Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Stokes
United States
North Augusta
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Duck Season!
badge
I also believe that you met the King of the Forest, Mei, and meeting him is a sign of good luck.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played our first game and when it was all done I was wondering. What was the purpose of putting the palaces and palm trees on the board. Is there some element that we haven't encounted that would require the wooden pieces over the picture that is already on the board? Is it just for aesthetics or does it provide an actual game play element?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Pasquinelli
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe +3/5 coins?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Brown
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A tile can receive more than one palm tree or palace during game play. Victory points are scored per tree and per palace. So having wooden pieces allow you to place more than one on a tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
At the end of the game, you score VPs for Palaces and Palms on the tiles you control.

Scoring VPs immediately when you Place a Palace or a Palm wouldn't work since you can place them without controlling the tile and since they are limited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Stokes
United States
North Augusta
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Duck Season!
badge
I also believe that you met the King of the Forest, Mei, and meeting him is a sign of good luck.
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowjump wrote:
A tile can receive more than one palm tree or palace during game play. Victory points are scored per tree and per palace. So having wooden pieces allow you to place more than one on a tile.

How would a tile get more than one tree/palace?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Stokes
United States
North Augusta
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Duck Season!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nhjelmberg wrote:
At the end of the game, you score VPs for Palaces and Palms on the tiles you control.

Scoring VPs immediately when you Place a Palace or a Palm wouldn't work since you can place them without controlling the tile and since they are limited.

I know that they score points at the end of the game. But why don't you just look at a tile and see the picture of the palm and get three points, Is the wooden piece needed over the picture on the tile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Stokes
United States
North Augusta
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Duck Season!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I missed a rule somewhere. Does the Action on the tile happen when ever you end your turn there, or only when you claim the tile with your camel do you get the action on it? *Pulls up the rules PDF*

There it is:
"Once your Meeples’ Tribe actions are over,
perform the Action for the Tile your last Meeple
ended on, regardless of whether you then took
control of that Tile or not."

We played that you only get the action when you take control of it, not every time. That might change stuff. I see now how you can place more stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Stokes
United States
North Augusta
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Duck Season!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I get for believing someone at game night teaching us the rules for our first game. I'll have to correct them next time I see them

Edit: Looks like they had several things incorrect.

-They just kept track of the blue meeples' as VP's for end of game scoring, instead of giving coins when the action happened.
-They also replenished the resource/djinn row when ever one was taken and not only during the clean-up phase.

Live and learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mls5stokes wrote:
I think I missed a rule somewhere. Does the Action on the tile happen when ever you end your turn there, or only when you claim the tile with your camel do you get the action on it? *Pulls up the rules PDF*

There it is:

We played that you only get the action when you take control of it, not every time. That might change stuff. I see now how you can place more stuff.

It will change it drastically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desiree Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
mls5stokes wrote:

There it is:

It will change it drastically.

that's an understatement. you guys were practically playing a different game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Ginn
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll be playing a completely new game when you try again with the correct rules. There is significant strategy in deciding which tile to finish your move, regardless of whether you gain control of it or not, as the action the tile allows is key. I've won several games by trying to stack 4 or 5 palaces on a single space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yikes! That must have been an interesting game of Five Tribes. I think your teacher needed to do a better rules read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Braun
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game you played is called "A Simple Machine," because you got screwed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Jurney
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmb
Did you guys not have the player aid cards? Whenever I teach the game I tell them to look at that and follow it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Marshall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jurney06 wrote:
Did you guys not have the player aid cards? Whenever I teach the game I tell them to look at that and follow it!

Except for the Vazeers (yellow meeples). At least in the 1st edition, the player aid is just plain wrong on scoring them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ragnar Iceblood
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a game this weekend, where one player had the Djinn which let him place a palace. At the point he got it, he still had 4 white meeples.

He focused on getting more palaces each turn, and more white meeples, getting him 6 palaces on a tile he owned.

Turned out he ended last on scoring!

Player A, me, focused on getting high scoring tiles (I had all 8 camels out and ended the game) with highest number of yellow meeples as well.
Player B, focused on the blue meeples, had a whooping 94 coins at game end.
Player C, did a little bit of everything, but since she got 2nd in yellow meeples, she beat player D above just barely.
Player D, focused on green meeples, and that one tile with palaces. He was a bit unlucky with green cards tough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Forby
msg tools
In case it wasn't stated:

For turn: You first do the Meeple color action.
THEN you do the tile action.

If the Tile action is either place a Palm or Place a Palace you take one of them from the store and place it.

At the end of the game if you have claimed a tile with Palms or Palaces each Palm is worth 3 points and each Palace is worth 5 points BUT only if you own the tile.

IF you are out of Palms or Palaces, you simply ignore placing them. There are a finite amount but it seems to be high enough not to matter too much.

It can turn a 6 point tile into 26 points if there are 4 palaces on it.

And with the Genie Powers you may be able to count the points for them on the tile as a lot more or make a placement on a different tile, ect.

So, Yes they are very important and change the balance a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.