Hide
15 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Which (Reference Card) Difficulty do you prefer? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Koen Pater
msg tools
So, we normally play with 4 players, and I'm torn on which reference card to use. The normal one (1 Gate, +2 Surge) or the updated one (2 Gates, +1 Surge).

I understand the updated one brings the difficulty back up to the intended level, but there are many things I like about the original reference card balance:

- You get fewer Gates, that are on average guarded by more Monsters. This makes closing a Gate harder (which I like, you go through those Otherworld cards a bit too quickly), and also increases the value of items/abilities that allow you to bypass/deal with Monsters (The Pallid Mask, Tommy Muldoon, etc.).

- Yellow and Green Mythos cards are closer together in terms of impact. Yellow cards are still more dangerous, but at least it's the difference between 1 Gate or +2 Monsters. With the updated cards, Yellow cards really have all the pain stacked on them.

However, it might be too easy to keep Doom in check, resulting in drawn-out games (and defeat by Mythos-card depletion, the most boring way to end the game).

So, what is your experience? Which cards do you use and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KPater wrote:
So, what is your experience? Which cards do you use and why?

I found the originals seriously too easy, and found the the revised ones too hard. So I split the difference, and went with something that's in between the two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knapp

Yellowstone National Park
Wyoming
msg tools
I use the re-revised ones, although I have no idea if these are harder or easier than the originals. Anyone know? The thing I liked about them is that they supposedly make the difficulty the same for all investigator counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morlow00 wrote:
I use the re-revised ones, although I have no idea if these are harder or easier than the originals. Anyone know? The thing I liked about them is that they supposedly make the difficulty the same for all investigator counts.

Speaking as the guy who made them...

4, 7, and 8 players are harder than the originals. 5 is easier. 3 and 6 are fairly close to the original, if not precisely like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Little
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been using the revised ones recently and am going to stick with them until I've played a large number of games (upwards of 20 total) spread across all the AOs. The goal is to build an overall feel based on a larger sample set rather than just a few. For context, I play using four investigators almost exclusively

I'm currently halfway through (10 games) and am adjusting to the overall changes (e.g. need to close gates fast). Thoughts based on what I've seen so far:
- for the easier AOs such as Elder Things they manage to make things challenging as opposed to an inevitable win.
- conversely, for harder AOs they make things well nigh impossible unless you are luck
- I enjoy having to go to other worlds and close gates. Without the additional pressure it wasn't uncommon for me to end a game having closed just a handful of gates; with the revised cards I'm having to close lots more (in one case 11 gates in a single game).
- There is intense pressure to close gates from the start given that if you don't you'll have 4 (or even 6 or 8) gates after a few turns. If these gates don't get closed, the end is pretty much pre-ordained unless you get a good task resolution that closes a lot of gates.

When I finish my self imposed run through I'm almost certainly going to not stick with using them all the time. Options include
- using Xelto's revised revised cards (which looks promising since it's not as intense as the revised)
- sticking with revised, but mixing in staged mythos so there isn't a chance of getting a hard mythos at the start which can really mess things up
- alternating: if the last game against an AO was a win, use the revised cards the next time, otherwise use the regular.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Yeah no, 3 gates isn't happening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knapp

Yellowstone National Park
Wyoming
msg tools
Xelto wrote:
Morlow00 wrote:

Speaking as the guy who made them...

4, 7, and 8 players are harder than the originals. 5 is easier. 3 and 6 are fairly close to the original, if not precisely like it.

Awesome, thanks! I started at two investigators for the first three games or so then moved up to three investigators since then (I have played 11 now). I'm thinking I will make the jump to four investigators next game. I finally feel like I have most of the mechanics down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KPater wrote:
-You get fewer Gates, that are on average guarded by more Monsters.
I'm missing something: how do the new Reference Cards affect the number of Monsters on a Gate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Pater
msg tools
mccrispy wrote:
KPater wrote:
I'm missing something: how do the new Reference Cards affect the number of Monsters on a Gate?

The new cards have a lower Monster Surge count than the old ones (at least for four players).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KPater wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
KPater wrote:

The new cards have a lower Monster Surge count than the old ones (at least for four players).
Ah, of course. I'd forgotten that Surge controls the number of Monsters spawning on the surging Gates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Hutchinson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I'm a little confused. I have all the expansions but when did the updated reference cards get added?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Polysaccharide wrote:
I'm a little confused. I have all the expansions but when did the updated reference cards get added?
They are at the end of the electronic edition of the FAQ. Not the best way to publicise them, I'd agree.

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/e3/a5...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Poor
United States
Dexter
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We use the revised cards, and the difficulty went up, as gate management became much more important. We were rarely affected by monster surges, (since we prioritize closing upcoming gates), so the drop from 2 to 1 did not seem to be a big help, and with more gates open, the chance for a surge has actually increased in our games.

I think that, overall, the revised cards have spawned more monsters than the old ones did, due to this effect. No stats to back it up, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The new versions were suposed to make the game more difficult because focus tokens did make the game too easy!
They Also balance the game difficulty vs player count a Little bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I win a game using the base reference card, I use the variant reference card for the next game. If I lose that game, I go back to the base reference card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.