Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some terrain cards indicate the respective terrain must be "at least X spaces away from other terrain." What if such a terrain card adds multiple pieces of the respective terrain (e.g., the terrain card that adds three stone columns)? Do the three stone columns also have to be X spaces away from each other? Or just X spaces away from all other terrain (i.e., all terrain other than the terrain added by that card)?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd take the rules literally. So yes, X spaces away from Y includes the terrain you are actually placing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shu1984 wrote:
I'd take the rules literally. So yes, X spaces away from Y includes the terrain you are actually placing.

Thanks. In that case, do you ignore terrain placement rules on the cards when the showdown indicates multiple locations where the terrain could be placed?

As an example, consider the screaming antelope showdown. The story event indicates the acanthus plants need to be placed within four spaces of the monster. But, the acanthus plant card says acanthus plants must be placed at least 5(?) spaces away from all other terrain. Given that there were 6 or 8 plants, this seemed impossible unless (a) the instruction on the acanthus card could be ignored, or (b) the two acanthus plants from each card could be placed next to each other.

I hope that makes sense--it's not easy to explain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The showdown placement rules supersede the terrain card text placement rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
TR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was about to write your example: if you do as above, you can't place antelope terrain. Seriously, there is no way to do that.

What I always did when drawing a terrain, I counted spaces distances from the terrain already on the board, then I set up the "two acanthus plants" at once, however I like.

Naturally, some showdowns force you to place some terrain in some position: those explicit rules (I think) should have priority over the card.

Anyway, at this point I have to say that these are all my thoughts on the subject. I would like to get authoritative response on this matter, since there is still debate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DyingTickles wrote:
The showdown placement rules supersede the terrain card text placement rules.

Right, I know. But, the placement rules for the antelope showdown don't designate specific spaces to place the plants. They just show a blue grid that covers all spaces within 4 spaces of the monster. So, my question is, does that mean acanthus can be placed anywhere in that blue zone, ignoring the card text? Or does it mean to place in that zone in a way that is consistent with the card text?

The latter is impossible, unless "X spaces away from other terrain" actually means other terrain (i.e., terrain placed by other cards).

Edit: This sounds like a really pedantic distinction, but it would really have a big impact on how all terrain in the game is placed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pruden
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it doesn't matter where they go. You place them at you please for the antelope. I try to make them even to make the fight more interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
TR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, good point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.