Thief's Market» Forums » Rules

Subject: Replacing purchased cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Judge Fredd
msg tools
mb
The rulebook states the following :
When the A deck runs out of cards and there are still cards that need to be refilled, immediately add 5 cards from the B deck to the tableau in a row next to the B deck. If the B deck does not have enough cards, add 5 cards from the C deck in a row next to it. If the C deck does not have enough to replenish the C cards that were bought, the game is over.

So, when, let's say, at the end of the round, you need to add 4 cards from the A deck, and there are only 3 cards left, do you, in addition to adding 5 cards from the B deck, draw the 3 cards left in the A deck to add to the tableau next to the (now depleted) A deck?
In this case, this would result in having 9 cards in the market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's exactly how we've been playing it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is correct. I think it states this in the rules as well...

"Please note that when you start dealing cards from a new deck, the cards from the prior deck still remain in the Market - thus it is possible to have more than 5 cards in the Market at a time. If you have started on a new deck and a card from an older deck is purchased, that card is not replaced"

I think this is the next sentence+ after what you quoted above
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judge Fredd
msg tools
mb
Ok, thank you for the clarification.

But if you take my example, and you do not turn over the 3 leftover cards from deck A, you still have more than 5 cards in the market. The 5 cards from deck B, and the one leftover from deck A.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Judge Fredd wrote:
Ok, thank you for the clarification.

But if you take my example, and you do not turn over the 3 leftover cards from deck A, you still have more than 5 cards in the market. The 5 cards from deck B, and the one leftover from deck A.

This example can't happen though. You will always empty a previous deck before drawing from a new deck.

If you have 1 A card on the table and only 3 left in the deck, you must draw the last 3 A cards. Then, as you only have 4 cards on the table, you start with the next deck (B), and draw a full row (5 cards) of that deck.

It would be possible (but rare) to have 13 cards on the table to buy from, 4 As, 4 Bs, 5 Cs.

---

Also keep in mind that if you can't refill deck C, game ends then and there. You do not get another purchase round for these last cards added. (I believe this is how it works, one would think you'd get a final round to buy, but rules say no)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judge Fredd
msg tools
mb
Ok, thanks again! It's crystal clear now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.