Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone hates to pass, but sometimes you have no choice. I've won and lost games, filled my board, ended with 75 buttons in hand, whatever, but I've never gone a whole game without passing. The best you can do is minimize the number of time spaces you pass on.

Occasionally you know your opponent will have to pass on the next turn. You can see that they have no buttons. This is an opportunity for you! Get as close as you can to the time space they are on then purchase the longest time tile you can afford. If you can force them to pass for 5 or 6 or 7 time spaces it can be devastating in the long run. You need to average about 3.5 buttons per time space to win. If five are spent getting one button each then the average buttons needed for the remaining spaces goes up to about 3.75.

Of course your opponent can do to you as well. You need to keep an eye on how much time your opponent can make you waste before you go all in on a purchase. If they're going to be able to force you to pass for a bunch of time spaces you should consider taking a cheaper tile or making a shorter pass now to avoid a longer one in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really need to start "having" a strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Passed before, even when I could buy a tile, because there was one I either wanted more or that the other player really needed. All in hopes they would buy one and leave me able to buy the one I wanted or to bypass their wanted tile. Passing isn't always a bad thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FunkyBlue wrote:
Passing isn't always a bad thing.

If you're passing to move 5+ spaces, it's always a bad thing. I can't think of a situation in which you would be better off giving away that much time if you could avoid it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pilight wrote:
FunkyBlue wrote:

If you're passing to move 5+ spaces, it's always a bad thing. I can't think of a situation in which you would be better off giving away that much time if you could avoid it.

It's rare, but I have had a couple. It just depends on the situation and how the game plays out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pilight wrote:
FunkyBlue wrote:

Most of the situations I can easily think of are late game. A five-square block is worth (10-cost+income buttons) to your opponent. If I take 6 points for jumping 6, blocking my opponent from a piece that they would be able to access 4-6 steps away on the track that would be a perfect (or an only) fit, forcing THEM to take an income turn (with some other bits thrown in: am I in the lead, is this a stalling tactic at best, and so on), then it's absolutely a good idea.

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Dearden
msg tools
Yes, for example if your opponent buys the L piece which costs 4 buttons and 6 time and you are bankrupt. The 4-6 piece really isn't all that great and after you pass you are now set up to buy lots of amazing pieces. There are some hard and fast rules in this game but there are always subtleties. Always plan ahead and minmax your moves.

FunkyBlue wrote:
pilight wrote:
FunkyBlue wrote:

It's rare, but I have had a couple. It just depends on the situation and how the game plays out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.