GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 126.53

7,515 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
47.4% of Goal | left

Support:

Dan TheMan
msg tools
Hi all,

I just purchased the game with most expansions and I have a question about determining the level of monsters when you first start out.

I realize my character when playing the first adventure is restricted to only being able to select all things "basic" for their character deck, however, I noticed the monsters range from basic to elite. Do I only build the locations decks using the basic monsters or randomly select from the entire (B)ase set regardless of their level? Are all monsters / henchmen / villains able to be evaded or is that only when the text allows you to?

The same question would apply to building the location decks when randomly selecting items, allies, weapons, armor etc. Are those limited to only being 'basic' as well or whatever ends up there ends up there? From what I understand you can only use (current deck level - 1). So, an adventure location 2 would restrict my only being able to use level 1 weapons / armor etc - or something to that affect. I don't have game near me at the moment so I'm doing this from memory.

If higher than allowed items are allowed in the decks from the beginning, I'm assuming you just keep them until you are able to use them right?

Hopefully the questions made sense. If not, I'll try to explain more accurately when I get home and am able to look at the game.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Build locations decks with all those cards. Basic and Elite (apart from the original character deck construction you mentioned) are keywords that manage when in the campaign cards *leave* circulation, not when they enter.

(Cards with neither keyword always stay, there's also the veteran keyword which instead indicates that the card scales with the adventure number)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan TheMan
msg tools
Hi Jan and thank you for your reply. It definitely helped clear up some confusion the book wasn't able to.

Regarding the monsters / henchman / villain question about evading. Is that something that can always be done or only when the text says so? I've seen multiple answers to this and I'm not sure which is correct. From what the book states, it simply offers the ability to evade so I'm assuming one can at any given time regardless of what the card type is.

The reason I'm asking is because I was playing the first adventure (sorry, can't remember the name. It's before Burnt Offerings.) and in the Woods scenario I drew some type of ghost card (purple'ish looking elf if my memory serves). The card had text on it that stated if the attack used did not have the magic trait, the monster was considered undefeated. Well, since I was Harsk using only a slingshot there was no way I was going to defeat that particular monster but it had no option to evade. How is that handled? Am I able to evade or do I just battle knowing I'm going to die?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Severs
England
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you win, you take no damage & the monster gets shuffled Back into the location, if no magic attribute was used
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan TheMan
msg tools
Great, thank you for the replies. They were very much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cryotech wrote:
Hi Jan and thank you for your reply. It definitely helped clear up some confusion the book wasn't able to.

Regarding the monsters / henchman / villain question about evading. Is that something that can always be done or only when the text says so? I've seen multiple answers to this and I'm not sure which is correct. From what the book states, it simply offers the ability to evade so I'm assuming one can at any given time regardless of what the card type is.

The reason I'm asking is because I was playing the first adventure (sorry, can't remember the name. It's before Burnt Offerings.) and in the Woods scenario I drew some type of ghost card (purple'ish looking elf if my memory serves). The card had text on it that stated if the attack used did not have the magic trait, the monster was considered undefeated. Well, since I was Harsk using only a slingshot there was no way I was going to defeat that particular monster but it had no option to evade. How is that handled? Am I able to evade or do I just battle knowing I'm going to die?

You can only evade a card if you have a power that lets you do so. Merisiel, for example, has a power that lets her evade any card she encounters. There are some spells and items that also let you evade things. Sometimes they just let you evade monsters (Invisibility spell) sometimes just barriers (Potion of Ghostly Form). But one way or another, there has to be a power on a card that lets you evade.

And to add on to what you said at the Woods location, the Woods would actually banish that Ghost for you, since the location says "Undefeated monsters other than henchmen and villains are banished." So, the Ghost would be undefeated because you didn't have the Magic trait. You'd take no damage if you rolled higher than the difficulty, then you'd banish the Ghost because the location said to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert O'Hearne
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cryotech wrote:
The same question would apply to building the location decks when randomly selecting items, allies, weapons, armor etc. Are those limited to only being 'basic' as well or whatever ends up there ends up there? From what I understand you can only use (current deck level - 1). So, an adventure location 2 would restrict my only being able to use level 1 weapons / armor etc - or something to that affect.

I wasn't sure the answer to this was clear, so:

This is wrong, and you're making things too difficult.

When you play the B scenarios, start with the box as you bought it, with all the B cards. Add the C (character add-on deck) cards if you want to.

Build your locations with these cards (any B-C card), using the appropriate types (by this I mean, item/weapon/spell etc; ignore the Basic/Elite/other distinction).

When you move on to adventure 1, add the adventure 1 cards to your box. You can also add promos (P) cards at this point. Now build the location decks using any of these cards (B/C/1/P).

This is all spelled out in the rules.

I don't know where you heard this deck level - 1 idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Elcoderdude is right about the deck composition. Every type of boon (spells, weapons, blessings, etc) and bane (monsters, obstacles) has one of these symbols in the upper right hand corner.

