Subject: Question on the diver swimming through sunken tiles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I know that a diver can swim through adjacent sunken tiles, but do they have to be in a straight line?

-------X
-
-
-
X

For example, look at the diagram. The x's represent un-sunken tiles while the dashes represent sunken tiles. From the bottom X, would the diver be allowed to swim upwards and then to the right, even though they're not diagonal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There are no restrictions for the diver to swim in a straight line. If a tile can be reached by swimming, the diver can go there in one move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Van Vlaenderen
Belgium
Lissewege
Belgie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Would this also mean he can just swim around the island to reach the place he wants?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim S
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VanVlaenderenP wrote:
Would this also mean he can just swim around the island to reach the place he wants?

I think he can only swim through places that once had a tile, though with some of the custom layouts, like the two islands one, he should be able to swim through the empty spaces. I don't have the app, so I wonder how they handle it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, he can only swim thru places where a tile has flooded or it already sank, but not where there was never a tile to begin with, so no swimming "around the island" or right through a space that was there from the start.

If you need a thematic explanation for that, you can say there are sharks or a storm around the island and it would be suicidal to swim over there.

Very important for some of the variant layouts that have holes in them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Taber
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my RPG blog at http://www.usandacat.com/thelair!
badge
Work hard, play hard!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if others do this but...the Diver is so weak in my groups opinion that we allow him to swim across holes in the middle of boards layouts just not around the edges. It actually simplifies the game play and adds a teeny bit more to his power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We've always played that the diver must move in a straight line, since diagonal movement is forbidden, and changing directions while moving can essentially duplicate a diagonal move.

We have enjoyed using my Rotating Roles variant, in which the diver becomes a much more useful option (and nobody gets stuck playing that role for the whole game).
Early in the game it's useful for leaving a powerful role for the next player without feeling like you're wasting anything. Near the end it can often be the critical role needed to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mearendil wrote:
Yes, he can only swim thru places where a tile has flooded or it already sank, but not where there was never a tile to begin with, so no swimming "around the island" or right through a space that was there from the start.
Agreed.

mearendil wrote:
If you need a thematic explanation for that, you can say there are sharks or a storm around the island and it would be suicidal to swim over there.
Or a lava caudron if you're playing Matt's Volcano Island. Or perhaps a impassable kelp forest. Maybe seamonsters?

mearendil wrote:
Very important for some of the variant layouts that have holes in them.
You may want to place a poker chip in these holes at the beginning of the game to mark them as impassable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the rules... "The Diver may move through one or more adjacent missing and/or flooded tiles for 1 action." Which I assume means he can't swim diagonally (since diagonal is not adjacent). This is further reinforced when a tile is flooded and you're standing on it "Exceptions: The Diver may swim to the nearest tile. The Explorer may swim diagonally. The Pilot may fly to any tile." Since the explorer can swim diagonally, this means the diver cant.

So, you can't go diagonally...in one action. But could you change direction using a second action? This would require that you end/start an action on a blank part of the map, which I'm not sure that you can. If you can, you still can't really go 'around the map', you could leave the coast, move along it, and come back to the same side of the map, with three actions.

And always, house rules are there for all the above suggestions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Leacock
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
designer
mb
MercifulBiscuit wrote:
There are no restrictions for the diver to swim in a straight line. If a tile can be reached by swimming, the diver can go there in one move.

MercifulBiscuit is correct.

Also, the Diver can move through places where a tile *used* to be, but may not move through the open ocean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, I guess that answers the question.
Thanks for the clarification Matt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Van Vlaenderen
Belgium
Lissewege
Belgie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mleacock wrote:
MercifulBiscuit wrote:

MercifulBiscuit is correct.

Also, the Diver can move through places where a tile *used* to be, but may not move through the open ocean.

Thanks, then this is how I've been playing it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.