Subject: The polls continue to close - why? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Dear_Leader [+] AltRighty_Then! [+] Pepe! [+] [View All]
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
According to fivethirtyeight, what looked briefly like an easy win for Hillary is beginning to look like a tighter and tighter race.

So what explains this trend? Trump looked terrible after his convention. Hillary responded by trying to capitalize on that weakness (maybe?) and attack the "alt right".

I haven't seen explanations for the trend, but I really think this kind of behavior is probably why her numbers are slipping. Hillary is never less appealing to voters then when she's on the attack, and her attacks have been strange. Saying "bad people support you" is not, in my opinion, a reason not to vote for a person.

Yes, she has been focusing on Trump's own associations with the "alt right" but by focusing on Trump supporters really nobody knows or cares about not Trump himself and the insane shit he says, I think she makes herself less and less appealing - she looks paranoid and irrationally accusatory.

Additionally, I think her intent is to say "look at these really bad people, you don't want to be associated with THEM do you?" but I think the message a lot of people get is "if you don't like me, I'm going to accuse you of being a racist islamaphobe". This IMO drives voters away from her.

The bottom line here is IMO attacking the "enemy voter" is a huge, huge mistake and I don't see why she keeps making it.

I think the other things here are:

1. She is really uncharismatic as I've said from the start.
2. The national mood is pro-change and she is not offering any kind of change. Trump is offering insane and incoherent change, but it is change. She's offering to take her turn as president.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
The American electorate has the attention span of a squirrel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
I think it's more a matter of:

1. More revelations from the e-mail server scandal, particularly involving the Clinton Foundation

2. The horrendous manner in which her campaign staff handled the "fainting" incident at NYC's 9/11 memorial, dribbling out information on her health, which continues the idea that Clinton is secretive as opposed to being transparent

3. Like the GOP, the Democrats put forth their worst possible candidate. Sanders would be wiping the floor with Trump right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
I think it's more a matter of:

1. More revelations from the e-mail server scandal, particularly involving the Clinton Foundation

2. The horrendous manner in which her campaign staff handled the "fainting" incident at NYC's 9/11 memorial, dribbling out information on her health, which continues the idea that Clinton is secretive as opposed to being transparent

3. Like the GOP, the Democrats put forth their worst possible candidate. Sanders would be wiping the floor with Trump right now.
I suspect it is mainly the storm in a tea cup over 2.

I think most people are frankly bored with 1 and take no real notice.

There is also the fact that Trump is at least now making some effort to be "just another candidate".

I am not sure however how much staying power any of these have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
rylfrazier wrote:
So what explains this trend?
When she is able to put herself, her actual self, before the people, the electorate is fine with her. But in between appearances she lets the opposition control the narrative, which works on the rubes, until she pops up again in a debate or a public appearance where people can see she does not have actually have scales, slit-eyes, and a forked tail, she's just another Democratic politician that people seem to be okay with, then her poll numbers go up.

Plus, it's hard to attack an asshole who doesn't care that he's an asshole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:
So what explains this trend?
When she is able to put herself, her actual self, before the people, the electorate is fine with her. But in between appearances she lets the opposition control the narrative, which works on the rubes, until she pops up again in a debate or a public appearance where people can see she does not have actually have scales, slit-eyes, and a forked tail, she's just another Democratic politician that people seem to be okay with, then her poll numbers go up.

Plus, it's hard to attack an asshole who doesn't care that he's an asshole.

Her actual self calls a large amount of the country deplorable racists... Actually I can see how YOU ALL would think the electorate is fine with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People are sick of the left's political correct/social justice warrior/safe space bullshit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
People are sick of the left's political correct/social justice warrior/safe space bullshit.
Is this the safe space bullshit that involves punching pensioners or the other kind?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
People are sick and tired of being pissed off, sick and tired about various butt-hurts both real and mostly imaginary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you people that are baffled by the way the polls are closing considered that Hillary might be as bad as some people are telling you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Have you people that are baffled by the way the polls are closing considered that Hillary might be as bad as some people are telling you?
Some of us have been saying she is from the start, we just do not think she is as bad as Trump.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do think the "people are sick and tired of x" vote is basically what I've been saying - this is a "change" election.

Yes, it's probably not reasonable to think a "change" from a more pro-business culture to a even more pro business culture will have any positives for the workers in those businesses, but it's an idea. To the worker who feels like he or she didn't participate much in the recovery and doesn't feel rich or successful, change sounds good.

