Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: How Many Can Play with One Set? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob

Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game states that it is for 1-4 players, but how many people can realistically play a scenario with one core set?

I should note that this would be in a friendly, casual setting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kraus
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 core is good for 1-2, you need two cores to play 3-4 I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 players with one core
4 players with two cores
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmb
Realistically it could be more than two, as was the case with the LotR LCG Core set, but the game is not released yet so all we have to go on is what the box says and what FFG tells us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob

Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brady Sadler
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Donkler wrote:
Realistically it could be more than two, as was the case with the LotR LCG Core set, but the game is not released yet so all we have to go on is what the box says and what FFG tells us.

Unlike Lord of the Rings, the Arkham Horror Card game was designed to provide a complete playset with 2 core sets. This means that you'll have the full compliment of cards available for deck-building, with each unique card having the necessary copies off. I assume this means that you'll probably end up having a few extra copies of the neutral cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
My plan is to buy one core set to play solo or with another and by the time I get The Dunwich Legacy I will have enough to play with four.

I'm not falling for two Core sets.

It's a trap!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmb
strayknife wrote:
Donkler wrote:

Unlike Lord of the Rings, the Arkham Horror Card game was designed to provide a complete playset with 2 core sets. This means that you'll have the full compliment of cards available for deck-building, with each unique card having the necessary copies off. I assume this means that you'll probably end up having a few extra copies of the neutral cards.

What I meant was that you could potentially play with more than 2 players with only one core set. With LotR it said 1-2, but you could technically play 3-4 player if you tracked threat some other way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donkler wrote:
strayknife wrote:
Donkler wrote:

What I meant was that you could potentially play with more than 2 players with only one core set. With LotR it said 1-2, but you could technically play 3-4 player if you tracked threat some other way.

LotR 4-player out of one Core Set, you don't just need ways of tracking threat, you're also likely to run out of tokens, and you'll have nowhere near enough cards to assemble decks until you've got quite a lot of expansions.

If you wanted to do the odd game to demo the mechanics, it was fine, but you couldn't really take it anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Howell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What we know so far:

- There are five classes of player cards, plus neutral
- Each investigator has a primary and a secondary class
- There are five investigators, one for each class

I would assume that each investigator out of the five has a distinct secondary class - anything else would be weirdly unbalanced.

The key question is: are there enough cards of each class to support both the primary & secondary investigators for that class? Given the limited number of player cards in the set, I suspect not, but that's only speculation at the moment.

So with two players and a single core set, you may need to choose investigators whose classes don't overlap.

With three players, it's impossible to choose three investigators without overlap - there must be at least one class where the primary and secondary users are competing for cards. So I suspect one core set won't support three players, partly because of too much demand for the same cards, and partly because there probably won't be enough neutral cards to go around either.

Alternatively, there may be enough cards of each class to support both of its investigators, and the only limit on building more than two decks is then the lack of neutral cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob

Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Saw this in the game's description on Amazon:

"A living card game of Eldritch mystery or one to two players (or up to four with two core sets)"

I guess that answers the question.

BTW: Miniature Market currently offers preorder for $33.99 while Amazon sells it for $59.99.

Amazon also lists availability date as December 30th.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
koraldon
Israel
holon
flag msg tools
mbmb
You can probably play with four using a single core, dunwich legacy and some spare tokens.

@malcolm we know that base set comes with ten cards level zero per sphere, so not enough to play investigators with overlapping spheres.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.