Subject: Some news on Season 2. NO SPOILERS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hey...
so I was looking like crazy about when season 2 might come and found some stuff... in case some don't know (I didn't find an thread here about it, sorry if already exist)

Season 2 will not require anything from Season 1 and you will not have to have played Season 1

(I admit that that one made me a bit sad, I was hoping that whatever mess we are doing in season 1 would move to season 2)

In half an hour I have a continuing call with [co-designer] Matt Leacock, because we’re working away on 'Season 2.' When we say 'let’s do one,' the time until it’s in your hands is about 24 months

24 month?!?!? cry so.... around February (based on that article date) 2018?!??!!? cry surprise

EDIT just in case, please don't discuss season 1 here, I just reach may thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt Leacock said on a podcast it isn't coming out this year, but will come out before 2018. So, 2017.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tikatoy wrote:
Matt Leacock said on a podcast it isn't coming out this year, but will come out before 2018. So, 2017.

may god of gaming please hear you.. thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine doing a second season is going to be harder than the first.
After all they can't use any of the tricks they used in season 1. For the experience to be similar, they'll have to come up with new twists and evolutions. For players who already played season one to be just as much surprised and amazed, the game will need to go in an entirely new direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Atkinson
United States
Grant
AL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Itai wrote:
After all they can't use any of the tricks they used in season 1. For the experience to be similar, they'll have to come up with new twists and evolutions. For players who already played season one to be just as much surprised and amazed, the game will need to go in an entirely new direction.

I'm thinking aliens... yeah. Trying to destroy the world with a genetically engineered disease... yeah...that's it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Itai wrote:

On the other hand, doing a second season is going to be easier than the first because they already have a ton of ideas that didn't fit into S1, they have already solved a lot of the production and design problems, and they have a much better idea of how things actually work out in actual play...

The question, then, is whether it's more "easier" or more "harder" or about the same...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
If Season Two is as different from Season One as I'm hoping, it will present new production and design problems.

There are a huge number of ways they could branch out in new directions. Unfortunately, specific suggestions would all be implicit spoilers for Season One!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim williamson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgatkinsn wrote:
Itai wrote:

I'm thinking aliens... yeah. Trying to destroy the world with a genetically engineered disease... yeah...that's it.

No, Cthulhu. That way they can tie it in with Pandemic Reign of Cthulhu.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fusilier
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chang_1910 wrote:
Season 2 will not require anything from Season 1 and you will not have to have played Season 1

(I admit that that one made me a bit sad, I was hoping that whatever mess we are doing in season 1 would move to season 2)

Careful how you parse that. "Will not require" does not equal "Will not use". It reads to me like he was confirming that you can buy and play Season 2 independent of Season 1, possibly in the same way that [BioWare video game series] didn't require you to have have played the previous episodes. If you had, however, it allowed you to import your characters (for example) for the next adventure.

I wouldn't conclude anything definitive, other than that Season 2 can be played stand-alone. It may not have to be played that way, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bafusilier wrote:
chang_1910 wrote:

Careful how you parse that. "Will not require" does not equal "Will not use". It reads to me like he was confirming that you can buy and play Season 2 independent of Season 1, possibly in the same way that [BioWare video game series] didn't require you to have have played the previous episodes. If you had, however, it allowed you to import your characters (for example) for the next adventure.

I wouldn't conclude anything definitive, other than that Season 2 can be played stand-alone. It may not have to be played that way, however.

oh you are right!! I have hoope again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Hayden
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
That article says 24 months from essentially the time they start working on it. Yes, the article is from February, but it also says they started working on Season 2 before Season 1 came out. Season 1 came out in October 2015. Based on all that, I'd say fall 2017 is a good guess for Season 2 release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Martell
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
My biggest hope for Season 2 is that it uses some new cities (not many, just a small handful) and wipes a couple of the old ones off the map, implying that they were essentially wiped out in season 1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugen Bacic
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've understood 2017 as when it'll come out. And my take on Season 2 is that it not requiring Season 1 means that it will not use any outcome from Season 1 simply because it would be impossible to blend in all the possible variations in board state into Season 2.

I would think they will take some general aspect of what the outcome (i.e., board state, character states, etc.) may well be in a "typical game" of Season 1 and that will be reflected in starting up Season 2. So it won't align perfectly with where any given group ended but will have enough of the flavour of what remains once you're done for you to get right into it.

I'm looking forward to the game; I hope it's at least 75% of Season 1's goodness. It remains one of my favourite games and I've run through it nearly twice now -- once as a 4 player and just finishing off a 5-player version which is working out fine so far, if not a tad harder which is fine as we're in it for the adventure not to be the Best Damn Pandemic Players Ever!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
In a similar previous discussion someone (I forget who) suggested that Season Two might start with a funding level based on how you fared in Season One, giving a default for people who didn't play it.

Something like that could make complete sense: just use Season One to calibrate the difficulty of Season Two a little.

Anything more extensive starts to get problematic, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Vasel said in a Q&A that it's scheduled to be released for Gen Con 2017.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaap K
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tikatoy wrote:
Tom Vasel said in a Q&A that it's scheduled to be released for Gen Con 2017.

And I expect a European release on Essen 2017.
(October 26, 2017)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.