Subject: Version 2.01 Released rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick PSA that Heiko has released version 2.01 of the game that overhauls a good deal. He's updated the rules and components on the files page but I didn't see a forum thread for it yet: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/114073/rules-components-l...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MyO the HedgeFox
Russia
flag msg tools
The Verse flows throughout Aquaria. Through each ripple and wave, through every living being, The Verse binds us all as one.
mbmbmbmbmb
After a quick read, I think the new version of the game is definitely better. It feels better, at least. The rules on the cards and with the dice are more consistent and less fiddly; however, I would still add some more clarification notes on them.

I like the reworked spice mechanics, the changes for the regions (significantly improves the valuability of the Polar Cap and and the Smugglers faction), the recruitment for Fremen, and other details.

I believe there is a slight typo in the Kanly rules: "Assassin Enemies" should read "Assassinate Enemies".

_

1) When the Bene Gesserit guess the faction using one of the loyalty chips, does the Bene Gesserit player have access to all chips to secretly choose one of them? Is this chip permanently out of the game until it ends? Can they pick a faction that is not in the game, just to spite other players with plans within plans?

2) The Duncan Idaho ability of the House Atreides -- do you require to roll the "caltrop" symbol only to recruit the second leader (and then use the second leader whenever you want without rolling the "caltrop" symbol), or to recruit AND use the second leader?

3) When you draw Loyalty tokens as per your faction ability, do you need to shuffle one of the two back in the Loyalty token stock immediately, OR only at the end of your turn?

4) As per the previous version of the game, can still you use your own alliance ("chainlink") ability (regardless of whether you are in an alliance or not)?

5) Heiko, would it be possible to gain access to the source files of the game (such as the rules and the cards) for localization? I did the translation of the cards for the previous version, but I think the current version of the game is a great improvement of the mechanic. =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Günther
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
Coming soon: Peak Oil!
badge
I spent 100 GG so you can read this.
MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:
1) When the Bene Gesserit guess the faction using one of the loyalty chips, does the Bene Gesserit player have access to all chips to secretly choose one of them? Is this chip permanently out of the game until it ends? Can they pick a faction that is not in the game, just to spite other players with plans within plans?

The Loyalty chips are prepared before player setup, but only dealt after it, so BG has access only to the Loyalty chips of players taking part in this particular game. The chip they pick is permanently removed from the pool of regular Loyalty chips until the end of the game.

MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:
2) The Duncan Idaho ability of the House Atreides -- do you require to roll the "caltrop" symbol only to recruit the second leader (and then use the second leader whenever you want without rolling the "caltrop" symbol), or to recruit AND use the second leader?
You may use it if it is on your player mat, but only recruit it if you rolled the Faction Ability symbol.

MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:
3) When you draw Loyalty tokens as per your faction ability, do you need to shuffle one of the two back in the Loyalty token stock immediately, OR only at the end of your turn?
Only at the end of the turn, unless your Faction abilities say otherwise.

MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:
4) As per the previous version of the game, can still you use your own alliance ("chainlink") ability (regardless of whether you are in an alliance or not)?
Yes.

MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:
5) Heiko, would it be possible to gain access to the source files of the game (such as the rules and the cards) for localization? I did the translation of the cards for the previous version, but I think the current version of the game is a great improvement of the mechanic. =)
The faction cards are still available from the last version, see file page, only the text on these did change. I will make the rules as txt available again soonish. Anything else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
You got drama all over my meeples!
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you satisfied that this is a completed game at this point? Obviously, you're entitled to revise anything as you see fit. My question is more tied to potential delay in crafting if there is another soft update on the horizon that may or may not change components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Günther
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Annowme wrote:
Are you satisfied that this is a completed game at this point?

Never.

Annowme wrote:
My question is more tied to potential delay in crafting if there is another soft update on the horizon that may or may not change components.

There isn't. Craft away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
You got drama all over my meeples!
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
lee elektrik wrote:
Annowme wrote:
Are you satisfied that this is a completed game at this point?

