily expect to. Cyclades I thought would be too much, but our kids love it—each step in the game play is simple enough conceptually that they can play at a really high level. Dragonwood and Battle Sheep—which I thought of just as box filler—we love. Love Letter Adventure Time edition—same thing: I wouldn't have bought it, but now that we’ve tried it it’s a definite keeper. And other games we liked –-like CamelUp--but we just have played ourselves out of.

We debate over dinner what’s going to be in our rental queue and it’s a big deal when the shipping box arrives and we make a little family holiday out unpacking the games and seeing what we’ve got. For us it was the perfect way to break out of sitting alone on our devices or vegging out in front of the TV. And it’s cured the acquisition disorder phenomenon that was stressing our shelf space and budget.

I don't know how the service handles higher end gamers--we aren't looking for big, intense, complex games--so I can't really speak to that. And I wonder how they handle rushes for the "hot" game of the month--but again that's not what our usage is about so I have no insight on that phenomenon. But for what we were looking for it's been a great service!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Federspiel
msg tools
Hey, this is Chris, the NetMeeple guy. I don't have a company branded BGG account, so I'm just using my personal.

If anyone has any questions, please let me know! Thanks again Matt for posting this, and thanks to anyone that checks us out!

Happy Gaming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is interesting to me. I like the basic plan, I really don't need more than 2 games at a time (3 tops in some less busy months), so the basic appeals to me.

We only can really play on weekends, so that is 5 days wasted out of 7 holding onto these games and that is my hesitation. And if we have an event, then weekends get shot pretty quickly... thinking I have 5 unplayed games sitting at home would make me sad.

But there is no premium option in the basic (or plus), which makes this much less appealing. I know it is probably based on weight, but could we (on occasion) possibly get a single premium instead of 2 basic on the basic plan? Probably not, but heck, might as well ask! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kalvin connor
United States
rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool review. Not sure how he makes any money with that model as shipping has to be close tot that each time! but sounds like a cool service!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Federspiel
msg tools
ReluctantFr0g wrote:
This is interesting to me. I like the basic plan, I really don't need more than 2 games at a time (3 tops in some less busy months), so the basic appeals to me.

We only can really play on weekends, so that is 5 days wasted out of 7 holding onto these games and that is my hesitation. And if we have an event, then weekends get shot pretty quickly... thinking I have 5 unplayed games sitting at home would make me sad.

But there is no premium option in the basic (or plus), which makes this much less appealing. I know it is probably based on weight, but could we (on occasion) possibly get a single premium instead of 2 basic on the basic plan? Probably not, but heck, might as well ask! Thanks!

TL;DR We may implement something in the future, but not currently, no.

Reasons are three fold:

1) We want to incentivise the higher plans with access to some exclusive content

2) Its a risk management thing. I don't want to loan out a $100 copy of Rebellion for $20. Also, some Premium games are OOP

3) They are usually larger/heavier which increases shipping costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Federspiel
msg tools
sircaradoc wrote:
Cool review. Not sure how he makes any money with that model as shipping has to be close tot that each time! but sounds like a cool service!

I keep my overhead very, very low.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.