United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want updates on when new TGIF polls are posted, or want to look at the results of past polls go to The TGIF Poll Subscription Thread.

We also have a microbadge available for those who enjoy the polls mb.

Poll: The 372nd TGIF Poll
2. Is there one or more publisher(s) that you watch closely for all new releases because you are such a fan of their games?
Absolutely
Somewhat
Not at all
3. Is there one or more publisher(s) whose games you will actively avoid?
Absolutely
Somewhat
Not at all
      325 answers
Poll created by Blott

4. Looking at your Top 10 (or just a handful of your favorite games if you don't have a Top 10) what publisher was responsible for the majority of them?

Any discussion is encouraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
You got drama all over my meeples!
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
4. Looking at your Top 10 (or just a handful of your favorite games if you don't have a Top 10) what publisher was responsible for the majority of them?

Z-Man!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I follow CMoN and Formal Ferret.

Formal Ferret is the only one though where I'll pretty much insta-buy the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally don't pay attention to the identiity of the publisher. Most of my game purchases are games I have already played and enjoyed.

Of my top 10, two publishers (I had to look them up), appear twice: GMT nd Asmodee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmb
Okay, I've been a habitual user of BGG for over 10 years and have a decent sized collection. I was able to think of a game, off the top of my head, for all of the publishers except Stonemeier (which now I think about it, made Stonehedge, right?).

I do have favorite companies and keep an eye out for games from them. These are two I really watch for, for example:

Argentum Verlag
Hans im Glück Verlags-GmbH

To answer #4, I'm going to say, alea. I collect their games and Puerto Rico is, depending on the day, my favorite game. Macao is in my top 10. Fifth Avenue and In the Year of the Dragon are 9's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmb
Great question this week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4.) Fantasy Flight Games (I'm a minion of theirs)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Vaccari
Italy
Nonantola (Mo)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No doubt, best publisher ever is:

Avalon Hill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - Most of these are simple for me, but before I went on this poll-making journey I never would have been able to name a Stonemaier game. Never played any, and never really had interest in any of their games.

2 - I absolutely follow whatever comes from Days of Wonder. While they made a few notable games that I have not added to my collection, their commitment to superb component quality and solid game design rarely lets me down. I also am fully aware of everything that comes out of North Star, and try to play/own most of their stuff.

3 - I said "Somewhat" because I've heard enough negativity about components and rules that I would not enjoy from GMT so I tend to avoid their stuff (not hard since the majority of their games are Wargames anyways, and I don't like Wargames.) Also, I would avoid any publisher who releases things exclusively through Kickstarter or some other crowdfunding, since I'm not interested in participating in one of those websites.

4 - Well, based on the editions I own, it's actually a tie. My current Top 10 is pretty diverse with 8 different publishers, but the 2 publishers that have printed two different games in my Top 10 are:
Days of Wonder (Shadows over Camelot & Ticket to Ride)
Avalon Hill (Hasbro) (Vegas Showdown & Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Groeneweg
United States
Clear Lake
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the publisher usually doesn't weigh a lot on my decision making but that being said, I do pay attention to what Artipia Games and Dice Hate Me Games are up to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sheldon
United States
Springfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Just looking at my top 10

2 GMT games. The rest are a singletons.

Going a little further down the list...

GMT, PD-Verlag, and Fantasy Flight take up the bulk of my top 20-25.

When they come out with a game I watch closely...however in some cases it is a designer that drives my interest. PD-Verlag, because of Mac Gerdts for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The only publisher with more than one game in my Top 10 is nestorgames. I certainly own more games from that publisher than any other . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG wins for entries in my top 10 (three games), followed by Looney Labs (two games). Unsurprisingly, these are the companies whose releases I follow most closely.

I've also paid pretty close attention to Plaid Hat's releases, even though Summoner Wars (and its many expansions) is the only game of theirs I've ever bought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Blott wrote:

My 10 favorite games were published by (using the publisher I credit the game to, when as is frequently the case there are multiple; usually this is the original publisher, but not always):

Kosmos
(public domain)
TimJim/Prism
Avalon Hill
Deep Thought Games
Rio Grande Games
Avalon Hill
Queen
2F Spiele
Queen

Continuing down to 25, just for the fun of it:

Hans im Glück
Hans im Glück
Queen
Kosmos
Amigo
Days of Wonder
Hans im Glück
3M
Secobra
Goldsieber
Bambus
Ragnar Brothers
Studio GG
LudoArt
db Spiele

If you can see a strong pattern in there, you're doing better than I am...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
Is there one or more publisher(s) that you watch closely for all new releases because you are such a fan of their games?

