Hide
5 Posts

Favor of the Pharaoh» Forums » General

Subject: How I organize the playing pieces rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy W
msg tools
Big FoP fan here. My friends and I play all the time. But one problem we kept running into is that setup took too long. Or, if you carefully organized the cards so that setup wasn't too bad, tear-down took too long. So, because I'm a dork, I made my own trays and organization system:

(My cat decided to sit in the box because that's what cats do).

As you can see, I made trays for each level, as well as a tray to hold the pieces that aren't part of any specific level. Because you never need to hide or shuffle the cards, I realized I could put whatever I wanted on the backs of the cards and not affect gameplay. So I color-coded them by level and gave them numbers.

Example: All four copies of "Farmer" have a gray 1 on them.

The tan cards are numbers 1-5, blues are 6-8, and reds are 9-11. Then I made some custom dice (visible in the upper left corner) for rolling which tiles the game will have. It's functionally identical to normal set-up but oh god so much easier. And putting thins away is extremely fast. We flop over all the cards, every player takes a tray or two, then collects the cards of their colors. Then the giant-assed numbers tell you exactly where to put them.

And of course I designed the trays such that everything fits in the box:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why don't you use the app to randomly generate the tiles used?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy W
msg tools
My friends and I are kind of purists. We don't like involving computers in our boardgaming. There are a couple of exceptions (Werewolf One Night, X-Com) but we avoid it if we can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
I sorted my tiles in the tray that came in the box (nice one by the way, allthough it should have been higher, so the tiles wouldn't fall all over the place when carrying the box in a bag with me) by level AND color. This makes it possible to just shuffle them and pick the top one (and the second tile, which is different, if it's yellow). This is similar to the card selection in games like Quarriors. It's quicker than rolling the dice for setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice optimization. You're a man.

I'd just like to point out that, we get the plastic insert (which is not bad, in its own right) instead of stacked trays in the commercial version for the obvious reason of production cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.