10 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » General

Subject: Green tiles easy path to victory rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
fugazi70 fugazi70
msg tools
mb
I played 4 games so far and noticing a trend.
It appearss that the green tiles are an easy path to victory.
You get 1 point when placed, provided you can raise oxygen
You get 1 point for every greenery you own at the end
You get 1 point if a greenery tile is next to your city
So it's potentially worth 3 points for a greenery tile.

Anyone else notice this trend?

(sp)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Green tiles eat path to victory
Yes, greeneries and map presence is a good strategy that will earn you lots of points. However, the following strategies ALSO do that;
1) Token cards like animals and microbes
2) Milestones and awards
3) Jovian tag multipliers
4) general VP cards.
5) Terraform rating
Of course, you'll probably mix some or all of these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torsten Oppermann
Germany
Kaiserslautern
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think green tiles can be a viable strategy, but more in the sense like the big money strategy in dominion.

the strategy is stronger the more inexperienced you are

What i love about this game, there seems no one trick pony. I had a nice 4 Blue Card Sinergy with microbes vs a player with almost no synergies in his cards, but i still lost by 7 Pts, because i neglected other areas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Murphy
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding lots of greenery also provides opportunities for opponents to build cities next to your placements. Sure you can get you third point from them provided you have prwbuilt you city, which unless you have the right card is pretty pricy. If I see someone focus on plant production, then I'll keep every city card and boost my money so that I can place my city right next to them and pick up easy points lowering their advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Walker
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mb
Greenery tiles are also the most expensive form of terraforming, and most difficult to place effectively, since they must be placed next to tiles you control if possible. While certainly valuable, it's difficult to build a massive forest.

My general feeling has been that, especially with lower player counts, awards and milestones are generally the game decider, as nothing else in the game except a few Jovian cards can score points in those quantities.

On the other hand, I've won a few games getting no awards because of strong tile placement and card play.

Edit: Spelling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Berry
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As folks have pointed out, it is a simple and obvious strategy. It is also a good one, regardless of experience. The trick isn’t so much the strategy, but the randomness of the cards you draw. If you draw cards that allow you to place greenery and/or cities, then do that. If you don’t, that will be a tougher strategy.

As noted, others can siphon off your greenery as well. Other options such as animals and microbes can work, but also suffer from card draw randomness and timing. Ie, they are better when drawn and played early in game vs later.

People pointed out the awards and bonuses, but note 2 of them are greenery and cities, which goes with this strategy. And then landlord.

I have not played >8 games yet but I have yet to see greenery not win. And usually not too close. I have not seen too many drafts however, and that may impact this (ie, due to 1 player getting great cards and another not). But drafts I have seen so far darn near double the time. I’d prefer draw 6 keep 4 as a faster approach.

Regardless, we should all play a bit more and experiment with new strategies (as the cards allow)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mecheng_analyst wrote:
it is a simple and obvious strategy. It is also a good one, regardless of experience.

Not sure we can tell yet how well more experienced players can counter greeneries, but I will say this: In a standard game without Corporate Era, greenery strategy seems a lot more viable. All cards that allow plant production or greenery placement are included in the standard project cards. Which means that with CE, increasing the card pool by about 50%, the deck gets diluted, making it harder to find the appropriate cards.

(That said tho, cards that remove plant resources or plant production are also - except 1 - all included in the standard cards.)

Quote:
I have not seen too many drafts however, and that may impact this (ie, due to 1 player getting great cards and another not). But drafts I have seen so far darn near double the time. I’d prefer draw 6 keep 4 as a faster approach.

Ah, but the beauty of the draft mechanic is not just that you find good cards for yourself, but also that you deny your opponent cards that he'll want. So it's as much a tool to disrupt strategies as obvious as this one.

Quote:
Regardless, we should all play a bit more and experiment with new strategies (as the cards allow)!

Agreed!

Also: Link to another discussion thread about the same topic: Unbalanced Game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Dueck
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plants and the greenery tiles are powerful. That is why the attack cards are mostly of the attack-the-plants variety.

Use the attack cards against the plants, that's what they are for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Codeguru Tomy
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Right, so don't let someone draft all the plant cards while you're focusing on your thing. As long as you swing the tree production to like one city surrounded by trees, it seems to be enough to make it less effective of a winning strategy. If they go full in on trees, you're still grabbing the oxygen point from them if you build at a good pace throughout the game. I think it's just an easy thing to run away with if you get your plant production up early because no one else is really considering it and they're focusing on their own strategy without looking at what you're doing. Plant production is essential to winning in my experience, but it doesn't have to be your main focus to sabotage someone who makes it their's while you're getting milestones and awards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a 4 player game last night where the fellow who won pretty much ignored plants and cities entirely. (I think he may have built one city on Mars and one or two greenery.)

It was a very strange game with very little actual terraforming going on for 3/4 of the game. By generation 9 the three parameters were slightly over half done, but the game still ended at generation 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.