Never.

Annowme wrote:
My question is more tied to potential delay in crafting if there is another soft update on the horizon that may or may not change components.

There isn't. Craft away.

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup to both points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariusz Kosecki
Poland
Elbląg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job, Heiko!

I'm only bummed that there is no Shai-Hulud on the dice anymore... but I understand why it's better this way.

Couple of clarifications needed:
1) Piter de Vries - what does it mean during Kanly? Is it:
a) disregard the protection tokens and BG special ability this turn, remove a troop as per normal rules (skull symbol on a die)
b) kill an additional troop for each skull you roll (if any)
c) during Kanly step, kill one troop regardless of what you rolled on other action dice
Also, the rulebook states that Sardaukars and Fremen cannot be killed in this manner - why exactly and why isn't that noted on the faction card? Also, what about BG and factions that are protected?
2) Face Dancers - I would add "at the end of this turn" or clarify in the rulebook that those "activated special abilities are in effect until the end of the active player's turn" as I didn't find that explanation there.
3) Chair of CHOAM - is there any reason why didn't you split this ability into two? One which is not an alliance ability and says how to store the spice and other that is an alliance ability that lets you use the spice? While I know what the intention here is, it's still strange that the Corrino alliance ability is the only one on which "you" always addresses House Corrino, not the current active player (in case of an alliance). Do you see my point?
4) Shipping Authority is not clear. In previous thread you stated that the active player is the one that ships the troops, not the owner of the troops, so how this ability influences an ally's troops already on the board (either when SG is the active player or when SG is the ally)?
5) End of Turn in the rulebook states "If you now have two Loyalty tokens", which is unnecessarily limited to only 2. Player Aid is correct on this one.

I especially like how you must freeze the Sandstorm but have the option to reroll it and how Fremen always have one free recruit and now the number of faction dice is not an odd number (which would handicap the Fremen).

The strangest change for me are Smugglers. Before, they shipped to Polar Sink for 2 spice, other regions for 1. Now it's the opposite.
I really like the Rat Runs but it seems rather unbalanced... If Smugglers are the first player (or second, or third) they could simply start with troops in Polar Sink or Broken Land, then in their roll step get 4-6 spice and they won? (all 5 strategic regions are empty in the beginning) It's easy to get that amount of spice as when a sandstorm shows up, you can simply discard a faction die as you don't need them; this way, you could effectively reroll your 3 action dice almost 7 times, which is granted to give you 4-6 spice. Did I miss something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Günther
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
dannte wrote:
1) Piter de Vries - what does it mean during Kanly? Is it:
a) disregard the protection tokens and BG special ability this turn, remove a troop as per normal rules (skull symbol on a die)
b) kill an additional troop for each skull you roll (if any)
c) during Kanly step, kill one troop regardless of what you rolled on other action dice
Also, the rulebook states that Sardaukars and Fremen cannot be killed in this manner - why exactly and why isn't that noted on the faction card? Also, what about BG and factions that are protected?

C is correct. Piter de Vries uses different rules than regular Kanly, and thus ignores Protection.

dannte wrote:
2) Face Dancers - I would add "at the end of this turn" or clarify in the rulebook that those "activated special abilities are in effect until the end of the active player's turn" as I didn't find that explanation there.

I don't get this.

dannte wrote:
3) Chair of CHOAM - is there any reason why didn't you split this ability into two? One which is not an alliance ability and says how to store the spice and other that is an alliance ability that lets you use the spice? While I know what the intention here is, it's still strange that the Corrino alliance ability is the only one on which "you" always addresses House Corrino, not the current active player (in case of an alliance). Do you see my point?

You are correct, that would probably be clearer.

dannte wrote:
4) Shipping Authority is not clear. In previous thread you stated that the active player is the one that ships the troops, not the owner of the troops, so how this ability influences an ally's troops already on the board (either when SG is the active player or when SG is the ally)?