IMO, Obama has done a lot for the working person, but it probably doesn't feel like a lot to those who are still struggling, and the idea that more could be done by another person is attractive.

In this case the other person is so obviously not a good candidate, but the default position for a lot of voters has got to be "lets try something else" and that was Bernie, not Hillary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:

I guess it depends on who you mean by "some people." I have been saying Hillary is a weak candidate who I don't care for since this started, so I agree with myself on that subject.

People who say she's a murderer and will grab all yo guns, no, I don't agree with those people because they're stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

I guess it depends on who you mean by "some people." I have been saying Hillary is a weak candidate who I don't care for since this started, so I agree with myself on that subject.

People who say she's a murderer and will grab all yo guns, no, I don't agree with those people because they're stupid.

So Hillary Clinton would not go after stricter gun control?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a portion of the narrowing is due to spin and questions asked. The horse race is king.

I think there's been somewhat of a lull in Trump's Trumpishness, while at the same time Clinton has been backbirnering a lot.

I dxpect the debates to be interesting.

I don't think calling out the horrible of Trump's supporters is bad. People do need to question exactly who they are climbing into bed with and which votes a candidate is actively seeking. It matters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
Some of us have been saying she is from the start, we just do not think she is as bad as Trump.

Exactly we are faced with two bad choices. The thing is DJT is demonstrably unfit to hold the office. HRC although capable of holding the office should have just kept her ego in check, not run, and moved on. Most likely neither will accomplish much as POTUS.

We have to play with the hand that was dealt. If you say something about Johnson you're a retard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Clinton should have released all the e-mails and her full health report 2 years ago.

However bad of a hit she would take, people would be over it by now. Look at all the crazy, repugnant things Trump has done months and weeks ago? They fade from the collective conscience really fast, no matter how bad.

Her lack of transparency is killing her as things leak out on a week to week basis. She should probably still just dump everything now, take a 5% hit in the polls, then depend on the debates to re-frame things. Only then can she truly claim Trump is the one being shady.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

Exactly we are faced with two bad choices. The thing is DJT is demonstrably unfit to hold the office. HRC although capable of holding the office should have just kept her ego in check, not run, and moved on. Most likely neither will accomplish much as POTUS.

We have to play with the hand that was dealt. If you say something about Johnson you're a retard.

We have evidence of Hillary doing things that actually do make her unfit for office, and you all ignore it.
Trump is more of, well, he will just lose his mind and shoot nukes at everyone if they insult his hair, and that is what you all cling to.
Gawd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
I think a portion of the narrowing is due to spin and questions asked. The horse race is king.

I think there's been somewhat of a lull in Trump's Trumpishness, while at the same time Clinton has been backbirnering a lot.

I dxpect the debates to be interesting.

I don't think calling out the horrible of Trump's supporters is bad. People do need to question exactly who they are climbing into bed with and which votes a candidate is actively seeking. It matters.

The "left wing" media wants a horse race and not a blow out. They've given Trump a pass on things other candidates would have been pilloried for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

We have evidence of Hillary doing things that actually do make her unfit for office, and you all ignore it.
Trump is more of, well, he will just lose his mind and shoot nukes at everyone if they insult his hair, and that is what you all cling to.
Gawd.

There are plenty of thing that DJT has done that prove he's "actually" unfit for office. So, what do we do now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

Gawd.
NO, we do not see how what Clinton did was any different form what her predecessors (or even Trump) has or would do.

Clinton hides shit Trump hides shit, Clinton take foreign money Trump take foreign money, Clinton lies, Trump lies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fivethirtyeight said that the polls are transitioning from possible voters to actual likely voters as we near the elections. Republicans are more likely to actually vote.

Democrats need to get the vote out.

Also, trump is a really incredible liar. And for some reason he's not being called on it. He can literally say whatever he needs to say to get elected even if it makes no sense, directly contradicts what he said in the primaries, or is clearly a lie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

Gawd.

There are plenty of thing that DJT has done that prove he's "actually" unfit for office. So, what do we do now?

Say they are both unfit and vote for whoever the fuck you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
So Hillary Clinton would not go after stricter gun control?
There is a difference between shoring up purchasing laws to weed out dangerous people and "grabbing all the guns". There are a group of hysterics who equate one with the other and disqualify themselves from intelligent conversation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
Fivethirtyeight said that the polls are transitioning from possible voters to actual likely voters as we near the elections. Republicans are more likely to actually vote.

Democrats need to get the vote out.

The American voters ability to vote against their own best interests continues to amaze me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.