Subject: Help me get this to the table! :) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone

So I bought Starcraft off of somebody about 4-5 years ago. He was selling it for like $30 and I have been a long time fan of the pc game. I thought the boardgame would be cool to have. Not long afterwards I bought Brood War through ebay. These games have been sitting on my shelf ever since!

I have decided to start downsizing my collection and I realised there are a lot of games I have never played just sitting on my shelves. This makes me cry whenever I look at them!

I have been trying to get all of these games to the table to see which ones I like enough to keep and which ones need to go. Starcraft is on that list.

As somebody completely new to this game I was hoping people here could give some advice on what I need to know. First of all, the rule book is like 50 pages! Before I start to read through this thing which seems like an absolute nightmare, is there an updated, streamlined version of the rules somewhere? I'm more concerned with important rules updates or clarifications which may not be covered in the original rule book.

Secondly, I have read many people's posts on here saying that Brood War is essential to the game. Would it be better to try and learn SC by including Brood War right from the beginning?

The other concern I have, and this is the main reason why I haven't been motivated to learn it, is I read people saying that this game is loooooong! Like roughly 5-6 hours! I don't know anybody who would be willing to sit that long for something like this. Are there specific reasons why this game takes so long, or is it simply just the nature of the game?

Nobody in my gaming group has ever played SC so the only way I'll be able to get this to the table is by learning it myself, and learning it well enough that I could teach it to people. Any streamlining or ways to increase efficiency when teaching this would be greatly appreciated. Personally I feel that if the game is long, but it's fun and engaging for the most part I would be willing to play it. If it is a long game simply because it drags on and on, and things just become mundane and repetitive then I might have to just give up on this one and sell it.

Thanks for the help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmb
So I never played the vidrogame and back then I only purchased it becsuse ig was heavily discounted and I thought I would be able to trade for something I'd like better.... sobthen I tried it out and it turned out to be one of ky favourite games of all times. I proceeded to buy the expansion.

So far I haven't played with the exoansion yet. It's not a game that I play often but I do love playing it and it's still ok without the expansion. I would keave the expabsion for later.

As far as the rules are concerned they are actually ok. Definitely not the worst the came out of FFG's editorial forge.

What I would recommend doing perhaps, is to see if anybody on here is available to skype with you (or facebook, or whatsapp, or any other means available to you) and actually set up the game and guide you through the game with all its rules.

Alternatively, you'll just have to read the rules yoursel.

As for playing time, 5-6hours doesn't seem right. Last ti e I played was a 6-player game and it took about 3 hours. I think a 2-player game can be played in under 1 hour and a 4-playr game in under 2 hours.

Playersneed to be familiar with the game of course.

It's a fantastic game and if you like the video game, than you're in for a treat. Keep it! Oh and it is also a great 2-player game. So maybe start with only one more player to help you through the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Schipper
United States
Prescott Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two years ago, my situation was almost exactly the same as yours.

I'm not sure if there is really a substitute for reading the rulebook through and absorbing it. There is a lot there and it takes some time to read, so I would recommend taking notes as you go and keeping those for reference. (Include page numbers so you can look things up easily.) I have personal notes that I took during this process that have been invaluable to me for refreshing myself on the rules as well as teaching others. I don't know if my notes would be helpful to you as the process of taking the notes was key in my learning the game, but if you send me a GM with your e-mail I can forward them on.

I own Brood War, but have not played it. I would not recommend adding it the first game as that would just mean even more reading before you get to play. My understanding is that Brood War fixes some balance issues you wouldn't notice the first game anyway along with the way the game tends to end abruptly at times.

I've only managed to get the game to the table 3 times now, each time there were new players. I've only played 3-player games and that seemed like the right number for teaching/learning the game without too much downtime. I would estimate the time commitment to explain rules and play a 3-player game out to be 4-5 hours. I had players arrive at my house to play at 1pm and we always were done before 6pm. The better you know the rules and are prepared to give a good, concise summary, the smoother it will go. Also, if you have a buddy willing to read through at least portions of the rulebook, having a second person to remember rules is very helpful.

