Subject: Playing Dominion over Skype rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Everly

Tuxedo Park
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My marriage recently ended. One of the things I always enjoyed doing is playing Dominion with her, she was a very skilled player. So now I have all of the expansions (including Empires) and do not get to play often.

I wanted to ask the forum if anyone would be interested in playing Dominion over the internet via Skype or other communication platforms. Basically we each set up the identical card set and then when the other player buys a card you just take it from your supply and set it aside to indicate is has been removed from the supply. That way each side will be looking at the identical supply piles and can see how many are left in each. I did this with a friend recently and it worked very well.

If anyone is interested feel free to reply here in the thread or PM me to exchange Skype ID or if you use something different like Google Hangouts we can see if we can connect.

If there is enough interest perhaps we can start forming a group and we can schedule games and specific nights to play. No reason why this method couldn't be used with 4 or 5 people as long as everyone has all of the cards we are playing with and can set up the supply pile on their end.

Hoping to hear from some members.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Pawlak
Poland
near Poznań
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That would fail if you play with Knights - because you would have to setup partially hidden pile the same, and thus you will know the order of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everly

Tuxedo Park
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is true, Knight would be a challenge. My recommendation for that would be for one of the players to be designated at the Master Supply. Then when Knights is in play whatever card is next in the Master's supply will be what is used and everyone else will pull that card out.

It's solvable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Boyle
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More importantly, very sorry to hear about your marriage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everly

Tuxedo Park
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D Bo wrote:
More importantly, very sorry to hear about your marriage.

Thank you Dan. It was a complete blindside. Over 21 years and the whole time I thought she was happy, but now I've learned she almost left several times before. I always said I didn't deserve her so the 21 years I had with her was more than I should have ever gotten. But I want her to be happy and I want to be happy, so it will work out in time but it is a challenge right now.

Anyway, hoping to find some other players that would like to give this a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Actually, I was thinking about this a while ago. As you said, Knights and Ruins would be easily handled by declaring one game set as the master. When a card is face up on the stack, all other sets simply search their stacks and put the same card face up.

I think I'd be willing to give this a shot.

You know what's funny, I just looked up your location and you're only a bit over an hour away from me....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not play the digital version, available on PC, tablets and phones? That seems like a lot less hassle to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TIM0THY wrote:
Why not play the digital version, available on PC, tablets and phones? That seems like a lot less hassle to me.

It's also a lot less social, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LastFootnote wrote:
TIM0THY wrote:

Fair enough. But I've gotta think that playing with strangers over Skype isn't really going to give you the same kind of social experience as playing face-to-face with friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TIM0THY wrote:
LastFootnote wrote:
TIM0THY wrote:

Fair enough. But I've gotta think that playing with strangers over Skype isn't really going to give you the same kind of social experience as playing face-to-face with friends.

It's almost certainly way better than playing Dominion Online, though. From a social standpoint, I mean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No reason you can't play online AND Skype.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everly

Tuxedo Park
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think playing thru Skype with a person you could see and talk to would be more enjoyable than the online version. Plus you could add each other and arrange to play again.

Sounds like there a few people that would like to give this a try. PM me your Skype ID and let's see if we can try to arrange a time to set up a game,

Mine is scott.everly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.