4 Posts

Middle-Earth» Forums » General

Subject: PBEM Challenge Deck game anybody? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Kilpatrick
Australia
flag msg tools
I've recently completed a challenge deck game offline. For details of the game see Chris-DeckEvsDavid-DeckD. Would anybody like to play a game using this method? It is quite different from playing online in realtime and you need to be the patient sort. However it does provide a way to learn the rules at your own speed while playing somebody else whereas trying to do that online might be a little intimidating! I enjoyed being able to use my physical card collection and understood the rules better especially through my opponent pointing out things I had got wrong from the start.

Edit: changed "by email" to "offline"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you explain a little how this would work? You set up your own deck and just email the other player what cards you play etc? Or do you email photos back and forth about the game state as well? I'd be interested to give it a try, but have never tried anything like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kilpatrick
Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks for the enquiry Wiet! Here's a sequence to help illustrate the method.

1. Player A has the cards setup on his bookshelf. It's his turn and he decides to turn up his previously played destination site card for one of his companies.
2. Player A turns the card over on the bookshelf.
3. Player A types in a new line in the Google Docs document explaining what he has done.
4. Player B sees the new line in the Google Docs document.
5. Player B turns over the site card at his place.
6. Player B looks at his cards and decides what hazard he is going to play first.
7. Player B types in a new line in the Google Docs document explaining what he has done.

So it goes on. The files show the actual format used. At the end of each turn players update a new sheet in an excel document describing the cards they have in play so there is a checking mechanism to prevent the two physical representations of the game from getting out of sync.

When Player A has to draw from the play deck he draws from his physical play deck. Player B has to trust Player A to draw from the top sight unseen and not be rifling through the deck looking for a particular card.

Where possible one player rolls dice for both players. For example once a combat strike is actually resolving with a dice roll the same player would then do the body check dice roll if needed. So player control passes back and forth as decisions are needed but not for mechanical tasks like rolling dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like something I'd like to try. Completing a game may take a while I reckon but that's fine. You just leave the setup somewhere out of the way. I'll send you a geekmail to take this up further privately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.