Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Ginn
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been trying to upload a photo several times and for some reason the photo is rotated incorrectly after it uploads. When I view the photo on my computer, it is rotated properly. I've tried saving it in multiple locations, viewing it in Photo Viewer, Picasa and even Paint. Every one of those programs shows the photo properly rotated. When I preview it in Windows, it is properly rotated.

Every way I can think of to look at the photo shows it properly rotated.

Until I upload it to BGG. Then it is reverted back to its original rotation. What is it about the uploader that won't accept the newly saved, correctly rotated photo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What was the photo taken with? And what was used to rotate it? Or is it just automatically shown as rotated correctly on your computer?

If it was taken with an iPhone/iPad, I have noticed that the rotation involved with those is not always done correctly (in a computer sense). Windows does whatever it does to rotate it to match the iDevice, but when using the photo elsewhere it is wrong.

I would try rotating it manually using Windows Photo Viewer or the Gimp and saving the result. Just rotate it in one direction and then back again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
motoyugota wrote:
try rotating it manually using Windows Photo Viewer or the Gimp and saving the result. Just rotate it in one direction and then back again.

This is what I have to do sometimes to reset a photo's orientation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Ginn
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I managed to "fix" it by loading the image into Paint (where it loads/appears correctly rotated), copy & pasted it into a new file, and saved it. Even though it appears EXACTLY like the original, this worked when I uploaded it.

I originally rotated the photo in Picasa, then copied the photo to a thumb drive before uploading to BGG from another computer. I suspect that although Picasa rotated the photo in a way the Windows recognizes and approves of, it didn't "save" it with that rotation complete in the meta-data. Thus, when it was opened by the mods at BGG, it appeared in its original state, un-rotated.

At any rate, I found work-around for now. Weird issue though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WapCaplet2001 wrote:
I managed to "fix" it by loading the image into Paint (where it loads/appears correctly rotated), copy & pasted it into a new file, and saved it. Even though it appears EXACTLY like the original, this worked when I uploaded it.

I originally rotated the photo in Picasa, then copied the photo to a thumb drive before uploading to BGG from another computer. I suspect that although Picasa rotated the photo in a way the Windows recognizes and approves of, it didn't "save" it with that rotation complete in the meta-data. Thus, when it was opened by the mods at BGG, it appeared in its original state, un-rotated.

At any rate, I found work-around for now. Weird issue though.

It is a known "problem."

Some cameras store metadata in the picture file to indicate the "correct" orientation of the picture. Most browsers now respect that metadata and will orient the picture accordingly. Paint doesn't store such metadata so the picture stays in the orientation in which it was saved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.