Yes: Tasty Minstrel Games (TMG). Their most recent games have been fantastic, and whilst I only own the one (Gold West), I've played a few more and am consistently surprised at the production quality, artwork, and gameplay depth. Very excited to see what they come up with next. I'm also looking forward to their reprint of Colosseum, Yokohama and Chimera Station.

EDIT: Also, Gale Force 9. Their TV show tie-ins are just brilliant, not a bad game in the bunch... Firefly: The Game, Spartacus, Homeland, Sons of Anarchy... very, very excited for Star Trek: Ascendancy. As a bonus, their line of D&D products are top notch too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duchess of Erat
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. only missed North Star, but I do actually know some of their games, I just didn't know they were the publisher.
2. CGE
3. no
4. FFG - Descent, Runewars, Mansions of Madness, Arkham Horror and Space Hulk: Death Angel are all in my (somewhat dated) top 10. In my (just as dated) hot 10, CGE is the only publisher that's in there twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2. Anything released by Red Raven Games or Stonemaier Games has my attention.

3. Don't want to name names and turn the thread ugly...

4. 2 of my top 3 games are Stonemaier Games (Scythe and Viticulture Essential Edition) and 5 of my top 20 are from Red Raven (Above and Below, City of Iron: Second Edition, The Ancient World, Islebound, and Artifacts, Inc.), so it's really a tie between them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
Several of these publishers have published games I like. Many publish a variety of games. None of them seem to have a preponderance of my favorites.

I'd like to make a shout out to a few publishers that I like and offer games I like that were not listed in question 1, in alphabetical order: Eagle-Gryphon Games, Surprised Stare Games Ltd and Tasty Minstrel Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel King
United States
Franklin
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
velvetvoulge wrote:

Yes: Tasty Minstrel Games (TMG). Their most recent games have been fantastic, and whilst I only own the one (Gold West), I've played a few more and am consistently surprised at the production quality, artwork, and gameplay depth. Very excited to see what they come up with next.

Agreed. I have been really impressed with Tasty Minstrel Games. Orleans is in my top 10 games. Guilds of London is great as well. I don't own it, but I have enjoyed my plays of Aquasphere. I recently backed the deluxe version of Yokohama and am really excited about it. They just seem to be really hitting their stride with the mid-weight euros and I think I will always look at something they put out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Very strange that over 60% answered no for Lookout Games so far! Agricola, Isle of Skye, Caverna, Patchwork, Trambahn, Murano, Le Havre, Grand Austria Hotel, Ora et Labora? I'd assume anyone can name at least one of these, but just don't recognize Lookout as the publisher.

For me, the one publisher I follow very closely is Pearl Games! Troyes, Bruxelles 1893, Ginkgopolis, and Deus are all in my top 20 or 30 games of all time, which is an incredible hit rate given they've only published about a half dozen titles total, and I've played/rated just shy of 1,500 games!

The other publisher I'll always pay attention to is Splotter Spellen. When they hit, they really hit for me, but when they miss, they also miss pretty big for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John N.
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:

A nice mix and match of games. 2 from 2-F Spiele, 2 from Z-Man, and 2 from AEG. If I was the guess before researching I would have guessed that AEG had the edge. I really like what they do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, it's a bit odd for Asmodee to be listed in the poll, as Asmodee actually publishes very very few games. Instead, they mostly distribute games by various publishing labels such as Repos, Ludonaute, Space Cowboys, etc. Most games that people would label as published by Asmodee aren't actually published by Asmodee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
Up with goats! Down with sheep!
mbmbmbmbmb
Two of my top 10 are Fantasy Flight games and two more of my top 10 are now published by Fantasy Flight (though I own earlier editions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy wrote:

Very strange that over 60% answered no for Lookout Games so far!

I thought the same thing about Lookout. Maybe it's due to their relationship with Z-Man?

To the OP: what was your criteria for including a publisher in this list?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
TIM0THY wrote:
I thought the same thing about Lookout. Maybe it's due to their relationship with Z-Man?

I guess it depends how long ago people got into gaming. It's been quite some time since Lookout worked with Z-Man, as Lookout was purchased by Mayfair a couple years back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.