Subject: Runner Defensive Options: Is Muresh Bodysuit... good? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nova Cat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
(Reposting this from my thread on Reddit, because Reddit moves so fast that casual chat posts like this get buried in minutes.)

I'm putting my Geist deck back together after several months of retirement, and I think I've made an observation about the current environment that I wanted people's opinions on.

Given the proclivity of Builder of Nations and Prisec, do you think Muresh Bodysuit + New Angeles City Hall is a sufficient defensive suite?
I'm already running 3x Fall Guy and Film Critic, so that makes NACH super good. I think it's good enough that I should reliably never get tagged. If I'm never tagged, I don't have to worry about Scorched Earth or Boom!.

So I was thinking about other sources of meat damage, and the big ones I came up with was Punitive Counterstrike, Prisec, and Builder of Nations. No one is running Punitive in my area, and between Film Critic and my good link, I shouldn't have much to worry about there anyways.

Builder of Nations and Prisec are both unusual for meat damage in that they don't require a trace or a tag to work, and they both only do 1 damage. This means, unless I'm missing something, Muresh Bodysuit is actually good in this deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias König
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The damage of Builder of Nations doesn't come unexpected and it's only one per turn at maximum. Prisec isn't a huge surprise, either. Hence, in my opinion, you can play around those cards without teching against them in your deck.

I too think, that Muresh Bodysuit is better than perceived, but there are more favorable options to go into your deck. Sports Hopper is great in Geist, for example. And it has a lot of utility when you are not up against meat damage-decks (Triggers both Geist and Tech Trader).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm already running 3x Sports Hopper, but I don't generally think of them as being defense cards, per se, although they can certainly be used that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you play around Builder of Nations without teching against it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TheNameWasTaken wrote:

I assume he means to draw more often, or prevent the corp from rezzing advanced ice, by various means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Epimer
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TheNameWasTaken wrote:

Don't run while holding a card you can't afford to lose. Don't make a run that will put you in flatline range after taking the meat damage. Don't make unnecessary runs. Leave enough clicks to draw back up, or draw before running in case there's a trap.

It's a really underwhelming ID ability because of all of the ways to play around it. It's not worth wasting deck slots on to tech against.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Imobersteg
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
Novacat wrote:
(Reposting this from my thread on Reddit, because Reddit moves so fast that casual chat posts like this get buried in minutes.)

I'm putting my Geist deck back together after several months of retirement, and I think I've made an observation about the current environment that I wanted people's opinions on.

Given the proclivity of Builder of Nations and Prisec, do you think Muresh Bodysuit + New Angeles City Hall is a sufficient defensive suite?
I'm already running 3x Fall Guy and Film Critic, so that makes NACH super good. I think it's good enough that I should reliably never get tagged. If I'm never tagged, I don't have to worry about Scorched Earth or Boom!.

I wouldn't tech against BoN as it's such a garbage ID (seriously, it's terrible).

The biggest worries are still going to be yellow kill decks.

Boom might bring back things like Gagarin so that HHN is almost always on, but Boom! can be played around a bit (and it can be trashed).

New Angeles might not be a bad idea if you are planning on going tag me. The usually strategy of 1 Plascrete or 2 Sports Hopper plus being rich is still the best defense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sports Hopper is a great defence against meat damage. It gets you 4 cards in Geist. Crash Space is also an option, if you're running Account Siphon.

If you're more worried about tags, then Forger and Decoy are an option.

Also, don't forget Employee Strike, since you can turn off IDs that do damage. With Same Old Thing you can get it back easily.

Spy Camera, Drive By, and Raymond Flint can help you not running into traps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron E.
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheNameWasTaken wrote:

Really, the same way you would play around 1000 cuts style Jinteki PE decks, you just accept you're going to get hit for the occasional one damage, and keep up your hand size.

As for the OP's question, I don't think muresh is a good call, especially if you're already running New Angeles. Prisec is good because it sticks a tag, and the meat damage is nice to bring the 4 card in hand runner down to 3. But if you prevent the tag then you basically just get pinged for one...pretty underwhelming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.