Subject: Interrupt question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcel S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

yesterday, we played Scenario 3 for the first time and this question came up. In the Picture you can see, that I tried to explain the situation. Hollister activates and moves into LOS of Vasquez, who interrupts her and moves inside the building. Because of Vasquez' movement, Nick Bolter gains LOS to Hollister. Can he now interrupt Hollister as well? Or does Hollister have to move further to trigger a new possibility for a duel?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humulus Lupulus
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see anything in the rules for Dueling for Interruption that would prevent Bolter from also dueling to interrupt Hollister when she becomes in his LOS in your example. So I say yes, he can attempt to interrupt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CycyX
France
Magny en Vexin
Val d'Oise
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree: second interruption is valid.

Actually, no, the second interruption is no valid: Hollister hasn't entered Bolter's LOS due to its activation, nor its movement...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Con Sequence
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I checked the rules of play which define interruption starting on page 15. And I would say they cover your case.

1. An activated enemy Character (Hollister) enters Bolter's LoS. The example in the rules states that 'entering' is also to be meant in the passive way - e. g.
Quote:
when a door is opened or a wall is broken
- in your case Vasquez being the door/wall.

2. BUT - there is an Interruption Constraint further down in the rules:
Quote:
It is forbidden to ask for a Duel while another Interrupting Character is already executing orders. There can only be one Interruption under way at any given time.

-> Only one Character can Interrupt at a time.

3. And there is another Interruption Constraint saying:
Quote:
The non-Active player can ask for a Duel multiple times in a single Activation round as long as each Duel is triggered at a different time in the round by one of the above conditions.

So I conclude that Bolter does not get the possibility to interrupt Hollister, because he can nor interrupt during Vasquez' interruption (due to the first constraint) neither can he interrupt afterwards because Hollister will already be in his LoS (after Vasquez ended her interruption) and he just missed the point where she entered his LoS for the first time (since this was during another interruption). Bolter could technically interrupt after Vasquez' interruption if there was one of the conditions met at this precise moment triggering the possibility for Dueling for Initiative - but that's just not the case.

I would say Bolter may only interrupt if Hollister went four steps towards him, stepping on an adjacent square.

But there are different opinions and the rules may not be as clear here as they usually are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humulus Lupulus
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seqcon, that's a fair interpretation as well, and I certainly see your point about Vasquez' interrupt not being complete at the time Hollister enters Bolter's LOS. However, I wonder if the "only one interruption under way at a given time" restriction just means you have to resolve the interruptions one at a time--so it's not possible to gang up on another activating player as an interrupt (only a combine).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Con Sequence
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hm, I understand why you're wondering.
Knowing about the following distinct rule (for a similar case) I would play it as I mentioned above anyway.

Quote:
Only one Character can Interrupt at a time. If two Characters or more meet the necessary conditions to ask for a Duel at the same moment, the non-Active player MUST identify which Character is doing the Interrupting before the Duel can start.

I cannot find any rule that argues for the possibilty of two interruptions at the same time or directly one after another. The rules just try to avoid it, don't they?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Van den Broeck
Belgium
Zwijndrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It becomes way too complicated if you allow interuption upon interuption.

So, keep it simple: the non active player can interupt an action of the active player and during that interuption, you cannot interupt again. You have to finish the action of the non active player, before another interuption can take place.

P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
Giant Fire Breathing Robot
badge
gfbrobot.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Phyriphiry wrote:
It becomes way too complicated if you allow interuption upon interuption.

I don't have the rules in front of me, but I'm almost positive that they say that the interrupting character cannot be further interrupted. They get to complete their move.

I know that's not exactly the situation going on here, but I think it would be problematic to chain interrupts as described above. Especially since Hollister enters Bolter's LOS because of Vasquez's movement, and not because of Hollister's movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humulus Lupulus
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I agree completely. Keep it simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Earth Reborn Rulebook (pg 15);

"✗ It is forbidden to ask for a Duel while another Interrupting
Character
is already executing orders. There can
only be one Interruption under way at any given time."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Paquette
Germany
Bad Kreuznach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi.
Thought I'd also chime in since I was the NORAD player in that game.
First of all thanks for all your replies. It all makes sense now .

Just for the record, we played it that Bolter could NOT interrupt. Good to see that we played it correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, thanks to all of you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lear
United Kingdom
Lewes
Sussex
flag msg tools
With skill his story will unfold
mbmbmb
I have a feeling that most of the replies misunderstand a nuance of the question. The issue is not about whether an interrupting character can be interrupted (they can't), but whether a second interruption (which is legit) can be triggered immediately after the first interruption, as a result of the interrupting character moving. I think the answer is technically no, but it's one of those cases where I don't think rule lawyering is necessarily more important than going with what feels right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humulus Lupulus
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bbhalla wrote:
Earth Reborn Rulebook (pg 15);

"✗ It is forbidden to ask for a Duel while another Interrupting
Character
is already executing orders. There can
only be one Interruption under way at any given time."

seqcon already covered this above:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/23721980#23721980

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.