B = Base set
C = Character add-on deck
P = Promo

When you're playing introductory scenarios from the Lost Coast you'd use the B and C cards. When you start Burnt Offerings, you're playing Adventure Deck 1 so you'd use the B, C, P, and 1 cards. When you start the Skinsaw Murders, it's Adventure Deck 2 so you'd use the B, C, P, 1, and 2 cards. So it's important to keep your game box organized so you can easily find the cards you're playing with (which are shuffled) and the cards you'll be using later (which are organized at least by Adventure Deck number). I insert a slip of paper as a divider between the two stacks, but other players use different methods.

Now the rules for the Adventure Path Rise of The Runelords has text that states when you start Adventure Deck 3, you remove Banes from the game with the BASIC trait and may remove Boons. When you start Adventure Deck 5 you also remove Banes and may remove Boons with the ELITE trait. The traits are listed on the left hand side of the card and consist of a series of words like MELEE, STRENGTH, SPELL, etc. One of those words will say "BASIC" or "ELITE". You should already be familiar with these words because the BASIC cards are what you use to build your character when starting the game.

I suspect the deck level - 1 idea is a corruption of the rules for introducing new characters when one of the heroes has died, those rules allow the character to start with Adventure Deck - 2 level cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan TheMan
msg tools
elcoderdude wrote:
Cryotech wrote:
The same question would apply to building the location decks when randomly selecting items, allies, weapons, armor etc. Are those limited to only being 'basic' as well or whatever ends up there ends up there? From what I understand you can only use (current deck level - 1). So, an adventure location 2 would restrict my only being able to use level 1 weapons / armor etc - or something to that affect.

I wasn't sure the answer to this was clear, so:

This is wrong, and you're making things too difficult.

When you play the B scenarios, start with the box as you bought it, with all the B cards. Add the C (character add-on deck) cards if you want to.

Build your locations with these cards (any B-C card), using the appropriate types (by this I mean, item/weapon/spell etc; ignore the Basic/Elite/other distinction).

When you move on to adventure 1, add the adventure 1 cards to your box. You can also add promos (P) cards at this point. Now build the location decks using any of these cards (B/C/1/P).

Thank you for replying. I understood what Jan meant but I appreciate the thorough explanation.

elcoderdude wrote:

This is all spelled out in the rules.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. The rules only touch on what set you'll be starting out with and briefly go over "C" and the range of adventure paths (1 - 6) with varying card types. It however does not thoroughly explain the levels of monsters, items, evading etc., and how they should be utilized in game which is what my question pertained to.

elcoderdude wrote:

I don't know where you heard this deck level - 1 idea.

I read the rules wrong. It's mentioned on page 14 and 19 and it's talking about bringing a new character into an already existing adventure path and between game sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan TheMan
msg tools
Autoduelist wrote:
Elcoderdude is right about the deck composition. Every type of boon (spells, weapons, blessings, etc) and bane (monsters, obstacles) has one of these symbols in the upper right hand corner.

B = Base set
C = Character add-on deck
P = Promo

When you're playing introductory scenarios from the Lost Coast you'd use the B and C cards. When you start Burnt Offerings, you're playing Adventure Deck 1 so you'd use the B, C, P, and 1 cards. When you start the Skinsaw Murders, it's Adventure Deck 2 so you'd use the B, C, P, 1, and 2 cards. So it's important to keep your game box organized so you can easily find the cards you're playing with (which are shuffled) and the cards you'll be using later (which are organized at least by Adventure Deck number). I insert a slip of paper as a divider between the two stacks, but other players use different methods.

Now the rules for the Adventure Path Rise of The Runelords has text that states when you start Adventure Deck 3, you remove Banes from the game with the BASIC trait and may remove Boons. When you start Adventure Deck 5 you also remove Banes and may remove Boons with the ELITE trait. The traits are listed on the left hand side of the card and consist of a series of words like MELEE, STRENGTH, SPELL, etc. One of those words will say "BASIC" or "ELITE". You should already be familiar with these words because the BASIC cards are what you use to build your character when starting the game.

I suspect the deck level - 1 idea is a corruption of the rules for introducing new characters when one of the heroes has died, those rules allow the character to start with Adventure Deck - 2 level cards.

Excellent reply and thank you!

Regarding the level - 1 idea, I actually read the rules wrong. It's mentioned on pages 14 and 19 and it's referring to something completely different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan TheMan
msg tools
269Hawkmoon wrote:
Cryotech wrote:

You can only evade a card if you have a power that lets you do so. Merisiel, for example, has a power that lets her evade any card she encounters. There are some spells and items that also let you evade things. Sometimes they just let you evade monsters (Invisibility spell) sometimes just barriers (Potion of Ghostly Form). But one way or another, there has to be a power on a card that lets you evade.

And to add on to what you said at the Woods location, the Woods would actually banish that Ghost for you, since the location says "Undefeated monsters other than henchmen and villains are banished." So, the Ghost would be defeated because you didn't have the Magic trait. You'd take no damage if you rolled higher than the difficulty, then you'd banish the Ghost because the location said to.

Thank you Andrew and I never realized that about the Woods until you said that. I must not have read the card as closely as I should have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cryotech wrote:

Also, play the PACG app a few times, since the app takes care of all the rules. PACG has a learning curve, and I find it not-so-intuitive after playing all these dungeoncrawl games and RPGs. Pretty interesting game design, certainly a new alternative to the usual crawls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.