47.8% of Goal | left

Support:

D . J .
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Trolls: The rulebook lists them as having a 4 defense; however the actual troll minis only have 3 nubs on the back (defense side.) Which is the correct Defense Rating, 3 or 4 ?

2) High Elf Cavalry cost is listed in the rulebook as 5 (stats: attack 3, defense 2, plus cavalry special power) . However a Minotaur (which has the same attack and defense but no special power) costs 7. A Dwarf Bear Rider has attack 2, defense 3, special cavalry power, and is also cost 7. Is the High Elf Cavalry cost of 5 too low / a misprint? Why would I pay 2 more for a Minotaur, which has worse characteristics? (Or do Minotaurs actually have a special power that justifies their cost being 2 higher than High Elf Cavalry? Rulebook has no special power noted for Minotaurs.)

3) The rulebook seems to imply that Wizards and Cavalry can be placed in and attack from either front or rear rank, but I cannot find it explicitly stated. Can they be in, and attack from, either rank? If so, can they switch ranks at any point during the battle?

Thanks in advance for any help clearing up these questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Blume
msg tools
publisher
Re: Questions: Troll Defense Rating? High Elf Cavarly cost? Wizard and Cavarly Ranks?
Hi DJ,

Thanks for the questions.

The troll has a defense of 3 (that was the final change in the game and it did not get updated in the rulebook).

I will check on the costs about Minotaur vs. High Elf Cavalry.

Cavalry are front rank units.

Wizards are ranged.

Keith

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Blume
msg tools
publisher
Hi DJ,

There are two items I wanted to follow up on.

In another thread someone was asking about the Centaurs (because they have a bow). I posted in that thread that I would treat those units (and only Centaurs) as ranged cavalry. This makes them an interesting unit because if you as the attacker take a shot into your opponent's ranged rank - the only ranged unit (at present) that also has the cavalry trait is the Centaur. So the centaur can be a powerful ranged unit as a result of its cavalry bonus.

For the expansions in general we opted for streamlined rules (here is a quote from the KS thread) -
Quote:
For the massive expansion set, we wanted to make sure the current rules did not break the game so we opted to keep the rules streamlined. As we release expansions individually into retail, we will refine and add rules. Backers who got all the expansions have about 2-3 years of releases. So questions/ideas like yours are welcome and encouraged. The feedback we received from players via Kickstarter, at conventions, and via playtests has been invaluable in making the game better. We will share our further developments with all of you so you are having an ongoing experience with all the mini goodness you purchased.

That said, we did explore having some asymmetric costs for units. For that reason, the minotaurs are not the best unit to buy from the beastmen ranks and the high elf cavalry are a good unit to get from the high elves. If you prefer to keep all of the expansion costs evenly balanced I would make the minotaur 5 and the high elf cavalry 7. But I wanted to answer your question as to why the imbalance in prices.

Keith
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D . J .
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Keith,

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide official responses and especially the reasoning behind the rulings. Unfortunate about the Troll defense misprint in the expansion rulebook; I hope word of this gets out to all the backers via some sort of FAQ/Errata update on Kickstarter.

As for the following, though...

l4studios wrote:
In another thread someone was asking about the Centaurs (because they have a bow). I posted in that thread that I would treat those units (and only Centaurs) as ranged cavalry. This makes them an interesting unit because if you as the attacker take a shot into your opponent's ranged rank - the only ranged unit (at present) that also has the cavalry trait is the Centaur. So the centaur can be a powerful ranged unit as a result of its cavalry bonus.

... I'd like to note that the Goblin Wolf Rider miniatures are also holding bows. So should these be considered ranged cavalry units as well? (And if so, I guess there goes the uniqueness of Centaurs!)

edit: typos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Blume
msg tools
publisher
OMG!!!! The wolf rider is one of my favorite figures and I totally spaced that!!!! I like the wolf riders as melee but clearly my reasoning for the centaurs is off!!!! That was a space out on my part. If a figure has a ranged weapon in hand then that figure should be ranged. That passes the KISS test.

I am assembling an FAQ for Kickstarter and here. My other job has me tied up more than normal for the next few days but I will get that up ASAP and work to answer questions as they come up as quickly as possible.

Keith
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Paella
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
l4studios wrote:
OMG!!!! The wolf rider is one of my favorite figures and I totally spaced that!!!! I like the wolf riders as melee but clearly my reasoning for the centaurs is off!!!! That was a space out on my part. If a figure has a ranged weapon in hand then that figure should be ranged. That passes the KISS test.

I am assembling an FAQ for Kickstarter and here. My other job has me tied up more than normal for the next few days but I will get that up ASAP and work to answer questions as they come up as quickly as possible.

Keith

Does this mean we should treat the "Goblin Wolf Riders" as a missile troop? you really didn't answer that, hah.

FWIW, the "Goblin Wolf Riders" are not listed as having the "CAVALRY FLANKING" power on the front page of the expansion rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Blume
msg tools
publisher
Hi Paul!

Yes on the goblin missile troop (and yes on flanking). The Wolf Riders are fast and can be painful...the WarQuest unit equivalent of hornets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.