FFG probably still has the game rules and FAQ posted in their archive if you do an Internet search. To my knowledge, there has been no update to the rules, but having them on a computer is helpful in searching for keywords, so I always have my laptop handy at the table for that reason. If you can't find the rules anymore, I can forward you the PDF's via e-mail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few things:

The game plays great with low player counts so don't feel that you need to get a big group. 1 or 2 other people is fine. The play length is also heavily dependent on player count so keeping it low can keep the game in the 3-4 hour range, even for a first game.

Don't play with Brood War. In the base game the special victory conditions of certain factions are overpowered. However, if you play with a small player count, you could play with the best factions (Mensk, Kerrigan, and the Protoss that doesn't just increase victory point requirements). The other big thing the expansion does is balance out some of the units so things are more viable, but that isn't a huge deal. Brood War is great, but not worth the added complexity if you are unfamiliar with the game.

Don't give Zerg to anyone unfamiliar with the game. Ideally they play Terran, but Protoss is doable.

The rulebook is not very bad. There are a lot of graphics and examples, and most of the complex part of the game is in combat. You should read all of it, but don't worry about all the details of combat when you first start playing. You can give a high level overview and then explain further when combat happens/questions come up.

MAKE SURE you stress how the order stack works (and make sure you know). First time players always inevitably put stuff in reverse order leading to useless actions. On the first turn, you play the build action on the neighboring planet, and THEN you put the move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck getting to play it! I've never had a chance to myself as I don't know anyone that owns it but I have recently played Forbidden Stars, which I'm told is heavily inspired by Starcraft, and really enjoyed it. If the two are closely related, I think you're in for a treat.

As a pretty big fan of the IP, I wish I could play it someday. Alas, it seems to go for such stupidly exorbitant prices these days that I've just resigned myself to knowing that it probably won't happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the ideas of taking notes on the manual and just keeping the player count low. Honestly this looks like a game that ill just end up keeping forever and play it with my kids when they get older... Unless i find people in my area who want to play it.

I started goi g through the rules and the first bit seems easy to get through. As mentioned there are lots of examples and pictures... Which im ok with. Its better than having a 10-15 page rulebook thats unorganized and doesnt provide enough of the right info.

I was looking through the files section and saw Universal Head did a rules summary but its very old. I wondered if you all consider some of these files to be "essential".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
instinctive
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Hi there, and welcome to this amazing game!

Here is the main issue I found with learning the game: the rules are scattered. Even in the original rule books, critical details, such as Ground/Flying attack capabilities, are not presented in the combat resolution section, but in an addenda section after. I found existing play aids useful but incomplete.

To address this, I created and uploaded a Gameplay and Combat Card Cheat Sheet.

This is my best effort at a comprehensive sequence of play, with all relevant abilities referenced, black-and-white printer-friendly, and on one double-sided sheet (which I laminated). I tried to minimize wall-o-text!

I also made combat card breakdowns for each race. A 50-card deck can be daunting to new players. By seeing how the cards interact, new players can better understand the unit and tech choices.

Please check it out and see if it helps. Of course, if you find anything missing or incorrect, please comment on the file page and I will fix it!

Once you have the rules down, for strategy I recommend MrWeasely's Primer (written for base game but still good for expansion), Guido's Guide, and Stefan Sasse's Guide.

I suggest you play Brood War immediately, but use the No Leadership Cards variant (page 12) for your first game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ill check out those files when i have read through the rules and do a solo play through. They should make more sense after going through the rule book. I really want to keep this game but judging by the comments there are problems that have not been fixed to a satisfactory level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play two player with a couple friends and learn that way. Fast, low-commitment games, then your first FFA or team game won't take 10 hours.

I would just start with Brood War and everything that goes with it. It doesn't add much complexity, comes with better balance, and Leadership cards are fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.