Same as any other Alliance ability. On the SG's turn, they may ship their own or an Ally's Troop from anywhere on the board. On the turn of a player who managed to ally with the SG, this player may ship their or their Ally's (the SG's) Troops in the same fashion. Still, the active player pays all costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariusz Kosecki
Poland
Elbląg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lee elektrik wrote:
I don't get this.

I wanted to say that it should be "Draw one additional Loyalty token at the end of this turn". Without this, it's not clear if your ability stacks (I execute it on my first turn, I draw 2 loyalty tokens, I execute it on my second turn, I draw 3 loyalty tokens, and so on). That's probably gibberish but consider what happens when BT player allies with Atreides - it's not clear if the "draw additional" happens always when drawing (so even when using Honorable Duel) or only at the end?

Ad 1) BG is also susceptible to Piter de Vries attacks, right? Or is his attack considered a "Kanly attack". Also: why did you use the "Kanly attacks" phrase? It's not used anywhere else - is stealing a protection token a Kanly attack? I assume not but it's not clear from the text.

Can't wait to PnP this!

Thanks again, Heiko!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Günther
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
dannte wrote:
lee elektrik wrote:
I don't get this.

I wanted to say that it should be "Draw one additional Loyalty token at the end of this turn". Without this, it's not clear if your ability stacks (I execute it on my first turn, I draw 2 loyalty tokens, I execute it on my second turn, I draw 3 loyalty tokens, and so on). That's probably gibberish but consider what happens when BT player allies with Atreides - it's not clear if the "draw additional" happens always when drawing (so even when using Honorable Duel) or only at the end?

Please consult the BT clarifications in the rule book.

dannte wrote:
Ad 1) BG is also susceptible to Piter de Vries attacks, right? Or is his attack considered a "Kanly attack". Also: why did you use the "Kanly attacks" phrase? It's not used anywhere else - is stealing a protection token a Kanly attack? I assume not but it's not clear from the text.

Not sure if I ever used that phrase. Please let me know where.

The Pieter de Vries ability uses different rules than Kanly, so BG Troops are a valid target. This special ability happens during the Kanly phase, this might be where your confusion stems from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariusz Kosecki
Poland
Elbląg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lee elektrik wrote:
Please consult the BT clarifications in the rule book.
blush I have no idea how I missed that! So, this is the only exception to the "It does not matter how many symbols have been frozen on the Action dice, the special ability is only activated once."? Why not put it on the faction card or add an additional symbol, let's say an asterisk, just as a reminder? Also, I don't want you to feel like I'm instructing you or something, as my posts might sound like that. I just want to hear your opinion

lee elektrik wrote:
Not sure if I ever used that phrase. Please let me know where.
The phrase is used on BG faction card under Prana-Bindu Training - "Your troops are immune to Kanly attacks", the rules do not specify what constitutes a Kanly attack. This is rather a nitpick about the rulebook/faction card wordings as I now know what was the intention

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Roy
United States
Largo
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Can I assume the new version isn't really compatible with the components from the PNP Productions version, since there's changes to the board/powers/etc?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MyO the HedgeFox
Russia
flag msg tools
The Verse flows throughout Aquaria. Through each ripple and wave, through every living being, The Verse binds us all as one.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew has also stated that pnp won't be making a version of this new edition, sadly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tompkins
United States
Stromsburg
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Scripture Alone, Grace Alone, Faith Alone, Christ Alone, To God Alone be Glory!
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone is savvy I think many of us would appreciate a file page that could be printed on sticker paper than could be used to convert the old pnp to the new one, in particular the board. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MyO the HedgeFox
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dtompkins wrote:
If someone is savvy I think many of us would appreciate a file page that could be printed on sticker paper than could be used to convert the old pnp to the new one, in particular the board. whistle
Its layout is quite different. There is no easy conversion for the board.
You need to close up the 6 markers of the Storm Circle and instead plant stickers of the Storm Landings on each region except the Polar Sink and Carthag, each marker pointing at the next one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.